Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Finch

Acne actually changed me for the better.

I think acne has made me a better person, believe it or not. Before I had acne I would say that I was an extremely shallow person who would make comments on other people's appearances and not care how it made the other person feel, as long as my friends got a laugh out of it. :)# About a year and a half ago I started getting some minor pimples that I would pop and pick at to make go away, and of course that lead to a more severe case of acne. So instead of looking in the mirror and getting a huge shot of confidence, I felt like withering up and dying. ](*,) I discovered what it felt like to despise my appearance, and I began to hate myself for taking those shots at those people and being so superficial. Luckily my parents got me to a dermatologist and he was able to get me pretty much all cleared up, just have a few left over marks that are fading well. I don't even want to think about what kind of person I'd be if I hadn't gone through this. I see people now for who they are, not what they look like, and I want to lend all the support I can for those in need of it.

hey,

i agree with you.

acne and then depression have actually made me a nicer person too.

i know its hard in your teens / early 20s but really, don't worry too much. by the time you are clear and have regained confidence in your appearance you'll be such a nice person you'll make fantastic friends and meet someone to fall in love with... and best thing is you'll be a nicer person than you would've been!!!

believe it or not erverything has a positive.

i never realised just how many ppl have a problem with their appearance. i am a lot more sensitive about it now too. even people i think are gorgeous have a problem. my girlfriend is so not fat, she is just curvy and very attractive but she is always worried when anyway sees her tummy!!!

everyone is insecure really. even arrogant ppl are, they just pretent they're not.

loads of ppl hate themselves in fact. its amazing to think how many ppl dont go outside bcoz they hate themselves. after having acne and depression i'm actually very interested in other peoples problems with body image, self esteems etc etc. guess i'm interested in the psychology of it.

acne is an illness, so is obeasity, so is depression, anxiety, agrophobia, shitzophrenia etc etc ... so don't comment on it in a nasty way. its just as nasty as someone commenting on your acne!

c ya,

TIM

I agree with iofthetiger on this one. Before I had acne i was pretty quiet guy never really bothered anyone. Now i am a bitter prick. Whenever I see a guy that has like 3 girls all around him I get really upset because i know they would be around me if my face didn't look like hell. I have the build the height and weight just not the face to get all the girls. If my face ever clears up I am going to go after all the girls and never think twice.

I would say acne made me a better person.

But then the second I got my bad acne back again I'd curse it up and down telling you how it ruined my life.

Ohhh it's a vicious cycle :)

Yeah, I think acne is making me a better person. When my skin is clear I feel like somebody just unlocked the chains on my arms and legs. I go out and live life to the fullest even if it's oneday my face is totally clear. I go out talk to people, play baketball at the YMCA, I do everything , also though when I just get 4 little bumps on my face I completely shutdown and watch T.V in my room all day. So in a way it makes me a better person but a little more self conciese.

I have to agree that acne has actually helped me. I think I would be a totally different person if I had never suffered from acne. My acne started when high school started, and since then it has taught me several things:

1.) Do not judge. My friends are very critical of others' appearances and I've found myself defending numerous people because I know what it's like to feel insecure about something.

2.) People can be very critical. Don't take what they say about you to heart, or you'll destroy yourself.

3.) Everyone's insecure about something, and although you feel your problems are so obvious, they're temporary and probably not as bad as you think.

4.) You can't rely on your appearance to make you feel good about yourself. You have to find some other way to feel confident in yourself, because no one- not even supermodels- will be gorgeous until death. You can't let what you look like affect what you feel like or how you feel about yourself. On bad days, you have to suck it up and smile.

5.) Let people see the real you instead of your face. I don't wait for my skin to clear up before I step out of the house, because I've learned that that just doesn't make sense. If people judge you, thats their problem, not yours. I know some very vain people who freak out at the site of the smallest blemish, and it annoys me, but at the same time makes me feel better, because unlike them, I can handle it.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share because I thought this was a very interesting thread. Thanks for starting it!

my frenz always tease mi saying that i m pimple face ...

but i get over it quickly as long as they are joking...

but actually, they realli help mi alot , accompany mi to see doctor n tell mi their lifestlye of living n eating,

frenz do realli play a part in life n i m glad i haf a group of caring frenz surrounding mi :)/

I see people now for who they are, not what they look like, and I want to lend all the support I can for those in need of it.

Same here, man. :)

And Angel, great post.. Tell it like it is! =D>

8-[ I know this thread has stopped way long time ago, but I was just browsing. =D> Anyway, I think whatever has been said here is really great. biggrin.gif/ Keep the spirit, yeah!

I know that having bad acne has made me a better person, well not look wise mind you. I believe in Karma. And as a youth I was mean to a lot of my friends and family, even earning the nickname "Grinch". I would often kick friends out of my house for stupid things or insult family members, I basically treated people like objects I could get rid of whenever i wanted. After having acne for so long and slowly losing my friends and contact with my family because of it, I have learned to cherish time spent with them. I also have learned to not think so badly about people. Just watching reality shows on television where these people badmouth each other makes me realize how grateful i should be for no longer thinking that way.

i`m better in sum ways but not in others. Like i think i can handle more stuff now cos of acne but it still grates on me that i hjave it and makes me feel more anxious in social situations; when im not avoiding them althogther that is!