Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lemonverbena

If you knew then what you know now

If you were at the time when you first started getting acne what would you do and what wouldn't you do based on what you know now after experimenting everything? Do you think it would have made it better?

I never would have gone off the pill. I (mistakenly) thought the pill was making me gain weight (carefully ignoring my poor choices of food and portion sizes) and got off Tri-Cyclen about 8 years ago. When I had PERFECT skin that I never had to worry about. It was all downhill from there. That's what I would do differently if I could go back. :doh:

I would have never went to the derm...because he didn't know shit about my skin, didn't even realize it was sensitive. Never started using products with BP or SA in them....Proactiv....Murad... all the "3-step" systems that just burnt up my skin. I would have went on birth control years before I did. I would have realized that I had sensitive skin and used gentle products. I would have never started popping and picking at my skin...it became a bad habit. Now my skin is finally starting to clear up....I realized...I HAVE SENSITIVE SKIN...only took me three years to realize that people that have this skin type really shouldn't use harsh products...stupid me...I just kept trying and trying...thinking the next "acne solution" would work...I would have probably been clear years ago...I guess I'm hard headed.

I've made every mistake in the book over the past 30 years, so this list could get awfully long ...

-- I would have changed my washcloths and towels a lot more frequently.

-- I wouldn't have picked at my face with my nails.

-- I wouldn't have spent my 20s living at the tanning salon.

-- I would have worn SPF 15 on my face every day.

-- I would have stuck with Retin A after it cleared me up when I was 30, instead of flaking out and never going back to the derm to renew my prescription

-- I wouldn't have wasted 100s, perhaps 1000s of dollars on drugstore and spa products that dehydrated my skin and didn't help my acne.

-- I would have gotten online a whole lot earlier to research my skin problems.

I never would have gone on the pill because when I had to get off of it because of other health problems my skin developed cystic and inflammatory acne.

I would never have used the antibiodics derms kept putting me on and instead should have gone on spiro which none of them even suggested. I didn't know about spiro back then but sure wish I had.

i would have told my mother that she was crazy and acne is NOT a right of passage. one way or another i would have gone to the derm within the first year of acne...i wouldn't have used all the harsh things everyone swore would help (AHEM SEABREEZE cleanser!!!!!!!!) and like some others have said on here, i wouldnt have wasted all those years and money on product after product...research and common sense would have been priorities....at least after ten years of dealing with it i went to the derm and took the accutane (the only thing she felt would work seeing how bad it had gotten by that time). but it stinks knowing i prolly wouldnt have these scars if i hadn't waited ten years to do something.....