Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bookyone

Side effects of spironolactone

Dear All:

I am a 37 year old female on spironolactone 200 mg/daily since November 2005 for cystic acne. While this med. has reduced my acne significantly, I have been having sweaty palms and irregular menses for the past month or so. Has anyone else on this medication experienced these problems and if so what did you do about them?

Thanks and best wishes from bookyone :cool:

The irregular periods sound familiar, but I've never heard of anyone getting sweaty palms on the stuff. However, I'm not on spiro, so I'm not as educated on the subject.

From what I understand, to counter the irregular periods, a lot of women are also prescribed birth control pills to keep things regular. I see from your age that you may not want to have to do that, but you might want to talk to your dr about it.

My mom has been on spiro for the last 15 yrs or so and has had to deal with the weird periods, too. Unfortunately, from my mom's experience, it doesn't seem that this side effect goes away with time!

The irregular periods sound familiar, but I've never heard of anyone getting sweaty palms on the stuff. However, I'm not on spiro, so I'm not as educated on the subject.

From what I understand, to counter the irregular periods, a lot of women are also prescribed birth control pills to keep things regular. I see from your age that you may not want to have to do that, but you might want to talk to your dr about it.

My mom has been on spiro for the last 15 yrs or so and has had to deal with the weird periods, too. Unfortunately, from my mom's experience, it doesn't seem that this side effect goes away with time!

Hi Carys

Thanks for the info., it is appreciated. I think I will just lower the dosage to 150 mg and see what happens. I just hope the nasty cysts don't come back, they are the worst...

Best wishes from bookyone :cool: