Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gamerhomie

Accutane Log / Started February 19th, 2006

Hello everyone, I want to get a log going here. Was just looking for an Accutane forum so I could read up on posts, but I didn't think there would actually be one like this. So, here's the rundown:

I'm 16, I started a generic called Amnesteem, 40mg on February 19th.

For the next month (until the 20th of March) I am to take two pills a day, one in the morning, one at night.

I haven't had the best start, let me tell you what happened:

Sunday the 19th, Day 1:

At night I go and take my first pill, nothing happens. I go to sleep, and there's no school on Monday.

Monday the 20th, Day 2:

I wake up, nothing yet, take it at night, nothing yet.

Tuesday the 21st, Day 3:

I take it in the morning, my skin is starting to feel dry, and I'm starting to break out. I think nothing of it, go to school. By the end of the school day I'm beat, I feel weak, sleepy, so instead of doing homework, I go to sleep at about 4:00 pm. My mom wakes mew up at around 7:30, I'm burning up, hot, sweaty, almost can't breath. At least that's what it seemed like. I go back to sleep, thinking already, great, I'm sick. I wake up at around 8:15, I'm worse, my back hurts, can't move without having pain, seems like I'm suffocating. I rush downstairs, tell my parents, but they don't think much of it. They take my temperature, and it's 103°F. I'm starting to freak out, thinking I should go to the hospital or at least do something. All my parents do is tell me to take a cold shower. Now, maybe some of you guys have seen the movie Jacobs Ladder, where Jacob is burning up and then put into a bathtub filled with ice? I felt just like that, exactly. So I had nothing else to do, I did it, and it was really hurting, but afterwards, I started to feel better. I took my pill at around 12:30 am. because up until that point I was deciding if I should continue, if it was all because of the pill. Well, I took the pill, and went to sleep, sick.

Wednesday the 22nd, Day 4:

Wake up, didn't go to school, felt better though. Just felt.. sick. Nothing abnormal. I had a sore throat, a cold sore in the corner of my lips, and a headache. Skin is really dry, especially after taking a shower with all that water. Lips feel like their broken, I have chapstick. Kind of breaking out.

Thursday the 23rd, Day 5:

Wake up, again don't go to school, same day.

Friday the 24th, Day 6:

On Friday I woke up bad. Same after effects, except now, I cough, have constant flem, and I can't talk clearly. Now, before I go further, I know I would like to get my tonsils removed. It's because of this reason that I think I become sick so often, and when I do, it's a little severe. Also, when I become sick now, it's hard to get rid of. So Friday I decide to go to school, still sick. Wasn't a great day but I went only because I'm afraid I already missed many days this year, plus I want to catch up on homework I missed when I was at home. I get a nosebleed at night. Now, I'm wondering. Should I tilt my head back, or risk losing a lot of blood? I mean, when I had this nosebleed, it just wouldn't stop, my hand was drenched in blood. So I tilted back, swallowed a lot (ACH), and sat there for 15 minutes.

Saturday the 25th, Day 7:

Wake up the same, not much. Had a crazy weekend all together, but that's another story. Focusing back onto my medication, dry skin, chapped lips I keep licking, breakout on my neck (that's always been the worst for me). Nosebleed slowly came back, held it back.

Sunday the 26th, Day 8:

Wake up, still feeling sick. Kinda spitting blood out (from the nosebleed), flem, constantly. Still can't talk, I talk in a hoarse voice. I will tell you, I had a project due on Monday morning, so all Sunday my friend and I worked on it, from 2 pm. to 1:30 in the morning at his house. While over there I had a mild nosebleed, spit flem, etc, etc...

Monday the 27th, Day 9:

Alright, finally caught up. But I didn't wake up normally like I do almost everyday. In fact, I went to sleep at 2:30 in the morning, took my pill, and woke up at 4:00 in the morning because we needed to finish the project. Finished it at 7, half an hour before school started. Everyone's ready to go to school, but then I decide I shouldn't go. I'm still sick, I feel terrible, just feel worn out. Same side effects, and the chapstick itself hurts. I don't like it. But oh well.

So, here I am, typing away. I have a doctors appointment scheduled for tomorrow evening, and I think I'm going to bed. (Only got 1 1/2 hours of sleep) There are going to be typos in this log, but I'm not going over it now. Future ones will be hopefully shorter.

Now, after this week, I have a question: Can I take normal prescriptions while taking my Accutane without hassle? Or can I not take any other medicine period? Thanks to whoever read it, I congratulate you.

Ah, I was planning on posting an update on Friday, but things got in the way, and I fell asleep. :mellow:

Ah, I actually have a lot to post since last time, but it's been such a good and bad week that it's flown by.

So, the Friday before this one when I posted last, I was still sick. I decided to finally get an appointment settled, and I was scheduled for Tuesday (February 31st). By then, I have had a nosebleed, and started to get some side effects. I started to see some skin peeling on both of my hands, and I had chapped lips. Thats also about the time the chapped lips were getting pretty bad, as well as the skin on my face. I got some medicine to tone down my coughing and aching, and since Wednesday, it has left me completely.

I'll tell you, right now, I feel good, and my acne, well, it has gotten better I must say. Though it's not all good news unfortunately. I've had muscle pain. For example, I go and bend over to brush my teeth, and when I'm done about a minute later, my back really hurts for a few seconds. This happens when I go from a bending over position to a standing one. Also, about the skin on my hand. Right now, the skin peeling has gone, and I have red marks on both my hands which are starting to hurt. In that same place my skin is getting bumpy. My doctor (not dermatologist) said on Tuesday that it was just some kind of rash. Let's hope so.

Chapped lips are such a huge problem, probably the worst, yet it's the most common side effect. Chap stick isn't working well enough, it hardly prevent sit from coming back in the next few minutes. I use a cream for my face, thats working pretty good.

I also missed a dose I was supposed to take last night (doh!). Nothing much else, I'll update in a few days. I hope it keeps up like it is, it seems to be doing it's job.

Okay, March 11th. Everything has been going good, I think Accutane is really pushing all the acne into nothing. I see it's cleared up on my face, almost nothing there. Arms are better, as well as back and chest. Only place left if my neck that hasn't seen much improvement.

Side effects, ouch. My dry lips. Since March 5th, the last time I posted, they have really gotten dry to the point of bleeding, especially on the sides of my mouth. I can hardly open it in the morning, and I can't laugh. Wren I do, I rip my lips. >< The dryness on my hand, that's going away finally. It also went up my arm in spots, but I don't think that's anything. I tried to put some ointment on, chap stick, cream, vasaline, but none of it's working.

I'll be going to the dermatologist in 9 days, so well see what he has to say. Other than that, there isn't much else. I want to show a picture, but I don't have a camera.

Im glad you are seeing results. I am kind of dry too but not terrible. This sounds sort of gross, but I am a girl, and don't do many activities to make me sweat so when I shower I don't always use soap. I would say everyother day. I wash the underarms because I hate the feeling of the old deoderant on! Eww i can't beleive I am telling people this! But I am afraid the soap will really dry out my skin. I get out and slather a TON of lotion on. Of course I still smell like a rose all day long!

Im glad you are seeing results. I am kind of dry too but not terrible. This sounds sort of gross, but I am a girl, and don't do many activities to make me sweat so when I shower I don't always use soap. I would say everyother day. I wash the underarms because I hate the feeling of the old deoderant on! Eww i can't beleive I am telling people this! But I am afraid the soap will really dry out my skin. I get out and slather a TON of lotion on. Of course I still smell like a rose all day long!

Actually, you're right. The dermatologist said use soap as little as you can, as in don't use an excessive amount. I've also noticed the dry skin is practically gone after a few hours and once it gets dark out. Just the few hours after taking a shower is terrible.

It's been ten days, nothing major to notify. I wen't to the dermatologist this afternoon for an appointment/update.

From now on, I will be taking one 40mg pill once a day, either morning or night. My next checkup will be in two months.

Good news, all side-effects will tone down a bit, I was getting irritated with super red hands. It's pretty intense dry skin, it broke the top layer of my skin, causing it to bleed in a spot.

Bad news? Maybe the process will take longer now, not sure about that.

Hi Gamerhomie

Good luck with your Accutane journey..

Hope your journey is the smooth and nice one..

I am in my first month and breaking out like crazy..

As I can remember I start breaking out from the 3rd days.. heheh gosh..

Hopefully in the end we'll be clear..

Hang on there..

Hi Gamerhomie

Good luck with your Accutane journey..

Hope your journey is the smooth and nice one..

I am in my first month and breaking out like crazy..

As I can remember I start breaking out from the 3rd days.. heheh gosh..

Hopefully in the end we'll be clear..

Hang on there..

Hey there. I actually haven't been breaking out. It's all been going away very slowly, which is a plus. I just got my next supply for the next two months, one pill a day.

I have one problem that no one else here probably has: my tonsils need to go. They cause me to get sick all the time, I'm sick right now, and it's spring break, and for the past few days I've been sitting at home.

I got my lips under control, now they don't seem chapped anymore. My hands are getting a lot better, almost no dry skin there.

Hi..

How's things going on..

Good to hear that you don't have a breakout.. :)

Hope you don't have to have one..

It seems a lot of people in this blog also having some immunity problem since taking this medicine..

About your tonsils.. I am not sure about that.. may be you can ask your doctor about it ^_^.

have a nice day and take care

Woo, two months.

I have no idea why I haven't updated. I haven't forgotten. But I still see an improvement. Pretty much no more dry lips. I'm leaving for two months to Poland in a few days.

I wen't to my dermotologist about a week ago, and since I'm leaving, he brought down my dose from one a day to one 40mg pill every other day. I think that's too small of a dose, but I can only have 60 pills at one time. My worst is my neck still, but even that's better. I mean besides that, school just got out (last day is a half day on Monday) and after school I'm getting on my flight.

Well...

This is kind of a long time coming but still, better late than never, huh? I never abandoned this log, it's always been in my bookmarks, I just never got to it. My last post was right before I left for my summer vacation and the last few months I've been back home. There's only been two significant changes and I don't know if either are from Amnesteem.

1) before I took off for my vacation in early June I weighed about 195 lbs. In early August when I came back I was 225 lbs.! I've kept the same weight and soon it'll be time to take it off.

2) In early October I had a REALLY bad stomach ache for about two weeks, on and off.

Now currently I'm scheduled for an appointment with my dermatologist at the end of this month (haven't been there for about two months). I'm taking one pill every other day. My chapped lips were gone for a long time, now they've started to come back (winter season). I now know that because I have had acne for the past 7 years and have not treated it sooner I have scarring. I think it's permanent. So finally I was able to scrounge up two pictures to show at least somewhat of a transition. I mean, what's the point without pictures? The one on the right is really bad quality but you can see some scars.

IPB Image