Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BHA765

Salicylic Acid or Benzoyl Peroxide

BP has worked better for me. I combined them once for 3 days, by combine I mean I used them both at the same time, and it broke me out worse. BP is definitely much better but, if you had realy mild acne SA does the job without overdrying.

I think it depends on your type of acne. I was on Diane 35 which did alot to clear my skin, but i was still breaking out a little bit. The BP would help me breakout less in combination with the Diane, but when i switched to SA I cleared completely. Although without the Diane the SA does very little.

BP is much more effective than SA for me. The moisturizer I use with my BP has a little SA in it, though, and I think my face wash might too, so I guess the SA might be helping a wee bit. SA only seems to be good at drying small things out.

combining sa and bp for spot treatment on already-formed acne is pretty effective. sa opens the pore, and bp goes in for the kill

Guest PokaHotAz

for huge pimples i use both SA and BP ... i us ethe SA first (neutrogena acne mark fading peel 2% SA) then i peel it off after 20 minutes(from the blemish itself) and then i follow the regimen, which contains 2.5 Bp ....I apply my moisturizer 15-20 min. later...and then put a big glob of the 10% bp over my moisturizer ...brings the zit to a head after several hours ... always works

I'm currently using salysilic acid stuff, with azeloic acid stuff whatever that's called and it's worked better than bp gel which didn't really work for me that well in healing my skin... I broke out a lot more with BP gel but that might be the fact that I'm on antibiotics atm rofl...

I went from BP to SA

BP = good for killing pimples but leaves red marks.

SA = good for killing pimples and leaves no red marks.

I say use both for results but if you can only use one because you have sensitive skin,

Pick the SA just because its a exfoliant. Killing two birds with one stone :D

I went from BP to SA

I say use both for results but if you can only use one because you have sensitive skin,

Actually that's not true. SA does help but not really for inflamation. It's depends on what type of skin you have. It's breaks some out and clears others.

And I don't think it exfoliates and using it will not gurantee no scars.

Sa works better for me and my skin. Doesn't dry it out.

At the time(in that horrible..horrible pic of mine)

I was using "Derma E", and that had BP in it, as well as weird natural stuff..that prolly, most likely had irriatating fraigents

BP is way to harsh, its only good for preventing infections in the pimples though.

SA is a better bet, but if you have senstive skin(like me)

Make sure you keep your skin hydrated..

I went from BP to SA

Actually that's not true. SA does help but not really for inflamation. It's depends on what type of skin you have. It's breaks some out and clears others.

And I don't think it exfoliates and using it will not gurantee no scars.

From what've gather on google is that SA works better than AHA's in exfoliating your skin because it's a oil soluble and that it penetrates deeper into the pores.

i never said anything about scars...?

Salicylic acid for me. SA is an exfoliate and it does help with redmarks. I used BP for about 6 years before I switched to salicylic acid. My acne is mild and is primarily clogged pores and blackheads.

For me, SA is the better option for long term use. It works in keeping my pores very clean and clear. And my skin can actually handle it. After a few weeks of "purging" with the SA my skin is pretty clear.

When I used BP long term I had the nastiest driest skin with only minimal improvement.

I currently use BP to spot treat large blemishes (especially those which have been extracted).

Both are dehydrating and irritating and should be used with caution.

SA: good for clearing pores at surface level (comedones will still form underneath)

BP: good for killing bacteria (not very effective against comedones)

If you have a lot of clogged pores, you need a retinoid or similar product to purge the pores. SA works very well in tandem with retinoids because it keeps the surface clear while pores are purging ... you just have to watch out for the dryness & irritation factor ...

I'm trying to find a good SA product! Can anyone recommend one? I'd prefer one that specifies and promotes SA alone without other ingredients aimed to treat seperate skin conditions such as wrinkle reducers, 2-in-1's among others. I think they just make things worse...I want one sort of like Dan's BP. Is there such an SA product?

GD2006,

SalAc is a good SA cleanser (in the sense that it is properly formulated pH and specifically only for acne), you might look for it. I used it for years and years in conjunction with my prescription topicals. My derm recommended it.

I'm trying to find a good SA product! Can anyone recommend one? I'd prefer one that specifies and promotes SA alone without other ingredients aimed to treat seperate skin conditions such as wrinkle reducers, 2-in-1's among others. I think they just make things worse...I want one sort of like Dan's BP. Is there such an SA product?

Well, there's Neutrogena's Rapid Clear gel ... that's pretty easy to find. Here are the ingredients:

Active Ingredients: Salicylic Acid 2%

Inactive Ingredients: SD Alcohol 40 (38%), Witch Hazel Extract (Hamamelis Virginiana), Hydroxyethylcellulose, Propylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Capryloyl Glycine, Sarcosine, Cinnamomum Zeylanicum Bark Extract, Cedrus Atlantica Manet, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Hexylene Glycol, Glycerin, Sodium Citrate, Fragrance

Neutrogena Clear Pore Treatment. Active ingredient is 2% salicylic acid. Inactive ingredients are water, PEG-32, PVM/MA Decadiene Crosspolymer, Sodium Hydroxide and Fragrance.

SA works great for my body acne ( i'm pretty much rid of it!) but doesnt do much for my face. BP on my face for sure. This, plus implementing some holistic remedies ( flax oil, green tea, etc) and i'm nearly clear there too!