Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
subliiime

Cyst On My Nose.... =(

Hi, I just recently stumbled upon this very informative site...

Anyways, I have what I think is a large red cyst on my nose. I've had it for about a week now....it started out pretty large the first 3 or 4 days and since then it had reduced *slightly*. I mean, its still pretty large and noticable. I've had problems with cysts before, but usually just on my cheeks and some on my forehead once in awhile, but never any on my nose, and never any this large. I have many scars and a pretty depressive state of mind. Anyways, I've been reading about these cortizone shots from dermatologists to reduce them quickly and prevent scarring. My question is, can it be too late to get the shot for the cyst? Again, I've had this thing for about 9 days, the first 4 days there was a noticeable feeling of a little ball inside of it at the touch, but now it doesnt feel like a little ball in there anymore but theres still definitely some liquid in it. Another question, I don't have any medical coverage at the moment. Does anybody have any idea how much it would be to get this shot without a medical plan? Is it even possible?

Any help/feedback would be awesome.

Thanks all!

Most people will disagree with me on this, but this is how I deal with cysts: in the cysts early stage when it is painful, i don't touch it. However, after a few days when it no longer hurts, 9 days is perfectly acceptable in my opinion, i use a sterilized needle to drain whatever pus/liquid is left inside. I find it very important to drain whatever is left of the cyst because in my experience it otherwise comes back

Again, this is MY way; i'm not pretending to say that it's the greatest way but it works really well for me.

I've had dozens of cortisone shots over the years and only once or twice did I ever get atrophy and they filled in with collagen within a couple of months and I have really sensitive skin so I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's only when they put too much Kenalog (the usual cortisone used for this) that you might get atrophy but most derms know what they are doing.

You can call your derm to see if they can see you right away. If you don't have a derm, you could call a few and see if they'll take you. The cost will depend on what state you live in and how much each individual doctor charges for an injection. You can ask the receptionist how much they charge. Around where I live I think the charge is about $45 or so but can vary with the doctor.

I know I had one on the bridge of my nose right in the middle and that is one injection that hurt like hell. But it didn't atrophy.

Mag

Sublime,

From experience, I had a cyst on my nose as soon as several months ago which took nearly two weeks to fade. The only saving factor was the fact it formed the last week of finals, and lasted one week into Christmas break. It was quite tolerable, since my interaction with strangers was limited.

I'm not sure if yours is currently full of puss, but mine was on the side of my nose--near the curvature next to the eye socket. During the first few days I could actually feel the pressure if I pressed my eyebrows down hard enough. It was merely a bump until the third or fourth day when the pimple pushed through the surface of my skin. Obviously, it wasn't a pleasant experience. In addition to the unsighly distraction it served upon my face, it was difficult to avoid brushing against the cyst because I had a damn itch there every five seconds.

But surprisingly, when it faded, there was no scarring. I can't assure your experience will be similar, but I'd wait it out. Trust me when I say it wasn't a simply whitehead, but the mother of all cysts. Painful, large, and refusing to die.