Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SufferinginSD

"People with gross skin bother me"

It's been a while since I posted, but I feel compelled to after an experience I had today at work...My job is in retail (clothing store) and today I got a reality check about how my boss feels about us acne sufferers :mad:

We were really busy today so my boss had to help with customers...I saw this one girl approach her to get help picking out some clothes and I noticed my usually super-friendly boss was being a little bit rude and not paying much attention to her :think: ...But I was all the way across the store so I didn't realize why..Then, as the girl came toward my direction to try on some clothes, I realized why...She had very noticeabe acne all over her face and obviously didn't bother putting makeup on to cover it up (good for her!)...When I saw her I felt really bad for her :( ...My acne has been pretty severe at certain points in my life so I understand how she was probably feeling...But she was super nice and of course I didn't treat her any different than any other customer...

So she tries on the clothes and comes back out in the store and a few minutes later my boss pulls me aside and whispers.."Hey can you help that girl over there..She's really bugging me." So I go help the girl pick out some more stuff...After she leaves the store I asked my boss why she thought the girl was so annoying and then she drops a bomb and says "People like that just bother me." And I ask what she was referring to and she has the nerve to say "people with gross skin like her." :shock: I was absolutely floored! Even though she wasn't talking about me, having acne myself, I was shocked and insulted to hear that coming from my boss :mad: : ...It felt just as bad as if she had said it about me...It makes me wonder the kind of stuff she says about me to my co-workers behind my back :think: (i would consider my acne to be mild to moderate but i still have scarring).

This has really given me some insight into the mind of a clear skinned person and how they view people with acne. Has anyone else had an experience like this where you just can't believe that such cruel and insulting words could come out of someone's mouth? Sorry for the long rambling post but I needed to vent about this :wall:

] I feel like such a bitch saying this, but sometimes talking to people with really severe acne makes me uncomfortable. It's not so much that i'm grossed out, but i have this terrible habit of staring at noticable things like that. Even if i have a single zit on my face, everytime i look in the mirror i find myself obsessively staring at it.

This has really given me some insight into the mind of a clear skinned person and how they view people with acne.

No it didn't. It only gave you some insight into the mind of your boss. Otherwise, you generalize. Believe me that most of clear skinned people don't give a damn about acne.

There is so many opinions out there that you wouldn't find a single person who doesn't bother someone else for some reason. You know she or he has long hair, short hair, no hair, fat, ugly, funny voice etc.

Personally, I don't mind people's flaws as long as they obviously can't do anything about it.

Guest Tenshi

This has really given me some insight into the mind of a clear skinned person and how they view people with acne.

No it didn't. It only gave you some insight into the mind of your boss. Otherwise, you generalize. Believe me that most of clear skinned people don't give a damn about acne.

There is so many opinions out there that you wouldn't find a single person who doesn't bother someone else for some reason. You know she or he has long hair, short hair, no hair, fat, ugly, funny voice etc.

Personally, I don't mind people's flaws as long as they obviously can't do anything about it.

i agree with u. it wasnt clear skinned ppl, it was the boss's mentality. some ppl do assume that ppl with acne are doing something wrong..like eating too much junk food or not washing our face..

I can't believe she would have the audacity to say that to you. It's no surprise that people think that way. But she's your boss, at a place of work, being rude about a customer because of her skin. What a great example for all the employees. I would have found someone who was being a bitch, and say to my boss "Can you help that person? She's being a bitch" and then look at her straight in the eyes and say "No offense against you" HA that probably wouldn't make it any better but when I get mad I get mad.

Best case scenario: Your boss only said that because she too used to suffer from acne and it reminds her of that time.

However, it's more likely that she's just a huge bitch.

Most retail chains have a person who handles complaints about supervisors. It might not do anything, but I would report her because that is a form of discrimination in the workplace and it sounds like she doesn't need to be in any position of authority. C'mon, if she can't even assist a customer just because they have acne. That's pretty sad.

I think legally, you're allowed to discriminate anything you want except for race, religion, and possibly handicap.

it is really inappropriate to speak in a disparaging way about a person like that! i think that this incident reveals at least in part the common connotation between people with acne and poor hygeine. we all know here that acne sufferers probably spend more time on personal hygeine than anyone else (except maybe those in hollywood?), so that often unspoken assumption is really unfair and untrue, but what can you do?

Guest <*>

What pisses me off is that you would rarely hear someone take the piss out of a cancer sufferer. But it is somehow acceptable to take the piss out of somebody suffering with acne. As far as I know acne is still a disease, just like cancer is.

I've encountered people like that. I could have been that girl a few months ago. I had a huge breakout of moderate cystic acne all last summer into the early fall of last year. About 85% of my face was covered, and I never did cover it up. People at work were like "you eat too much chocolate"... "don't you wash your face." A girl I work with even complained to my boss about my "hygiene" problem, referring to my uncontrolled acne (the same girl who asked me if I washed my face). My boss even mentioned to me that I should cover it up because it didn't look "professional." Now, I work as a cosmetic chemist. We all have degrees in Chemisrty or Biology and most of us have graduate degrees in Cosmetic Science....we know about skin.....

They obviously didn't know about tact or good manners.

Maybe you should have taught them about baseball bats....baseball bats and THIER skin..........

just kidding. That's awful, Labgirl. I'd hate to work with people who should know better but don't.

Guest Tenshi

Yeah people (all girls) have said when I was a young teen that I had a hygiene problem because of my face to teachers. What a bunch of bitches.

they were just jealous..

Guest Tenshi

Yeah people (all girls) have said when I was a young teen that I had a hygiene problem because of my face to teachers. What a bunch of bitches.

they were just jealous..

How do you figure? :rolleyes:

because obviously even if u had some acne, look at u...u have a beautiful face. girls always go out of their way to pull down the girls that they are jealous of.. otherwise why would they go to all the trouble of saying that to the teacher? either they are ignorant or it just made them feel better about themselves..

They obviously didn't know about tact or good manners.

Maybe you should have taught them about baseball bats....baseball bats and THIER skin..........

just kidding. That's awful, Labgirl. I'd hate to work with people who should know better but don't.

They also had tons to say about the situation I went through last year. It was somehow my fault that somehow this deragnged stalker found me. I shouldn't have been so nice. I should have just ignored him... Even when emailed me death threats at work and send two dozen roses to my job, with a card attached that says "hopefully your blood is as red as these roses are...I can't wait to find out" It was somehow all my fault...

Once it got really scary, the same girl who suggested that I wash my face suggested that I call the police and get a restraining order....

Oh wow...I hadn't thought of that yet :wall: ....

Wait....that's the document he sent me with a drawing on the back of him disemboweling me....the caption on the bottom read...."you thing this thing can protect you????"

I swear I work with the smartest people ever.....

All that aside.... I think the smartest thing my boss ever said was that I was in denial of my fear and it was coming out my skin....I laughed it off at the time, but looking back at it, it really did make sense

it is really inappropriate to speak in a disparaging way about a person like that! i think that this incident reveals at least in part the common connotation between people with acne and poor hygeine. we all know here that acne sufferers probably spend more time on personal hygeine than anyone else (except maybe those in hollywood?), so that often unspoken assumption is really unfair and untrue, but what can you do?

It really is surprising how many people out there that see acne that way - as something that's caused by the person being "unclean" or "unhealthy". It's just ignorance - they've never suffered with acne so they assume it should be easy to treat and get rid of like many skin problems out there.