Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
californiaCA

cleanser to take away rough film of dead skin?

I have had a lot of success with CSR in clearing almost all of my active acne, but I feel like the BP leaves a film of dry, dead skin on my face. I feel like my skin now has a thin layer of dry skin thats rough and blocks moisturizer from soaking in, and causes some comedones (little flesh-colored bumps that sometimes turn into big red zits).

I dont get much acne thanks to the BP, but I feel that if I could figure out how to get rid of this filmy layer of dead skin, then the BP could penetrate more deeply, pores wouldnt get clogged with dead skin and I would have clearer, fresher, softer skin.

I want to know if anyone has found a cleanser that seemed to take away all dry skin and leave it smooth, soft and absorbable (able to "soak in" all the moisturizer I put on my face).

Or... does anyone think that exfoliating VERY gently with a SOFT washcloth might do the trick? I have told people not to do this in the past, but now I am wondering if it works, as long as its very gentle and soft and not too harsh.

Any thoughts?

Guest Tenshi

hmm.id say exfoliating would maybe make that worse.. maybe gentle peeling as in BHA's..not actual scrubs. Beta Hydroxy Acids. dont squeeze those little bumps. also aspirin mask and using Apple Cider Vinegar diluted in water helps too.. try to use a cleanser that wont leave a filmy residue..

hmm.id say exfoliating would maybe make that worse.. maybe gentle peeling as in BHA's..not actual scrubs. Beta Hydroxy Acids. dont squeeze those little bumps. also aspirin mask and using Apple Cider Vinegar diluted in water helps too.. try to use a cleanser that wont leave a filmy residue..

Using a soft washcloth would work well; exfoliating is hit and miss. If you use St. Ive's apricot scrub it may initially improve things, but after continued use, it could make things worse. If you gently use a soft wash cloth when you wash your face, you'll just remove the top layer with minimal irritation. Hope this helps!

you might consider adding in a moisturizer with some AHA in it. I'm not sure which products you are currently using, but typically when people add in a bit of glycolic/lactic acid, it helps with that.

http://www.acne.org/biggestmistakes.html

Try your very best not to experiment with exfoliating or new medications 'til you've been completely clear for some time.

Instead, switch to Eucerin Skin Renewal mositurizer or another low percentage alpha hydroxy or lactic acid moisturizer. I am such a broken record. lol. But this is an important part of the regimen.

Alright, I've seem to come across this problem and have been fed up with trying to understand where its coming from. Nothing seems to effect it, or remove it.

It's incredibly annoying because if I use BP, it clumps up. If I use SA, it irritates my skin. If I use NOTHING but water, it still can't be removed. Even when I shave the skin off it forms several days later. Nothing more irritating then a patch of dead skin forming on the side of my nostrils one day after removing it. What makes it worse is I don't have trouble with acne, but seemingly have had this dead-skin issue since it went away.

There has to be a simply way to solve this problem. I'll try the suggestions listed above of moisturizer, but last time I used it (even noncogmogenic moisturizer) it broke out my face.

I started to gently exfoliate with a soft washcloth a couple times a week (after I'd been on the regimen for a few months and 100% clear). It makes a huge difference in the way my skin looks (much smoother and very few flaky spots).

I use a washcloth that has been washed with warm water and a little antibacterial soap before I put it on my face. Then I gently rub it across where the flakes are and it removes them. It does make my face red for a little while afterwards but then I put on moisturizer, one without AHA, and the redness goes away after a bit. You can try that but if the redness doesn't go away that soon then maybe it's going to bother your skin.