Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pheremone

Oxidative stress and Acne

Oxidative stress in patients with acne vulgaris.

Arican O, Kurutas EB, Sasmaz S.

Acne vulgaris is one of the common dermatological diseases and its pathogenesis is multifactorial. In this study, we aim to determine the effects of oxidative stress in acne vulgaris. Forty-three consecutive acne patients and 46 controls were enrolled. The parameters of oxidative stress such as catalase (CAT), glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD), superoxide dismutase (SOD), and malondialdehyde (MDA) in the venous blood of cases were measured spectrophotometrically. The values compared with control group, the relation between the severity and distribution of acne, and the correlation of each enzyme level were researched. CAT and G6PD levels in patients were found to be statistically decreased, and SOD and MDA levels were found to be statistically increased ($P<.001$ ). However, any statistical difference and correlation could not be found between the severity and distribution of lesions and the mean levels of enzymes. In addition, we found that each enzyme is correlated with one another. Our findings show that oxidative stress exists in the acne patients. It will be useful to apply at least one antioxidant featured drug along with the combined acne treatment.

so try going to your store, getting vitamin C.

Melatonin is also a fantastic antioxidant, also a great sleep aid.

do a search online for antioxidants, and supplement up.

Also, if systemically this doesn't work, topically along with the BP wash, tretinoin, etc might help.

i think i came across that one the other day.

definately, adding antioxidants is one of the best things for treating acne... both internally and externally.

my nightly facial is loaded with antioxidants from fresh kiwi and wild blueberries.

i plan on adding the following antioxidant-rich extracts:

extracts of - strawberries, blueberries, escobillo, blackberries, cranberries, grape extract, pomegranate extract, and green tea extract. here is the product:

http://www.vitacost.com/NSIGreenTeaBerryBlend

i might try adding mangosteen extract after just seeing this study:

Antimicrobial effects of Thai medicinal plants against acne-inducing bacteria

Mullika Traidej Chomnawanga, , , Suvimol Surassmoa, Veena S. Nukoolkarnb and Wandee Gritsanapanb

aDepartment of Microbiology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University, 447 Sri Ayudthaya Road, Rachathevi, Bangkok 10400, Thailand

bDepartment of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University, 447 Sri Ayudthaya Road, Rachathevi, Bangkok 10400, Thailand

Received 16 December 2004; revised 24 March 2005; accepted 13 April 2005. Available online 11 July 2005.

Abstract

Propionibacterium acnes and Staphylococcus epidermidis have been recognized as pus-forming bacteria triggering an inflammation in acne. The present study was conducted to evaluate antimicrobial activities of Thai medicinal plants against these etiologic agents of acne vulgaris. Crude extracts were tested for antimicrobial activities by disc diffusion and broth dilution methods. The results from the disc diffusion method showed that 13 medicinal plants could inhibit the growth of Propionibacterium acnes. Among those, Senna alata, Eupatorium odoratum, Garcinia mangostana, and Barleria lupulina had strong inhibitory effects. Based on a broth dilution method, the Garcinia mangostana extract had the greatest antimicrobial effect. The MIC values were the same (0.039 mg/ml) for both bacterial species and the MBC values were 0.039 and 0.156 mg/ml against Propionibacterium acnes and Staphylococcus epidermidis, respectively. In bioautography assay, the Garcinia mangostana extract produced strong inhibition zones against Propionibacterium acnes. Antimicrobial activity from fractions of column chromatography revealed one of the active compounds in Garcinia mangostana could be mangostin, a xanthone derivative. Taken together, our data indicated that Garcinia mangostana had a strong inhibitory effect on Propionibacterium acnes and Staphylococcus epidermidis. Therefore, this plant would be an interesting topic for further study and possibly for an alternative treatment for acne.

Keywords: Acne vulgaris; Propionibacterium acnes; Staphylococcus epidermidis; Antimicrobial activity

i think i came across that one the other day.

definately, adding antioxidants is one of the best things for treating acne... both internally and externally.

my nightly facial is loaded with antioxidants from fresh kiwi and wild blueberries.

i plan on adding the following antioxidant-rich extracts:

extracts of - strawberries, blueberries, escobillo, blackberries, cranberries, grape extract, pomegranate extract, and green tea extract. here is the product:

http://www.vitacost.com/NSIGreenTeaBerryBlend

i might try adding mangosteen extract after just seeing this study:

Antimicrobial effects of Thai medicinal plants against acne-inducing bacteria

Mullika Traidej Chomnawanga, , , Suvimol Surassmoa, Veena S. Nukoolkarnb and Wandee Gritsanapanb

aDepartment of Microbiology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University, 447 Sri Ayudthaya Road, Rachathevi, Bangkok 10400, Thailand

bDepartment of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University, 447 Sri Ayudthaya Road, Rachathevi, Bangkok 10400, Thailand

Received 16 December 2004; revised 24 March 2005; accepted 13 April 2005. Available online 11 July 2005.

Abstract

Propionibacterium acnes and Staphylococcus epidermidis have been recognized as pus-forming bacteria triggering an inflammation in acne. The present study was conducted to evaluate antimicrobial activities of Thai medicinal plants against these etiologic agents of acne vulgaris. Crude extracts were tested for antimicrobial activities by disc diffusion and broth dilution methods. The results from the disc diffusion method showed that 13 medicinal plants could inhibit the growth of Propionibacterium acnes. Among those, Senna alata, Eupatorium odoratum, Garcinia mangostana, and Barleria lupulina had strong inhibitory effects. Based on a broth dilution method, the Garcinia mangostana extract had the greatest antimicrobial effect. The MIC values were the same (0.039 mg/ml) for both bacterial species and the MBC values were 0.039 and 0.156 mg/ml against Propionibacterium acnes and Staphylococcus epidermidis, respectively. In bioautography assay, the Garcinia mangostana extract produced strong inhibition zones against Propionibacterium acnes. Antimicrobial activity from fractions of column chromatography revealed one of the active compounds in Garcinia mangostana could be mangostin, a xanthone derivative. Taken together, our data indicated that Garcinia mangostana had a strong inhibitory effect on Propionibacterium acnes and Staphylococcus epidermidis. Therefore, this plant would be an interesting topic for further study and possibly for an alternative treatment for acne.

Keywords: Acne vulgaris; Propionibacterium acnes; Staphylococcus epidermidis; Antimicrobial activity

i found this product is already standardized to 10% mangostin:

http://www.vitacost.com/NSIMangosteenExtractXanoMax

i wonder if it would kill p. acnes if used internally...

yea seemingly the antioxidants are a good idea, however, it's unclear whether topical or sytemic approaches are better or even dosage! We could be way off in dosage on either because of the poor system we have now from the FDA.

As for the mangosteen, if i understand, they did an assay? If so, im less inclined to believe it will do anything on the skin as enzymes and what not might inactivate or change how it works etc. Do you have a double blind study on skin? or systemic dosages?

and thank god for someone that actually looks up research instead of "i think garlic and sitting in front of the computer cause acne, that's my theory"

Alpha lipoic acid -- what do you think? I'm supplementing with it, but I also see it listed as the star ingredient in a lot of fashionable topicals.

i just started taking alpha lipoic acid.. its the most powerful antioxidant and i needed something good for after my workouts.. im taking 300mg .. theres also two forms of alpha lipoic acid too.. r and s.. the r is twice as powerful as the synthetic.

I'm taking 200 mg daily, in 2 doses. But I have no idea which type mine is ... no clues on the bottle.

ALA gets pricey, quick.

as a side note, it's a good insulin sensitizer.