Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay you ladies out there, do you take BCP while on Accutane? I'm currently on Accutane and not taking any BCPS because I'm not even sexually active. If you're taking it currently, is it improving your acne? I can't tell whether mine is hormonal or not. I have the usual flare-up right before my period .. but I don't have acne on my jawline where you'd usually get acne if it's hormonal. I do notice white heads on my chin during the time of the month though. The only place I breakout is on the cheeks. Do you guys think I should get on BCP so it can work better with Accutane?

What kind should I get if I should be on BCP..

Personally, I think yes, you shoudl get on a bcp, both for contraceptive reasons and for acne. If you start bcp now, and continue them afdter stopping accutane, you should remain clear forever. Theoretically. That could always change. I say b/c of my own experience. MY acne was hormonal. BCPs cleared everything up, but I went off and on them and eventually they didn't work anymore b/c it was so cystic. I had to go on accutane. While I was on accutane, I had an IUD instead of the pill (b/c at the time I wanted to avoid taking the pill b/c they make my libido nil). Then I got off accutane, a year later, acne comes back but not as bad. Still, I had to go on Diane-35 and it's now finally working. No cysts or even zits this month. But now I have marks left over.

As for the brand, Ortho Tri-Cyclen is a good one. If that doesn't work, there's Diane-35. But due to the risks associated with Diane-35, I'd start with Tri-Cyclen (or just cyclen) to start. It should be fine if you start now and continue after you stop accutane.

Guest Tenshi

i take Diane 35. i had to as part of the rule in them giving me accutane..but i would have anyway, as it cleared me up last time i had taken it.. my derm even makes me have a pregnancy test even tho im on BC and i tell him i don't have sex anyway.. :rolleyes: but Diane is the best in my opinon, good for hormonal acne and a post treatment for after the course too... although really, accutane will do all the work anyway..

I've been thinking about getting on accutane and had the same BCP question cause I'm not sexually active either...let me know what you decide to do and if it helps with your acne