Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GregasGP

DANDRUFF!!! on Accutane???

Hi all,

Been on 40mg Tane a day for about 10 weeks now. I'm a male 23 years old with moderate acne.

I've NEVER had dandruff before and wash my hair once daily at all times - most of the time twice. I've started getting dandruff and am very disheartened, a trade in for being 'nearly' free of acne no doubt.

Has anyone else experienced this, a sudden onset of dandruff while on Accutane (if tane is actually responsible of course) and can they offer any advice please?

Thanks

Greg

Yes. Go buy some Head and Shoulders and calm down.

Yeah thanks mate. And I am calm, just another factor of something that goes wrong to add to the list you know! I mean, if this can't be effectively controlled and I have to avoid wearing dark clothing i'll be well p*ssed off! Thanks.

First off, stop washing more than once a day; even cut down to once every two days, or three. Excessive washing isn't good for the hair. It can cause dryness which will lead to dandruff.

Well, think about it.....Accutane makes your skin drier (& flaky) and your scalp is no exception. I also had dandruff (moreso in the beginning of treatment) and then switched to washing my hair every other day, and it has lessened dramatically. I agree with the post above....I would start washing your hair no more than every other day until you get the dandruff situation under control....by doing anything more, you're just going to dry out your scalp even more thus making your dandruff problem worse. Good Luck!

Yeah, same thing happened to me. You're gonna have to stop washing your hair so much, and ALWAYS make sure you use conditioner. Once every other day might even be too much, but try it and see if it works for you. I ended up only washing my hair once or twice a week. Sounds gross and unhygenic, but my scalp was so damn dry that my hair never got oily. Well, good luck.

I got dandruff on accutane-BAD!! And I freaked out, actually cried, b/c I had to use this goopy costisone shit on it. But alas, it was temporary. Don't worry-it'll go away. I think mine even went away before I even completed my course. :)

It's not the typical dandruff mate. It's actually flakes of skin, getting ripped out from your scalp. The Fix? buy some johnsson's baby oil, rub it on your head and keep it on for about 2hrs before you wash your hair. Use an Eucerin Shampoo (they're expensive about 25$), and make sure you pick one with Urea in it, as it keeps the moisture on your scalp more often.

Wash twice a week at the most 3 times. Keep your hair short as well is a big deal.