Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuperCoolTravis

New to the board

So im 19 and have had trouble with acne since prolly 6th grade, one of the first in my class to get it and definatly was a less than fun time. Anyways over the years i've only dabbled in a few things. The wonderful oxy pad things that just burnt me and then in high school i went to the doctor and got some sort of liquid alcohol thing with a pill (same they use for sickness, dont remember the name of it) but saw no signifigant results and the costs were expensive so i stopped. Then i just went on and about im not so severe but im definatly not one of the clear kids. I since tried the Nuetragena oil-free acne wash alone with no real immense results. They also gave on the spot treatment in the pack, and i tried it a few times but felt it didnt really do anything. Its bee about 3 months without any real treatment and stumbled upon this and since have grown curious on what will work for me. Not sure if posting a picture would be the best way to get recomendations, or to throw money out and try myself.

so any recomendations on a routine i should try out would be much appreciated!

mmm we have a med center thing that you can go for like everything almost near my town. Said that i could go on strong stuff (forget the name) but it often causes depression so he tried what i was using before. But our family lost our insurance so the bills were hurting so i just told my parents id deal rather than drain their money

You talking about Accutane? If you only have mild acne I wouldn't even think about using that. There are a million different regimens on this site, you just have to find the one that's right for you. The only advice I can give you is that if your skin is sensitive stay away from acne products, go for more gentle things. You have to experiment with your skin to know what's right for it. I know I've spent shit loads of cash trying to find what works for me, and I'm still working with my regimen! Good luck! I hope you find something that works for you.

You were probably on Doxycycline and the liquid stuff is Erythromycin. I was on the same stuff and It did nothing for me. I am about to give up.

i think after looking at peoples regimen that im gonna start picking and choosing :). First start off slow with just face cleaning and moisterizing. If my face doesn't do better from that i'll start adding stuff to try to get to a nice level :). Thanks for those who replied!!

This is an awesome community!

Benzoyl peroxide! Benzoyl peroxide! Nothing else has worked for me besides slathering benzoyl peroxide in the form of Dan's Clear Skin Regimen Gel all over my face and then moisturizing. Acne face washes are all bullshit; think about it: why would something that's only on your face for a minute help clear you up? What you want to do is gently wash your face (not with something harsh like those Oxy pads you said you used before but with something like Cetaphil), then absolutely cover your face and not just your spots in 2.5% benzoyl peroxide lotion (either Dan's that you get at http://www.acne.org), wait about 10 minutes for it to dry, and then cover your face in a good noncomedogonic moisturizer. If you have stubborn mild or moderate acne and no allergies to benzoyl peroxide, the regimen will probably work for you.

You have to be careful with too much BP, I had horrible reactions to it! I noticed, with my skin, that when using BP it would keep me somewhat clear but my skin was always dry, more dry than I even realized. When giving it up I did breakout a little because my skin was so dependent on it to stay somewhat clear. Don't get yourself into the condition I found myself in! Start out gentle and then work your way up, there's no sense in using harsh products if you don't have to. I really must say that I love Cetaphil gentle face wash, I would recommend that over anything else. It gets the crap off your skin (even though it feels like you're washing your face with baby oil) and doesn't dry it out. I would recommend though that you get some BP just for spot treatment, I just don't think it's a good idea to use it all over your face.

wow thanks guys! ya i think i should really take it slow cause last thing id want is a reaction!! I'll definatly have to get some Cetaphil, what bout moisterizers, all i really got was mixed feelings on all...any suggestions?? (i live in cold old Michigan)

I personally dont think benzoyl peroxide is the answer cuz everytime I put that stuff on, my face became all blotchy and ultra-sensitive. But if you do start to clear up using bp then go for it!! :D otherwise you might want to try salicylic acid or if it's really persistent then i suggest accutane (or generic versions like clavaris and amnesteem which are cheaper :)

by the way, i am currently finishing a month of accutane, and it's surprisingly a miracle worker for me. I used to have mild but persistent acne and now it's just about all gone tho i have to say accutane does dry you out quite a bit.

best of luck in your endeavors!! :D

wow thanks guys! ya i think i should really take it slow cause last thing id want is a reaction!! I'll definatly have to get some Cetaphil, what bout moisterizers, all i really got was mixed feelings on all...any suggestions?? (i live in cold old Michigan)

Dan has alot of reccomended moisturizers with his regime. Personally I like oil of olay complete.