Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brookeugogirl

Fraxel+reusable tips+bleeding = unsafe?

I tend to be overly cautious, but still if someone can answer this question then it would be great.

I just saw a video presentation of Dr. Rokshar using the Fraxel on www.aspirebecome.com.

I heard him say that the tips that are used for the fraxel are REUSED! He stated that he could get like 7 treatments out of them and he cleans them off with alcohol after each use.

ON THE OTHER HAND, Birch and others have stated that they have had pinpoint bleeding and other types of bleeding and crusting during the Fraxel treatment.

Is anyone else concerned that if there is bleeding that the tips are being reused? I don't think alcohol is a good enough disinfectant in these days of AIDS and other horrible diseases.

So now, I"m really sad because I really, really want to try the fraxel BUT how can I if there's bleeding?

I"m so sad! I was all set to get started! Now, do I have to live with terrible skin?

I tend to be overly cautious, but still if someone can answer this question then it would be great.

I just saw a video presentation of Dr. Rokshar using the Fraxel on www.aspirebecome.com.

I heard him say that the tips that are used for the fraxel are REUSED! He stated that he could get like 7 treatments out of them and he cleans them off with alcohol after each use.

ON THE OTHER HAND, Birch and others have stated that they have had pinpoint bleeding and other types of bleeding and crusting during the Fraxel treatment.

Is anyone else concerned that if there is bleeding that the tips are being reused? I don't think alcohol is a good enough disinfectant in these days of AIDS and other horrible diseases.

So now, I"m really sad because I really, really want to try the fraxel BUT how can I if there's bleeding?

I"m so sad! I was all set to get started! Now, do I have to live with terrible skin?

Ive had 5 treatments and dont recall the tip actually touching my face, its a laser beam that tocuhes my face according to those who have observed the treatment being performed on me, so I dont think there is anything to worry about and trust me I am a major hypochonriac about blood and hiv and stuff and I am pretty calm about the whole thing. Good luck with whatever you decide.

The fear of catching AIDS in this manner is pretty unreasonable. The HIV virus can only live outside the human body for a matter of minutes. Even if an infected patient were treated and got blood on the tip, the virus would die in open air in under 15 minutes.

Alcohol is more than sufficient to clean these tips. Do you go to the dentist? Dentist's use the same metal tools in all of their patients' mouths, they do not throw them away. Tools used by a dentist are much more likely to come into contact with blood. I would think that this should be the least of your concerns when considering the fraxel treatment. Just my opinion.

Sean..

The fear of catching AIDS in this manner is pretty unreasonable. The HIV virus can only live outside the human body for a matter of minutes. Even if an infected patient were treated and got blood on the tip, the virus would die in open air in under 15 minutes.

Alcohol is more than sufficient to clean these tips. Do you go to the dentist? Dentist's use the same metal tools in all of their patients' mouths, they do not throw them away. Tools used by a dentist are much more likely to come into contact with blood. I would think that this should be the least of your concerns when considering the fraxel treatment. Just my opinion.

Sean..

I agree with Sean1977, if you start worrying about things like that then you cant go to the dentist, the nail salon, the hair salon etc. All those places reuse instruments. Do you think the lady in the nail salon tosses out the nail clipper after each person? I think not, they just clean it with alcohol.

Lawgirl, have you had good results from your 5 treatments? Any advice?

Hi- I have not had very good results after 5 treatments, Iwould say about 10-15% improvement. Fraxel doesnt held deep scars like I have on my cheeks, just mild scars, I wish the doc would have told me that before I spent $5,000! My advice would be to only get fraxel if you have mild scarring, not the deep ice pick kind, I may have to get fillers to help those. Good luck!

yeah my doc said that this would not be for scars like deep icepicks, but more for rolling mild to moderate, so if you have icepicks, you may want to go another direction as far as procedures.

Sean..

Yeah, I do go to the dentist but MY dentist cleans his instruments in an AUTOCLAVE OVEN; good luck with yours if he cleans his tools with alcohol :wall: And maybe the LEAST of your concern is safety or exposure to blood but it is not mine. I am not willing to be exposed to anything for the sake of perfect skin. If you are, well good for you. There's no need to be belligerent; I'm simply pointing out that if I"m a paying $1500 for a treatment, the LEAST the doctor can do is use a disposable tip.

Oh and your quote about 15 minutes is completely false. Just check out the NIH website. NOT that it matters, everyone has different levels of comfort. Asking a question isn't a crime.

Lawgirl,

How would you attribute what were your results with each laser you had in regards to scarring? I mean, you said you've had Smoothbeam and Fraxel. With Fraxel 10-15% improvement, but how would you know which laser did this for you? Did you have them in short intervals together? Almost synonymous?

How well did Smoothbeam help your oil? After how many sessions did your acne stop flaring?

Thanks again for the responses.