Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sf_kicker

SF Kicker's Accutane Battle

DAY 3

So, I started "accutane" (acutally it s generic equivalent claravis) the night of thursday Feb 23rd. I am taking 20mg twice a day. No break outs or major side effects yet, although I do have a dull headache and have noticed that I am a lot more tired than usual (this may have more to do with studying, etc than anything else). I am also continuing with most of my prior acne regimen, rather than giving it up. this is for two reasons: 1) it was working a little bit, albeit slowly and 2) whenever i make a major change to my regimen i break out horribly. Sorry, don t feel like going through that again! I have to switch antibiotics though, because tetraclycline antibiotics like minocycline not only affect the birth control pill adversely, but they increase your chances of having brain swelling in combination with accutane drugs. Basically, I will keep up with all of the strong cleansers and topicals until my face actually dries out.

If you want to be grossed out a little, or watch my "progress" you can check out my gallery. the first group of picks are from 12/05, the second from 01/06, and the last from 02/21/06, right before I started accutane. I have had acne for a long time, but never like this. When I was younger, I had bacne and chestne mostly, but over the last year my face erupted in medium cysts and persistent white heads. I ignored it for a long time (meaning no doc, just OTC acne products) hoping it would go away. Finally, I sought treatment at the end of 10/05.

My hope with accutane is that it will eradicate my cysts, and stop all of the scarring I know that must be happening. Also, I hope to be able to reduce the number of products I have to use, so I can have a semi-normal life. Does anyone else spend a lot of time with products? And not want to go out of the house, etc?

I know my skin could be worse, and I am greateful that it is not. I also know that it could be better, and that is what I am hoping for!

DAY 4So my skin is looking better. Nothing new has come up, and the old ones are starting to flatten out a bit. I have noticed my skin feeling tight after I cleanse it, and my topicals definitely sting a lot more than they used too! However, I am not giving them up until my face falls off because I genuinely believe that the Initial Break Out that many ppl experience is in large part due to stopping previous acne treatments. Don t know about you all, but my skin takes about 2 weeks to really start responding to the use/disuse of topilcal products. So, if my face is a little red and stinging after I wash etc, oh well. Do have some flakiness, which is odd because the reast of my skin feels pretty oily still, but it is not majpr (not more than with retin a treatment). Happy so far. This is going to be awesome. Only side effects are I feel more tired than usual, and some of my skin feel a little bit itchy. Not bad at all. THANK YOU GOD! :pray:

Wow!! I am on a much stronger dose 80mgs a day but wonder if I used at least bp would it heal faster?? I am also on claravis on day four as well but my derm told me under no circumstances to put anything on my face but moisturizer. I won't try for fear of messing my face up but good luck and be careful. The claravis may dry you out enough to where the others may do damage. In the meantime, I wish you great success and will continue to read your log =)

Ciao

A-

the impression that i was given by my doc is that the main reason ppl don t put other stuff on their skin while on accutane is because it is so DRY, and can be a little raw. when my face gets to that point, i will definitely tone it down. i am just doing everything i can to avoid the initial break out as much as possible. i know my dose is kind of low, and that may be why i am not majorly feeling the effects yet. i am ok with this for now, i want to give my body a chance to get used to the drug, and as tired as i am, this is all i can handle for now. soon we will have lovely clear smooth even skin, and i can t wait.

on a less happy note, my sis had a pic of us together in her myspace profile and some guy commented that she was cute but that i needed a facial! i made her delete the comment. that motherfacker :evil: can wait until july and then we will see what is up!

DAY 5

Still no new monsters! YEAH! I feel really good about that. Too bad i am so facking TIRED! I slept 12 hours last night, and still had to drag my arse out of bed! Oh well. SO far, I think the big keys to my success are that I hve kept up with the oral antibiotic and the medicated face washes. My skinis a little flakey in the morning, but otherwise really oily all day, so the cleansers don't make me want to die or anything. That will probably change in the future, though. New pics of my progress thus far. Face looks red because I just washed.

DAY 8

So, I have one new pimple onmy forehead, and one of my old cysts has come to a head on my cheek. Everthing else is flattening out and starting to fade. I am not as tired as I was during the first week, which is good because I am not a lay about type. Skin is oddly oily and faley at the same time, but the MD Skin Care kit remedies most of that. I actually welcome the flaky skin, because it feels like all the pimples and scars are just falling off of my face. Can't beat that with a stick! Fortunately, I have thus far dodged the dread initial break out. Thank You erythromycin and bezoyl peroxide! I wonder if my skin will eventually get so dry I can't use my beloved medicated face washes anymore? My skin feels a little tight after I wash, maybe like after a face lift or botox? My face looks redder, but I think this may be due to increased photosensitivity more than anything else. Can anybody recommend a nice daily sunblock for the face that doesn't clog up your pores? My eyes are a little dry (I noticed because I wear contact lenses), but no other side effects (my lips are fine, no headaches, backaches, itchyness, etc) to report. :dance:

DAy 11

So, I had some major issues with dry, itchy, irritated skin, especially on my chest inbetween my boobs. I think I got a mild sunburn when I was rock climbing, and boy did I pay for it! I was able to calm down the itching and redness with some .05% cortisone cream and some Eucerin lotion. I have broken down and bought a moisturizer (with SPF 15) for the dryest areas around my mouth. The rest of my skin is fairly oily still, so I'm not using moisturizer everywhere. A few very small pimples popped up on my forhead, the cyst on my cheek is still wicked :evil: , and I have another painful one on the underside of my chin. Other than that, I have had about 3 new medium sized pimples scattered throughout. Overall I think my skin looks the same or slightly better. Hopefully that facking cyst will shrivel up so I can cover it withmake-up for a big party on friday. :pray: Hoping! And I am not picking at anything :hand: , especially since I have heard that things heal slowly while on Tane. Lastly, I wanted to say tht I have noticed some difference in the appearance of older scars, which I am guessing is due to the Oral Vit E supplements.

Fav new Tane product: :clap: Cococare Cocoa Butter Lip Balm- It's only 99 cents at Walgreen's! Feels great, keeps my lips from cracking, and smells yummy too!

DAY 15

Which was actually last friday. I have posted new pimple pics (oh yea) and a pic of the pimples covered with make up. Which can actually be done at this point. So I had a moderate break out which is now dying down, thank God. My face and scalp are really itchy, and my face is seriously dry in patches. I am using spf 30 daily now, because I have discovered that I am especially sensitive to sunburn these days! Lips are a little chapped, but at least my eyes aren't so dry anymore. If taking accutane means flakey skin, I'll take that over pimples anyday! I Pledge sucks big time, I have my ID # but no password or "date of personal significance" so I can log in. I don't go to the doc for a refill till friday, but the automated phone system hangs up on me, so I am really worried! High call volume my ass! Answer the phone and help me! God, I hate the facking feds. I am on my period this week, and I have finals too. SO I am a little frazzled, and this I Pledge B.S. doesn't help. That's it for now, I have to write a 10 page paper on Recessive Dystrophic Epidermolysis Bullosa now. Especially since it is due tommorrow. :wall:

did you go straight from the retina and mino to accutane or did your doc have you stop them beforehand? I start accutane in the beginning of april and I am currently on retin amicro .1% and mino(unhappy with results)

I am on erythromycin oral (becuase minocycline conflicts with the accutane) and my doc said I could still use retin a to spot treat if I want, since it is not absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream. It can compound dryness, though! Accutane was added to my arsenal, I haven't really given anything up yet (though I do use the alpha beta hydroxy acid peel every other day instead of every day). My main goal was to avoid a really knarly initial outbreak by not suddenly stopping things that were working (even if it was minor improvement!). Follow your derms advice, though. He or she knows more about your skin than I do!

DAY 22

So, I havent really gotten very many new pimples since my mini-Initial Break out. An annoying whitehead right next to the inside of my right nostril, and a few, small, plae bumbs here and there, but nothing bad. Things are drying up, and healing albeit very slowly. Ladies, beware of the Tane, Birth Control, Antibiotics & Stress = Yeast Infection. My doc gave me a one time oral dose of Diflucan, and now I am fine,though. I really thought my face would explode this week, being that it is finals and my period, but it didnt, thank god :pray: . I am still using the medicated washes, antibiotics, and retin a spot treatment, but have slowed down on the glycolic acid to every other day. Sunblock, SPF 30 is a MUST! Even with the rainy crappy weather here in SF I was getting sunburned in the CAR, so I bought Johnson&JOhnson Purpose Dual Treatment Moisturizer, and supplemented it with Dermatologica solar defense booster SPF 30. I like the J&J because it doesnt make my face feel oily at all, and really helps with the tightness and flakey skin. Next week is spring break in san diego for me, if you are there you will recognize me by my PALE skin and SPF 75 lotion!

I Pledge facking sucks. My doc finally got logged in and registered me, but with my old address. And he cant edit my address, so I bet my password will be mailed to my old house. Going to go to the post office to put in another change of address form to try to couteract that. If I get the Password, it will be when I am on spriong break, so I bet my Rx will expire before i can fill it (i get it today). I went onlune to find out about gettin tane from canada, and they will send it to you as long as you have an I PLedge ID number and an Rx. SO i am going to try that, even though my insurance doesnt cover it and it will be out of pocket. I dont care, just give my my facking drugs!!!!

the canadian pharmacist was so cute when he called me, inquiring about my skin and side effects. He asked if i was feeling sad and i said NO, tane is actually like an ANTI-depressant for me since i am clearing up! I guess some would disagree, though...

i swear, fighting the facking feds and this I pledge crap is giving me wrinkles!

DAY ?

So iPledge is totally facked up, and I could not get my tane scrip filled here in the US. So I went online to medisave.ca and the Canadian pharmacy filled the Rx for me. I only missed 2 days of therapy, so as far as number of days I have taken tane I guess that would be 32 now. To get my Rx filled by Medisave, I still had to fill out a consent form and fax it plus a photocopy of my iPledge card to them. Also, my insurance didn't cover this month since I used a Canadian pharmacy, so it cost me $184 instead of $10. Better than missing a whole month of therapy because the iPledge website didn't like the order I entered my info in (BTW, Yoor doctor must 1st confirm consultation, then enter you preganancy results, and then you must enter your contraceptive methods and take the quiz and pass, all w/in 7 days in order to fill your Rx. The iPledge troll said if you do it in a different order, you get "locked" out of the system for 30 days). I have had about 6 new pimples in the last 10 days, 2 of which were a weird balck head type that I have never had before. Additionally, my pores look awful, all big and gross and my scars are taking much longer to heal than normal. I addressed the itchy scalp and dandruff problem by using Head and Shoulders for Dry Scalp. My old make-up (which I wear less than once a week anyway) looks terrible on my dry skin, even if I apply lots of moisturizer before hand. I've just purchased Bare Minerals make-up, and will experiment with that. I will probably wear make-up more often now that I am mostly trying to hide fading scars rather than exploding pimples. We'll see. Overall, I am satisfied with my combined medicated wash/oral antibiotic/Retin A/ Accutane treatment. My skin improved more in the last 30 days than it did in the previous 3 months, and I have pictures to prove it! :clap:

DAY 40

SO, I have had a few new pimples the last 10 days or so, including a lovely one right in the middle of my fohead which you can look at in my gallery. I am bummed I am still getting pimples, but I do want to note that I haven't had any new CYSTS since week 2 1/2. That is nice. Of worry is a cyst that I got around that time on my right side, on the apple of my cheek, that is still active. It is small but...damn! Accutane really slows down the healing process! Similarily, there are other spots on my face that arent throwing up white heads, etc, but are still lumpy (not just a red mark on the skin) and so I guess active? I havent had my oral antibiotics for about a week, due to difficulty filling the Rx, and I really want to get back on it. Theyre security blankets! So, the biggest improvement in my face was between week 3 and 4, and my side effects have really subsided (excpet sun sensitivity!). I am going to ask to go to 60mg next month! BTW, I am locked out of iPledge for some reason, and I have to call! :rolleyes: I will get on it so I dont have to order my tane from medisave in canada again, but damn. F the F ing Feds! Overall, I am really pleased with my therapy so far. Hopefully it just keeps getting better. PS girls--bare minerals make up is great! it provides a nice medium amount of coverage, and isnt goopy or gross!