Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Danny-E

Soy Milk vs. Milk

So basically a simple question:

Is soy milk a healthy, non-acne irritating/causing alternative to milk? If milk is bad, then I'd like to have some liquid substance to replace it in smoothies, which are the easiest way to eat healthy, at least for me.

Soy milk is estrogenic and there's some other reasons to avoid it. Try rice milk (Rice Dream is a good brand, I prefer the vanilla flavor to regular milk in my cereal) or almond milk.

Just thinking about a big glass of milk makes me wanna puke these days... I still love a little cheese though! Mmmmmm.

you can try rice milk, oat milk, multi grain milk, etc. Just watch out for the fact that most of these milk substitutes do not contain the protein and other nutrients that milk contains, so be careful to replace them.

I use coconut milk in place of reg. milk. It tastes awesome and has some great healthy properties.

Yeh but it has a tonne of fat.

I use coconut milk in place of reg. milk. It tastes awesome and has some great healthy properties.

The fats in coconut milk are good fats (multi-chain triglycerides) that speed up metabolism.

The fats in coconut milk are good fats (multi-chain triglycerides) that speed up metabolism.

Yeah but it also has alot of saturated fat too...it's main sat. fat is lauric acid...a medium chain fatty acid which is easily metabolised by the body to give quick energy, but not necessarily fats that speed up your metabolism.

And soy milk is ok for acne, i worship the stuff and don't get any breakouts at all anymore...it doesn't contain lactose which can cause toxins in the liver and contribute to acne

Yeah but it also has alot of saturated fat too...it's main sat. fat is lauric acid...a medium chain fatty acid which is easily metabolised by the body to give quick energy, but not necessarily fats that speed up your metabolism.

And soy milk is ok for acne, i worship the stuff and don't get any breakouts at all anymore...it doesn't contain lactose which can cause toxins in the liver and contribute to acne

I guess I'm not tied to the old-school thinking that fat is evil, even the maligned saturated fats :shock: . I feel that coconut fats are extremely beneficial and have only noticed improvements in my health since including them in my diet. Also, coconut milk is available in a "light" variety that still tastes rich and creamy despite being lower in fat than regular coconut milk.

I think soy milk is OK as long as it doesn't have added sugar, as most of them do. Rice milk ALWAYS contains sugar, even if it isn't listed in the ingredients list - the sugar is in the form of the rice (rice syrup).

You should read a bit about soy before you worship soymilk. http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/

I have symptoms of hypothryoid and excess estrogen most likely from consuming too much soy. I wasn't one of those vegans who ate absurd amounts either.

The fats in coconut milk concern me much less than soymilk. Actually, coconut doesn't concern me at all. I use the oil every day.

I think soy milk is OK as long as it doesn't have added sugar, as most of them do. Rice milk ALWAYS contains sugar, even if it isn't listed in the ingredients list - the sugar is in the form of the rice (rice syrup).

so if rice milk is really sugary and a lot of sugar is bad for acne...which type of "milk" is the best for acne prone people? so far it sounds like a lot of people like coconut milk...can you buy that at your regular grocery store?

stick with regular milk. It doesn't cause acne! If you want to really drink something to help acne. Try green tea or water with lemon in it!

stick with regular milk. It doesn't cause acne! If you want to really drink something to help acne. Try green tea or water with lemon in it!

doesn't green tea have caffinee, which is bad for ance? or am i totally wrong??

lactose causes toxins in the liver? It's just a sugar. Same as sucrose, fructose, etc... Some can break the sugar down, and some can't. If you can, the lactose isn't a problem. In one or two generations I bet we either evolve or have the technology so that nobody will have an intolerance to any food or any allergy. Hell, we even have lactase right now in pill form for those that need a little extra help.

Soy milk is estrogenic and there's some other reasons to avoid it. Try rice milk (Rice Dream is a good brand, I prefer the vanilla flavor to regular milk in my cereal) or almond milk.

Just thinking about a big glass of milk makes me wanna puke these days... I still love a little cheese though! Mmmmmm.

what's estrogenic and some other reasons to avoid it?

has anyone heard of silk enhanced soymilk? it has omega 3 fatty acids from flax seed oil and 3 b vitamins (i forgot which ones) and some other stuff.

is it good for you?

Just thinking about a big glass of milk makes me wanna puke these days...

Not me! Reading this whole thread about milk made me so hungry for it this morning, I just had to go to the fridge and pour myself a nice cold glass of whole cow's milk. I have it right here in front of me at this very moment. Here's a toast to all the anti-milk food faddists here who don't know a good food when they see it! ;)

Bryan

Just thinking about a big glass of milk makes me wanna puke these days...

Not me! Reading this whole thread about milk made me so hungry for it this morning, I just had to go to the fridge and pour myself a nice cold glass of whole cow's milk. I have it right here in front of me at this very moment. Here's a toast to all the anti-milk food faddists here who don't know a good food when they see it! ;)

Bryan

Bryan, do you drink regular (like non-organic, pasteurized, homogenized) milk? That stuff is brutal, in my opinion.

I drink ordinary whole milk, yeah. You think it's "brutal" because of all the negative health claims that are posted here about the added hormones, antibiotics, etc.? I suppose there COULD be some truth to all that, but I'm not certain how much of a negative factor it really is, if at all. I'd probably drink certified raw milk, if it were available to me...

Bryan

soya milk sucks, cows milk is meant for baby cows, and Bryan is a naysayer.... :razz:

I drink ordinary whole milk, yeah. You think it's "brutal" because of all the negative health claims that are posted here about the added hormones, antibiotics, etc.? I suppose there COULD be some truth to all that, but I'm not certain how much of a negative factor it really is, if at all. I'd probably drink certified raw milk, if it were available to me...

Bryan

I actually had some high quality, organic raw milk that came straight from the old school glass bottle when I was in California yesterday. It's legal to sell raw milk in stores in Cali so it was cool to try it. It was good stuff, helped my stomach out. So you're right, milk is a good food if it's treated right. Homogenization fucks things up and you can find unhomogenized milk in stores (though not unpasteurized 'raw' unless your state allows), and as long as the milk is organic it's good stuff. Mass marketed super market milk full of antibiotics, excessive hormones etc. is dirty though.

I'm actually a big fan of homemade oat milk now. It tastes better then Rice Dream, it's so simple and easy to make and its cheap. All you need is some oats, a blender, water and a sweetener like stevia (the best one to use). You can add in vanilla if you want, or change the consistency to make it thicker or thinne depending on your tastes. That and store bough almond milk are delicious.

I drink organic 2%. I only have milk with maybe a bowl of cereal now. I used to drink a few glasses a day. Having milk with just abowl of cereal can't effect my acne can it? and do you have to be allergic to something in it for it to cause acne? how drastic of an improvement did you guys see when you decided to cut dairy? do you cut out other foods too? that would suck