Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BeautifulSkinAgain

Does shaving cause scars?

Does shaving your face cause acne scars?

I"ve wondered about shaving and scars. I don't think that shaving causes acne scars but I wonder if it causes very mnimal scarring. For example, men tend that have these ridges and rolling scars that look as if they are from shaving.

I've noticed this too. Sorry, I don't have the answer.

Given that shaving is an exfoliation process, it might make acne scars appear more apparent, but it cannot cause acne scarring.

Obviously if you cut yourself you could scar, but that is something totally different.

Given that shaving is an exfoliation process, it might make acne scars appear more apparent, but it cannot cause acne scarring.

Obviously if you cut yourself you could scar, but that is something totally different.

I would think it makes acne s cars less apparent.

Any exfoliation process can cause scarring to be more visible. As the top layers of dead skin come off, sometimes the scars are more apparent.

That is why some ppl notice "more scars" after they start using AHA creams or peels. Over time things can improve, but this (noticing the scarring) is a possibility.

Seems like a catch 22. You'd like to improve your skin and scarring with peels, exfoliating, etc. yet it can make a scar much more visible!! What can you do?? Anyone have suggestions?

In the long run most people benefit from exfoliation, in the short term you may have to deal w/ this unwanted side effect.

For example, when I first started using AHA creams my skin broke out and my scarring looked worse. Over time my skin looks much better, smoother, etc.

Did you apply the AHA's all over your face or just to the scarred areas-like a TCA cross? Which did you use and how much and often? How long did it take before you noticed improvement? They also recommend not to use any acne control products together with the AHA's. The only thing I use is the Blemish Stick with Tea Tree Oil by Desert Essence. Good product!

having a smooth face makes my scars look a lot less apparent. I have no scars in my beard line (not that I can grow a beard but where I shave) so it make s no sense leaving the hair on. Also I think that should answer this rather silly question of shaving causing scars. THink about it shaving causing scars? Every man would have scars all over. If u mean shaving over a zit then maybe it could.

having a smooth face makes my scars look a lot less apparent. I have no scars in my beard line (not that I can grow a beard but where I shave) so it make s no sense leaving the hair on. Also I think that should answer this rather silly question of shaving causing scars. THink about it shaving causing scars? Every man would have scars all over. If u mean shaving over a zit then maybe it could.

I don't think it's a silly question at all.

If someone has cystic acne on their face, and it has an opening on it, why would a person want to shave over it before it heals?

u can shave over moles and zits and other raised spots on the face without cutting them. I have never had a prob shaving even with acne. obviously u are a little more careful when there is a zit that your shaving over. My shave line is much smoother than the skin that I dont shave so if anything shaving smooths out the skin at least in my case.