Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BeautifulSkinAgain

I'm starting Tai Chi tomorrow

I have done one tai chi class. (It was part of a class that was teaching different kinds of stress relievers) and I liked it. At first, it was a bit draining, but after the hour was up, I was BOUNCING I had so much energy.

I'm not sure if was the "energy chakra's" being pulled up or just the physical focus, but it was fun!

hi,

best of luck with the tai chi. i should really start going to the gym or do a martial art as well.

are christians against electro-magnetism, gravity, radioactivity and all other forces not directly from god??? do you agree with using electrically powered items??? should christians refuse to obey gravity??? anyway.... i think 'chi' and 'god' are both examples of mystical crap that need to be smashed!

forwards to an atheistic godless society!

tim

As a Christian, I cannot do Tai Chi. Tai Chi, Aikido, and Ninjitsu are all martial art forms that cannot be divorced from their eastern origins. These martial arts depend heavily upon a force called the "ki", or "chi", which "pervades the whole universe". Since Christians believe in one God who created the universe, and do not believe in this "chi" force, it becomes very problematic to engage in these types of martial arts.

Now, other martial arts are fine. Karate, Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do, and Judo (which I took), can be divored from their eastern mysticism quite easily, because no "outside force" is being called upon-it's all merely physical activity.

Just my thoughts.

Tai Chi is mainly a mechanical discipline as opposed to a spiritual one. Some studies have suggested it to be effective for maintaining good health.

I just skimmed most of this page and found only a tiny bit on "qi": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai_Chi_Chuan

Breathing exercises; nei kung (內功 nèigÅ?ng) or, more commonly, qigong or ch'i kung (氣功 qìgÅ?ng) to develop qi or ch'i (æ°£ qì) or "breath energy" in coordination with physical movement and post standing or combinations of the two. These were formerly taught only to disciples as a separate, complementary training system. In the last 50 years they have become more well known to the general public.

Breathing exercises serve to increase oxygen supply to the brain so thoughts are clearer and the person feels refreshed. If you want, you can totally remove any spiritual elements from Tai Chi. You can turn it into an endeavour solely consisting of bodily exercises and breathing exercises.

Why do I care? Because BeautifulSkinAgain might read your post and decide that doing Tai Chi is somehow against his religion. It could well help him, in fact.

As a Christian, I cannot do Tai Chi. Tai Chi, Aikido, and Ninjitsu are all martial art forms that cannot be divorced from their eastern origins. These martial arts depend heavily upon a force called the "ki", or "chi", which "pervades the whole universe". Since Christians believe in one God who created the universe, and do not believe in this "chi" force, it becomes very problematic to engage in these types of martial arts.

Now, other martial arts are fine. Karate, Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do, and Judo (which I took), can be divored from their eastern mysticism quite easily, because no "outside force" is being called upon-it's all merely physical activity.

Just my thoughts.

As an Atheist, I can do whatever the hell I want. That includes making fun of "Christians".

I have read your other posts. You seem to enjoy giving other members a hard time. You are such a coward it's not even funny! Grow up and make something out of your life!

Done and done; 21 and accepted into medicine. Go back to reading your bible.

I'm calling BS on that one. Prove me wrong. Until you do you are a coward and a liar. Stop being such a TROLL!!!

And to beautifulskinagain, I am sorry this thread has turned into a circus. I apologize.

Yeah I'll prove you wrong. Just a sec, let me gather all my personal information and give it to you. Retard.

Just my thoughts.

I have to disagree with you. You can perform martial arts and meditate on the glory of God. The Psalms are full of verses about meditation. It really comes down to where your heart is.

If your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, don't you think that taking good care of it by being fit and aware to the fullest capacity are important? Perhaps you should question yourself as to why you believe these things. Too often the Church pushes beliefs that are based on legalism, dividing controversial issues into black or white categories when they have no way to back it up. It's important as a Christian to question these mindsets. If you really feel that engaging in martial arts will affect your relationship with God, then good- stick with that. However, if you haven't personally gotten any direction from God, then I challenge you to take a closer look at where your ideas are coming from.

Call me crazy, but you seem like waaaaaay too much of an idiot to be in med school buddy.

So, you define an idiot as anyone who offends you? Sounds like a case of "takes one to know one" to me. Congrats.

Leave MasterPattie alone you jerk. He's just expressing his beliefs and has every right to. :hand:

Of course he has every right to. I have every right to do the same, as well.

No need to sent personal attacks though. Learn some morals.

I think you're talking about superficial morality. I don't want to learn superficial morals. Being polite to a douche-bag falls behind feeding starving children in Africa.

I think Tai Chi and Yoga are interesting because I think they improve the body's functions. I don't believe in a mystical energy though.

Me and you could make some mystical energy, if you catch my drift.

Just my thoughts.

I have to disagree with you. You can perform martial arts and meditate on the glory of God. The Psalms are full of verses about meditation. It really comes down to where your heart is.

If your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, don't you think that taking good care of it by being fit and aware to the fullest capacity are important? Perhaps you should question yourself as to why you believe these things. Too often the Church pushes beliefs that are based on legalism, dividing controversial issues into black or white categories when they have no way to back it up. It's important as a Christian to question these mindsets. If you really feel that engaging in martial arts will affect your relationship with God, then good- stick with that. However, if you haven't personally gotten any direction from God, then I challenge you to take a closer look at where your ideas are coming from.

i have been to churches that teach this is demonic, that is demonic. I used to live in fear of things like Tai Chi. But looking back the people who taught me these things were not at all healthy themeslves.

I remember Billy Graham doing a sermon in China I think. Some old people were doing Tai Chi in a park.He smiles and started to do the Tai Chi with them for a second. I thought to myself, that's strange. People at church would think that was demonic. But Billy Graham must have thought nothing was wrong with it! I started seeing the world a different way after that. That was years ago.

I really don't care what anyone says anymore. I will do what i want to do.

FUCK TAI CHI..................BOX BABY...........ITS THE BEST THING IN THE WORLD.......................YOU DONT HAVE TO SPAR.....JUST TRAIN...

ITS GREAT FOR YOU...PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY.............

OUTTA EVERY SPORT IN THE WORLD...BOXING IS THE MOST PHYSICALLY DEMANDING...................

BUT WHEN YOU'RE IN THE RING,ITS 80% MENTAL...................

SO ITS GOOD FOR YOU IN EVERY WAY...............