Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
normangel

I Thought Acne was for Teenagers!

Hi! A little bit about myself. I am a 37 year old female and I have had very mild acne for 3 years. Something happened 6 months ago and it has become worse than ever. I have been on Eurythromycin, doxycyclin, minocylen, benzaclin, differin, tazorac, retin A, clindamycin, and yeah pretty much everything that's available with no luck at all. Finally, I decided to go take the A bomb (accutane). When I filled my Rx they gave me Claravis (a generic) but I guess it's all the same thing.

Whether you are 17 or 37 it makes no difference, acne has a way of hindering our self esteem. I can't stand it. I am a single mom and my 17 yr old son has perfect skin...go figure! However, I NEVER got acne as a teenager. I had great skin. I am excited to go on my Isotretinoin journey. Lets hope for the best!

Day 1&2

I am breaking out with little pimples. I can see them but you'd have to get real close they are tiny. I had a headache that lasted all night and I woke up with it as well. Advil seems to have rid me of the headache. My lips are a little dry but nothing major. My face feels like its a little sunburnt but I used cetaphil facial moisturizor and it felt like my face was on fire. Maybe a reaction???? Who knows?? I will switch my moisturizer cause that really didn't feel good.

On a good note, my active cysts before the tane are actually clearing up quite nicely. I am sure my initial break out is going to be ugly but it will be worth it!!!! I am diagnosed to have Hormonal acne and tend to only breakout from the bottom of my nose down and on my neck. The top half of my face is always clear. I don't exactly know why women get hormonal acne but I do know that my hormones were checked and their levels are exactly where they should be.

Well there is my story. It is probably typical. I hope I get the positive results that people have posted on this board.

Ciao

A- :boohoo:

yeah good luck luv, side effects are a good thing, i'm sure you'll be clear in no time.

Just a quick note. I have found it absolutely necessary to rid myself of one of my worst enemies! Yes people, my 10X magnified mirror. It is EVIL!! I suggest any of you new tane users that have one, throw it away!!!! Do not throw it in the kitchen trash can...or the garbage outside. Throw it off a bridge or place it in the middle of a very busy highway. I know it sounds drastic but my mirror was posessed and kept finding its way back!! LOLOLOL

Ciao

A-

that's good stuff about the mirrors. I have over the last several months taken to completely ignoring mirrors as much as I can.

I'll "check things out" first thing in the morning, in the super soft and forgiving light of our bathroom and then not look in a mirror again for the rest of the day if I can help it.

I know it sounds absurd, but it really helped me to stop being so distracted through the workday.

Looking forward to following your progress since we have the same time line.

Oh.. and yeah, I thought acne was for teen's too, but take a look around these boards and you will find there are a LOT of us well out of our teens around these parts.

More so then I would have thought to be honest.

Yes, there are many adults on here which makes me feel a whole lot better!! The support on this board is wonderful. Thanks for posting and I look forward to sharing your progress as well.

Read ya soon!!

A-

I'll make you all feel young and tell you that I'm probably 10 years older than any of you and I'm just finishing my second month on Accutane. Check out my log if you'd like - I've been updating it weekly. My first three weeks were kind of rough, but it's been great since then. My skin got OILIER at first (I would have thought that impossible) and I had a nasty breakout on my chin and face for a couple weeks. Fortunately, I was able to cover most of it with a temporary beard!

Best wishes and feel free to ask if you have any questions!

P&W

Thanks for your post P&W!! I'm going to go read your log now. My face is getting very sensitive now. It's weird it kinda hurts to the touch. I am getting oilier by the day and breaking out in full force but they are regular pimples not cysts so far. (that is actually a good thing for me.) Unfortunately, I can't grow a beard!!! LOL

I am not working today but my biggest challenge will be covering these things up for work tomorrow. I really don't want to wear any make up. I announced to all my coworkers that I was starting Accutane. Most of them had no clue what it was (lucky them!) I guess it's not a good time to be vain!! lol Oh well, good luck to you :)

A-

I thought it was for teenagers too! I am 24 and about to start on accutane.

Good luck!!!

Day 3

Well not much to report for Day 3.

I have at least 12 tiny pimples on my chin and jawline. I am so oily its gross. I am actually looking forward to drying up. My lips are slightly chapped and my arm and shoulder blade aches have subsided.

**P&W- your log is wonderful!! Thanks for sharing.

A-

***Someone alert George W.--I've struck oil!!! (ugh)

Ryan, welcome to the club!! When will you be starting your Accutane treatment?? I hope the best for you:)

PS- I see clear skin in your future!! :D

Thanks NormanAngel. Not really sure when I will start. Hopefully pretty soon. I had my blood tests done on Monday. I called the derm today to find out if they had an idea when I would be able to pick up my prescription for Accutane. They were no help, so they took my name and number and someone who has a clue is suppose to call me back today.

Ryan, welcome to the club!! When will you be starting your Accutane treatment?? I hope the best for you:)

PS- I see clear skin in your future!! :D

Thanks NormanAngel. Not really sure when I will start. Hopefully pretty soon. I had my blood tests done on Monday. I called the derm today to find out if they had an idea when I would be able to pick up my prescription for Accutane. They were no help, so they took my name and number and someone who has a clue is suppose to call me back today.

/quote]

Good Deal!! Well if you did the blood work, presuming all your numbers are in line, it should be very soon.

A-

I've been diagnosed with hormonal acne also and my hormone checks came back normal. Strange isn't it. My GP said that it's not the amount of testosterone that you produce that causes spots but how your body reacts to it.

I'm on day 6 so i'll be checking out your log. I bet we'll have similar experiences. How have your side effects been? As of today I have dry flaky skin, less oil and a tomato face. And I'm actually happy to see them. How odd is that!

Don't you just adore this site. Makes it so much easier to cope with acne when you can speak to others in the same situation.

Take care :D

I've been diagnosed with hormonal acne also and my hormone checks came back normal. Strange isn't it. My GP said that it's not the amount of testosterone that you produce that causes spots but how your body reacts to it.

I'm on day 6 so i'll be checking out your log. I bet we'll have similar experiences. How have your side effects been? As of today I have dry flaky skin, less oil and a tomato face. And I'm actually happy to see them. How odd is that!

Don't you just adore this site. Makes it so much easier to cope with acne when you can speak to others in the same situation.

Hey Nikki, so glad you wrote!! I am on day 4. My first couple of pills I got persistant headaches but they are gone. I am very oily but this afternoon it seems to be less. I don't have much flaking, lips are dry, but yes! I have a tomato face.

As far as the hormones....my gyno said the same about the testosterone and it is how my body reacts to it however, some personal aquaintances might disagree and say that I have alot of testosterone or was that b--ls??? LOL

Keep in touch!

A-

Day 5

Today wasn't much different. I am a little less oily. I dont know it's hard to tell. I have four pimples that are still there but at least aren't growing!! My lips are a little on the dry side but not quite chapped.

I guess all in all everything is ok. After all it's only been 5 days. ;)

A-

Ohh day 5. That's when mine began to change. After that I started to get all the side effects. I like side effects. It says the pills are working! Good luck. Hope you don't wake up to your skin peeling off like mine is now. It feels like i've been on holiday and got a really good tan that is starting to peel off. Except unfortunately I didn't get the lovely holiday part.

Take care

I also have the hormonal acne and have just started my first dose of Claravis today. So good to note that there are other non- teens on this board dealing with acne also. So embarassing to work in the corporate world and have adult acne. Best of luck!!

Hey Nikki, so glad you wrote!! I am on day 4. My first couple of pills I got persistant headaches but they are gone. I am very oily but this afternoon it seems to be less. I don't have much flaking, lips are dry, but yes! I have a tomato face.

As far as the hormones....my gyno said the same about the testosterone and it is how my body reacts to it however, some personal aquaintances might disagree and say that I have alot of testosterone or was that b--ls??? LOL

Keep in touch!

A-

Kallie-

Yes, everyday reading this board I learn there are more and more of us=) Good luck with your treatment and let's hope we are in that 92% that the acne is cured=)

A-

Day 6

Not much change.

Day 7

Today ends my first week. Today I woke up to a dry face. Where did all that oil go?? *Poof* from one day to the next, it's gone!! In fact, my skin is quite flakey. My lips are dry but not chapped. I do have an unwanted visitor erupting on my left cheek about an inch from the corner of my mouth. Hopefully :pray: it won't be big and will just disappear!! Today I am so energetic being I have been exhausted the rest of the week. I am eatting alot better so perhaps that is why the energy is being created.

My first week has been kinda fun. I have enjoyed from one day to the next wondering what is happening today on my face!

I have a horrible feeling that this ipledge program is going to ruin my Rx start date this coming month. It seems so unorganized, my derm is on vacation, and I just keep thinking that it is going to get screwed up!

I hope NOT :pray:

I want to thank everyone on this board for sharing their thoughts and all the information of their acne and accutane experiences. It's actually been quite comforting. THANK YOU ALL!!!

I will write next week,

A-

It's been kinda fun for me too so far. It's weird seeing you're face change, especially getting rid of that horrid oil. I have such a hate/hate relationship with that.

If your lips are dry moisturise ALOT. I've been using Carmex and I left it at home today. I'm shocked how dry and flaky my lips are. I feel like they are about to peel off. I think when they get dry it's hard to get them smooth again.

Good luck with your skin in the next few days and have a lovely weekend. I'll be reading your updates

DAY 9

WOW!! It's been a couple of days since my last post and my face has done a turn around. No more oil!! I mean none. I am pretty flaky but moisturizor in the morning gets me through my work day without a problem. My hair looks like I just washed it and I always have to wash it every morning. I swear I could probably go 3 days and it would look just washed. These pills just amaze me. I have 3 pimples that are drying up well. I do have red spots but I can conceal those. I am sure I will still break out but so far they have been what I would call normal pimples where as I usually get cysts.

All in all I feel pretty optimistic about this treatment. Even if at the end I am not totally clear, I would settle for a 50% improvement. Accutane is my last hope, I am just tired of all those antibiotics!!!

9 days down and 131 to go.........

I'm getting closer :dance:

A-

:D im pleased

Thanks for the support :D Posting on here helps me with my progress and I'm surprised anyone would even read my log but if it serves as encouragement to just one individual, I would be happy.

Hope you are doing well.

Ang

You know, Im worried that the iPledge program crap is going to screw up my next prescription, too! Im surprised they dispensed it to me without having signed on to the iPledge for my first prescription! But my derm said I definately need to do it for the next time around (3/20/06), which they said might delay getting it filled for 2 or 3 days, which bothers me.