Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BeautifulSkinAgain

Salt Water and Sun

I have to say this. Dermatologists would disagree, and t here is a risk of skin cancer. But in all my years of bad acne on my back and chest, the o nly thing that cleared it up was the salt water in the ocean and the sun! It worked like a miracle, and that's not lie! It cleared up the cystic acne on my chest, back and face. Fortunately, my face was nowhere as severe as my back and chest. Take this for what it's worth. I'm telling you, the improvement was like 85 to 90%!

Do NOT GO IN THE SUN if you're USING ANY MEDICATION, PLEASE! i SHOULD HAVE SAID THAT AT THE BEGINNING OF THE P

Hmm... that one I would have never thought of, mainly because I never considered taking my shirt off. The beach is 10 minutes away, so it may be worth a try. I don't know, I have a complex about that. How long did you stay in the water? Did you lay out in the sun too?

Hmm... that one I would have never thought of, mainly because I never considered taking my shirt off. The beach is 10 minutes away, so it may be worth a try. I don't know, I have a complex about that. How long did you stay in the water? Did you lay out in the sun too?

i had a big complex too.

Drs will tell you NOT to lay in the sun. And there always is the risk of skin cancer down the line, just know t hat too.

If you want, try i t for a few days. Experiment with it. Yes, the sun and salt water worked for me.

I dont' want to tell you how long to do it for. You will have to experiment. Good luck and let me know if you try it and what happens.

You want to tell your dr you are going to do it. He probably w ill talk you out of it. I dont' know if you should wear sun screen. All I know is it's the only thing tha worked. Of course, the acne came back once I stopped. I don'tt live by the sun. But it always was cleared about 85% to 90%. I went through some dangerous sun burns. Be careful. Don't get burned.

I am thinking of going this route also... atleast the sun part. A dermatologist once told me that I have beautiful skin from avoiding the sun. But at what point is it okay to get sun exposure, despite the negative effects? Right now I am having to choose between possible premature skin aging or whatever, or building up even more acne scars (if sunning does help acne). As it is now, if I got a tan, my brown marks (newer scars?) would fade down because they wouldn't be so contrasted. However, the tan also accentuates the older, white scars.

I don't know if it's okay, since I am using retin-a micro on my body, but the other day I laid out in my driveway for about 40 minutes and got a moderate sunburn (I live in Florida, where tanning in winter is more than possible. In fact, I had to bury my cd player in the towel for fear of it melting in the heat), but it's fading very quickly I guess from increased cell turnover. It's also fading, not peeling, which is a first. But my skin is quite smooth, which is also a first.

I have done the same thing also. I live minutes from the beach, and when I quit my job, I had lots of free time. So I went to the beach for a few days for 3-4 hours. It really helped with my back acne. I went swimming for an hour, and the salt water probably helped as well. Yes, I know I may get skin cancer down the road. I did however use a spf 30 sunscreen. You should where some sunscreen, or you will get burned. Also, I noticed that I would have to get in the sun at least once a week for an hour to keep the results. I tried tanning beds, but you don't get the same results. Who has time for sun once a week? I wish I did. Tanning is only a temp. solution.

Yeah it makes sense about the tanning bed thing because the rays are artificial which obviously wouldn't have the same effect as the sun. I think once I find something else to clear up my back (it's not as bad as before), I'll try the sun to even out the skin tone. And is the sun really as harmful as people make it out to be? Tanning seems to be such a normal thing (especially here in CA). In moderation, is it really that bad? Plus I tan easier than most people, if I spent a good hour in the sun it would pretty much do the job and stay for a month+. It's just hard to tan with a shirt on LOL.

My Regimen:

Wash body with proactiv in shower

Wash body with baking soda

Dry and then apply proactiv clear zone lotion (Salicid Acid or whatever it's called)

I know the baking soda part sounds weird, but so far it's really helped with smoothing things out. I've been doing this for about 3 or 4 days.

Do NOT GO IN THE SUN if you're USING ANY MEDICATION, PLEASE! i SHOULD HAVE SAID THAT AT THE BEGINNING OF THE POST.

Yes, you are right x 2!! I live in S. Florida and the sun here is BRUTAL. Do not go in the sun if you're on meds whether it is Accutane, retin A, BP.....etc. You will regret it!!! However, before I started the meds the ocean water and the sun would do wonders for my break outs. My Dermatologist completely disagrees but it did do an awesome job. As for now, I cannot go out in the sun without sunscreen and even then the meds make me fry like never before. I am latin with olive skin...sunburns have always been a rarity for me.

til next time,

A-

I made a post inquiring about laying out while on Retin-A, but I didn't get any replies.

What is so bad about it? I did it the other day and so far it is seeming better than normal. I only use Retin-A on my body the past few weeks, and only a few times a week so far. I only laid out like 30 minutes, got a moderate burn. It's peeling a little bit now but it's all going by faster than usual. I'm guessing it will fade faster too, but if you lay out a smaller amount of time to get a burn equivalent to laying out a longer duration of time if you were off of it, what's bad about it? I know you burn faster but if you spend less time out to compensate, you get an equal burn.

I made a post inquiring about laying out while on Retin-A, but I didn't get any replies.

What is so bad about it? I did it the other day and so far it is seeming better than normal. I only use Retin-A on my body the past few weeks, and only a few times a week so far. I only laid out like 30 minutes, got a moderate burn. It's peeling a little bit now but it's all going by faster than usual. I'm guessing it will fade faster too, but if you lay out a smaller amount of time to get a burn equivalent to laying out a longer duration of time if you were off of it, what's bad about it? I know you burn faster but if you spend less time out to compensate, you get an equal burn.

You will get severely burned by using Retin A. Retin A makes you very sensative to the sun. Please don't do it. Call your Dr. and ask her/him why you shouldn't. I'm sure there are lots of information online that tells you why you shouldn't go out in the sun with Retin A. I know when I used it I got very red very fast.

me and my boyfriend were in aruba last sept. and i completely cleared up for the whole week i was there. came back home and started breaking out again.

You will get severely burned by using Retin A. Retin A makes you very sensative to the sun. Please don't do it. Call your Dr. and ask her/him why you shouldn't. I'm sure there are lots of information online that tells you why you shouldn't go out in the sun with Retin A. I know when I used it I got very red very fast.

I already did it and I didn't get "severely burned", because I only stayed out like 30-45 minutes.

If it just makes you burn faster, that's cool. I won't have to lay out as long, then.

Sun is fine as long as you get out of it before u burn. thats the key. heard that from george hamilton and hes as tan as they come!

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Sun is fine as long as you get out of it before u burn. thats the key. heard that from george hamilton and hes as tan as they come!

UV rays still do damage, regardless of whether or not you stay out long enough to burn.

bakin soda broke me out..

it might worth, too bad that the nearest beach is like 4 hours away haha =(

I knew there was a reason I look forward to summer so much. I definitely think there's some credence to the saltwater/sun theory. I also live a hop, skip, and a jump away from the beach. Too bad it's only March!

I knew there was a reason I look forward to summer so much. I definitely think there's some credence to the saltwater/sun theory. I also live a hop, skip, and a jump away from the beach. Too bad it's only March!

i live about 2 hops, 10 skips and 27 jumps from the nearest beach

...now just replace hops with hours, skips with minutes and jumps with seconds

i dont know, i just made that time up

im bored :wall:

We are meant to be out in the sun at least some of the day... don't over avoid it, we need it. Living is bad for your health too, every day you live takes a day away from your lifetime, should we maybe not live?