Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

](*,)

The best over-the-counter remedy that works for me is a baking soda and hydrogen peroxide treatment. It will dry up any open pimples but it will also sting a little.

First, wash your face with a mild, non-drying cleanser. I have very dry skin so I find the best is Non-Drying Cleansing Lotion For Sensitive Skin by Dermatologic Cosmetic Laboratories. For oily skin and blackheads DCL also makes a B Prox and 10 Wash to remove excess oil. They also have a lot of other acne products and moisterizing lotions.

Then you make a paste out of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide and apply with your fingers. It dries and flakes everywhere! Leave it on for 15-30 minutes and then rinse thoroughly with water. I usually use it once a day before I go to bed but with bad breakouts I have used it twice a day. It does dry the pimples up but actually it doesn't make my face any drier. In fact, it improves the extreme dryness that I have.

A prescription cream, BenzaClin, works well. BenzClin usually isn't paid by insurance. The alternative is an Erythromycin cream but it doesn't seem to work as well. The BenzaClin is worth paying for.

Basically, you have to be disciplined enough to do the same cleansing routine and taking medication or putting creams on everyday. Most of the time it gets worse before it gets better and you cannot get frustrated and quit. Continue treatment for at least four weeks before you try something else. Don't panic when it gets worse and quit! Give it time.

I know that you are not supposed to go out in the sun but it helps to have a light tan so that you can quit wearing makeup until your face clears up and it helps to hide the blemishes through the bad breakouts. Just be careful not to get too much sun or it will do more harm than good. That is all you need is to have your face peeling from a bad burn and acne meds drying out your face at the same time!

Let me know if anything here worked for anyone.

Pam