Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PetPeeve

About oil control

The regimen has worked great for me and I'll most likely stick to it, but I also can't deny the fact that bp is addictive and that could bring problems. I am currently using regular Clearasil On spot as the alternative to Dan's bp because I don't have any checking or credit card to purchase bp online. I was clear for a long time after Accutane, until I started wanting to take care of my acne scarring. I dried my face on purpose to flake off skin and it actually lessened the appearance of my scarring. It is nothing temporary, this was months ago.

Now that I stopped drying my skin my sebum is out of control as a response and bp is just making it worse. The dryer I am, the more sebum my skin makes while I sleep at night. Bp keeps the acne a little under control killing bacteria, but my skin is just dying for any small excuse, any little abbrasion or irritation to start breaking out again, especially with the uncontroled sebum production. How can I stop the oil?

it sounds like the effects of Accutane are wearing off for you. I know it stinks, I was clear for almost 4 years after Accutane before the oil came back and the breakouts.

The only product I know of to stop oil is Accutane, you can consider another go at it. Otherwise, oil-blotting sheets, pressed powder, and minimal moisturizer.

I know I know...it is wearing off on me. Damn, after 6 friggin' years! I don't want to say that I regret over drying my face with bp, because scars really traumatized me and the flaking from the dry bp really helped me out on the scars a little. Unfortunately, it caused me to overproduce too much oil, no matter how gentle I try to be with my face now.

I am trying as of now to collect as much info as possible on how to control oil and I was recommended a retinol called Green Cream from the OTC board section, I just want to know what are all of my options as of now besides going back on Accutane again. I am trying to avoid the oral because it is a big risk trying to do scar revision proceedures while on Accutane--I'd have to wait months for that if I do tane again! I just have small mild mild breakouts, but they are there and just waiting to explode if given a chance. Something which hasn't happened to me in 6 glorious years!...I'm afraid of keeping up the BP.

well, if you decide to give the green cream a go, let me know how it turns out. It's a retinol cream, typically helps to clear the pores and smooth out wrinkles, not sure how effective on oil control it is though. Retin-A always seemed to make me even more oily.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Brandy: your oil didn't come back for 4 years?

sorry GD2006 =( wish something would help but yeah all I know are those oil blotting sheets and useless gels

That depends on the person, Fuman. Accutane was a miracle worker for me because it kept my oil under control for 6 years, but it really did some other damage as well which I'm still trying to undo. That's how powerful it is. If ever comes the need to go back on tane again, I wouldn't hesitate on it.

Brandy: your oil didn't come back for 4 years?

sorry GD2006 =( wish something would help but yeah all I know are those oil blotting sheets and useless gels

guess my wording was confusing. :confused:

After Accutane, my skin was pretty normal until about 4 years later. Gradually the oil and breakouts did come back (which is why I am here on the Regimen). However, my oil is still not near as bad as it was pre-Accutane, and the breakouts are much milder as well.

ok thanks .........did you both do any uhm regiman while you were clear after? or just do the usual water clean or whatever basic

ok thanks .........did you both do any uhm regiman while you were clear after? or just do the usual water clean or whatever basic

to be honest Fuman, I honestly don't remember WHAT I did after Accutane. :razz: My derm really didn't give me any specific instructions when I finished, and I wasn't a member here, so I think I just washed, but it was so many years ago I just really don't remember, sorry. I didn't even use any moisturizer when I was on Accutane, if I remember correctly.

p.s. let this be a good reminder why those accutane journals are so helpful, if I had thought to keep a journal or log, I might be able to answer better, lol.

I remember....

I didn't do jack squat after tane...! that's how well it kept me clear.

that may be why I don't remember doing anything in particular. I think I just washed, and went on with my life.

try vitamin b5 (oraL)...it works by creating coenzyme A which breaks dowb the fatty acids taht bexome sebum....the only problem is that u have to take lots of it (5-10 g per day/ 4 times a day).

^^ I think I might try the b5, I've heard a lot on it.

There is a cream (which I haven't tried) that a lot of people are boasting about because it controls the oil very well--called Green Cream. I was recommended this by a member here. Visit the site, it's a retinoid that also helps with superficial imperfections...

greencream.com