Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mms1490

Cysts at age 37

Hello, I have suddenly begun to get cysts at the age of 37 >:'( I have had acne since my late 20s, but its really ramping up now. I have two cysts just beginning to go down since they appeared at Christmas. I have a new cyst forming - get this - in my nostril. At this point I always have at least a dozen zits on my face (on shoulders, chest and back too) at any given time, now with the addition of painful big bumps. What on earth is happening here? I would like to try Dan's regimen, but I have been let down so many times...and I'm terrified of moisturizers of any kind. At this point I clearly need moisturizers (37 yrs old and those little lines are appearing), but even if I use them only around my eyes, I get a zit on my eyelid! If anyone has any advice, I am eager to hear it.

hello!

Dan's regimen is best for mild/moderate acne, some people have had it help cysts, but honestly, you should probably consult with a dermatologist, you may need to consider accutane for cystic acne.

My research on accutane - and backed up by more than one dermatologist - indicates that it has limited success for women my age...as its hormonal...so terrible.

sometimes "limited success" is better than no success. Oftentimes Accutane, even when not a "cure" can at least make acne manageable with topicals when your course of Accutane is over.

I am 36, I did a 6-month round of Accutane about 5 years ago, it kept the oil and breakouts away for about 4 years before I needed to start treating my skin again, at least now it is manageable with over-the-counter topical medications (Dan's regimen).

Good luck with your decision, I know how frustrating it is to have to put your faith in yet again, another treatment.

Thank you Brandy. Do you have any advice about moisturizers if I decide to try the regimen? I have found that all moisturizers, even those for problem skin, make me break out.

Hello, I have suddenly begun to get cysts at the age of 37 >:'( I have had acne since my late 20s, but its really ramping up now. I have two cysts just beginning to go down since they appeared at Christmas. I have a new cyst forming - get this - in my nostril. At this point I always have at least a dozen zits on my face (on shoulders, chest and back too) at any given time, now with the addition of painful big bumps.

I don't know much about PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) but I believe that sudden-onset cystic acne in women in their 30s is often linked to it. I suggest doing a little online research and seeing a doctor.

Thank you Brandy. Do you have any advice about moisturizers if I decide to try the regimen? I have found that all moisturizers, even those for problem skin, make me break out.

well, not sure which one's you may have tried, but anything oil-free and non-comedogenic is okay for the regimen. There is Neutrogena oil-free and 'for sensitive skin', there is also Eucerin skin renewal, and Purpose lotion, and Cetaphil face lotion. There are many others that are okay, sometimes it just takes a few tries to find one you like.

And Q of the H above had some good advice, it's always good to have a checkup when things suddenly go bad. I've pretty much had problem skin my entire life, so I probably only have genetics to blame. But if this is all completely sudden for you, then perhaps a check is in order.

Hello, I have suddenly begun to get cysts at the age of 37 >:'( I have had acne since my late 20s, but its really ramping up now. I have two cysts just beginning to go down since they appeared at Christmas. I have a new cyst forming - get this - in my nostril. At this point I always have at least a dozen zits on my face (on shoulders, chest and back too) at any given time, now with the addition of painful big bumps.

I don't know much about PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) but I believe that sudden-onset cystic acne in women in their 30s is often linked to it. I suggest doing a little online research and seeing a doctor.

I've wondered about that, I'm going to get checked for that. Thank you!

well, not sure which one's you may have tried, but anything oil-free and non-comedogenic is okay for the regimen. There is Neutrogena oil-free and 'for sensitive skin', there is also Eucerin skin renewal, and Purpose lotion, and Cetaphil face lotion. There are many others that are okay, sometimes it just takes a few tries to find one you like.

And Q of the H above had some good advice, it's always good to have a checkup when things suddenly go bad. I've pretty much had problem skin my entire life, so I probably only have genetics to blame. But if this is all completely sudden for you, then perhaps a check is in order.

I just purchased the supplies for my regimen: Basis bar cleanser, Neutrogena On the Spot BP cream, Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer for sensitive skin. Nothing to lose, so here goes!

I've wondered about that, I'm going to get checked for that. Thank you!

I just purchased the supplies for my regimen: Basis bar cleanser, Neutrogena On the Spot BP cream, Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer for sensitive skin. Nothing to lose, so here goes!

alright! Well, I wish you luck. Don't hesitate to PM me, or ask in the Regimen Forum, if you have any questions.

Just a note on BP on older skin.

It is true that BP can block oil production in skin completely? If so I am not so sure BP is the best thing for 30+. I have read a lot of posts from people 30+ that BP dries the skin way too much adding to the aging effect.

I know that the older we get the harder it is to retain moisture in the skin and many of us try to get rid of the oil factor but in doing so strip the moisture as well.

I know from experience that an oily complexion doesn’t mean you have good moisture content.

Any thoughts?

Just a note on BP on older skin.

It is true that BP can block oil production in skin completely? If so I am not so sure BP is the best thing for 30+. I have read a lot of posts from people 30+ that BP dries the skin way too much adding to the aging effect.

I know that the older we get the harder it is to retain moisture in the skin and many of us try to get rid of the oil factor but in doing so strip the moisture as well.

I know from experience that an oily complexion doesn’t mean you have good moisture content.

Any thoughts?

No idea if it blocks oil production, but it definitely dehydrates the skin ... I'd never put it on my face, and I totally agree that anyone over 30 should think long and hard about using it as an overall treatment (although I think men can get away with it better than women).

I do think it has a place as a spot treatment for inflamed pimples ... I just wouldn't slather it on ...

my skin is typically very oily, so a low-percentage bp does just fine. I would never coat my face with the typical 10%, that's too harsh. But the 2.5% that Dan recommends actually is fine on my face, go figure. I understand it's not for everyone, and of course drier skin types beware, but I'm 36 and my skin does just fine with it. Use a good moisturizer to counteract any unwanted dryness, that usually does the trick.

The only thing that ever worked for my cyst acne, was Yasmin.

I switched birth control pills over the summer because Orthrotricycline was giving me major problems....Yasmin did wonders for my skin....the overall clarity was great. I'm 30yrs. and I only use BP on pimples and not all over my face. I use some off-brand moisturizer for my face, from Wall-Mart....Equate brand facial lotion...surprisingly, it works well. The dermatologist prescribed me a lotion-Cleocin-T Lotion.....haven't filled the prescription yet, so I'm not sure if it works :think:

Hello, I have suddenly begun to get cysts at the age of 37 >:'( I have had acne since my late 20s, but its really ramping up now. I have two cysts just beginning to go down since they appeared at Christmas. I have a new cyst forming - get this - in my nostril. At this point I always have at least a dozen zits on my face (on shoulders, chest and back too) at any given time, now with the addition of painful big bumps. What on earth is happening here? I would like to try Dan's regimen, but I have been let down so many times...and I'm terrified of moisturizers of any kind. At this point I clearly need moisturizers (37 yrs old and those little lines are appearing), but even if I use them only around my eyes, I get a zit on my eyelid! If anyone has any advice, I am eager to hear it.

Hello

well, you're not alone, that's for sure...I'm 42 and still get hormonal cysts.....I started breaking out in my early teens but cleared for most of my twenties...then, in my early thirties (after 2 kids) , the cysts began to reappear- almost exclusively on my chin....they come monthly, usually the 2 weeks between ovulation and my period...some months i'm clear, others i'm not...)

I've had the most success with a combination of the jessfoliation ( look for the link in the OTC drugs link on this site) and a cream called Avage, which is tazorac in a creamier base, and minocycline....OH, and by the way, don't be scared of moisturizers, there are some good ones out there!! I currently use Olay for sensitive skin and I LOVE it...not in the least bit greasy...and i was scared to use them for years for fear of breaking me out, but this has never ever done that to me...my 15 year old daughter uses it too and she likes it, and she has acne too.

I've not done Dan's regimin, but I hear lots of people on this site saying that accutane is the only thing that will help cysts...WEll, I've found this not to be true for me at all....the exfoliation with a complexion brush and the Avage, and the minocycline keep my almost completely clear...not 100%, but close to it...

oh, and i'll only be on the minocycline for about 6 months before I taper off...I started taking it back in december after a bad hormonal acne month...my derm told me to take it for about 6 months to get the outbreak under control, and then just maintain with the exfoliation and the Avage...

good luck!!!! dont give up and don't jump on the accutane bandwagon before trying other options, in my opinion.....

I've been dealing with cystic acne since adolescence. I have been on Accutane twice with good results (until pregnancy when cysts returned.) I have had cortisone shots, every antibiotic known to man, every skin regimine used (including Proactive, which works in combination now with meds). All dermatologists (many) and even OB/GYN's blew me off about hormone tests. My Primary helped me by referring me to an Endocrinologist. I was diagnosed with PCOS. I have Diabetes in my family history, very mild hair growth (a few on my chin), history of irregular periods and cysts and cystic acne. It was discovered that my testosterone level was very high. I do not have a weight problem however and that was the only criteria I didn't meet. I have been treated for PCOS and it sooooo worked well for me. Recently I stopped taking the meds because I didn't take the time to get refills, etc. with my move and guess what??? Cysts like I haven't had in years (ovarian ones too seem to correlate for me). I'm 38 now and know that I have to keep up with my Metabolic treatments. Maybe when I hit Menopause, my acne will stop without meds!!!. Its worth a try. Many doctors can blow you off. The worst that can happen with an Endocrinologist is that allof your metabolic history is taken!!! It's a good place to start so you know what skin regimine to take.

Hi,

Believe it or not you sound like me except I just turned 40 and guess what I finally conquered my acne after nearly 15 years of it getting worse better and worse all over. Do not go for Accutane. I did it twice with only limited results. Six months ago I went to a dermatologist who did Levulan (it is a topical drug) in combination with Intense Pulsed Light therapy. (this is not simply blue light --- that was a was of time/money). I had six treatments (each one 3 weeks apart) and for the first time in over 15 years my skin looks great month after month. I have my life back and it's about time. Levulan has about 3 - 4 days of down time so it takes determination ( and half way through I wondered it it would really work) but unlike Accutane there are not horible drug side effects. Who knows what I have done to my body by taking accutane twice. I also picked up a great book The Skin Type Solution by Dr. L. Baumann which determines which type you are (there are 16) and then gives specific treatment plans / product lists for your skin.

Today I am using Clear skin bp gel daily along with Tazorac from my doctor. I also see my doctor for a glycolic peel every six weeks to keep my skin looking great. It is a small price to pay to have my life back and not be embarrased about acne at my age.

Good Luck

Eliza66

Hi,

Believe it or not you sound like me except I just turned 40 and guess what I finally conquered my acne after nearly 15 years of it getting worse better and worse all over. Do not go for Accutane. I did it twice with only limited results. Six months ago I went to a dermatologist who did Levulan (it is a topical drug) in combination with Intense Pulsed Light therapy. (this is not simply blue light --- that was a was of time/money). I had six treatments (each one 3 weeks apart) and for the first time in over 15 years my skin looks great month after month. I have my life back and it's about time. Levulan has about 3 - 4 days of down time so it takes determination ( and half way through I wondered it it would really work) but unlike Accutane there are not horible drug side effects. Who knows what I have done to my body by taking accutane twice. I also picked up a great book The Skin Type Solution by Dr. L. Baumann which determines which type you are (there are 16) and then gives specific treatment plans / product lists for your skin.

Today I am using Clear skin bp gel daily along with Tazorac from my doctor. I also see my doctor for a glycolic peel every six weeks to keep my skin looking great. It is a small price to pay to have my life back and not be embarrased about acne at my age.

Good Luck

Eliza66

Hi there,

I'm 39 and I found that Dan's routine cleared up my mild acne. I started getting small, persistant zits around my hairline ( of all places) about a year ago. They never quite went away and got worse with the hormones at certain times of the month. At first I'd thought I was reacting to my haircare products, then I found this site.

I have noticed that one result of the BP is my skin has been drier. So, I moisturise.

Here's one very important note about moisturier..it dosen't prevent wrinkles. You can soak in a vat of the best stuff and still get wrinkles.

Wrinkles happen because the underlying skin structures are breaking down with age. Sorta like a pothole. You can wet down the street all you want, but it won't stop the earth from settling underneath the road.

If you already have oily skin, you don't need to moisturise. Only people with dry skin need to do that.

If you already have oily skin, you don't need to moisturise. Only people with dry skin need to do that.

SIMPLY NOT TRUE

I think this is a good thread to post my issue. I have had acne all my life. Well actually pimples. I have oily skin. In fact as I look into a mirror now my forehead is oily. I have two red bumps. I have had these all my life. I am just worried it is something other than acne. I also have one on my cheek. These have come up over the years. They are red bumps that dont have a white head or blackhead. What causes these? Anyone have these on there forehead some times? How have you cleared it up?

Thank you,