Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andrea1982

My Stievamycin gel & Yasmin BCP regimen

First, a bit of history. I'm a 23 year old female, and I've had mild to moderate acne since I was 13. I have blackheads all over my nose, and some on my chin. I have whiteheads on my forhead, cheeks, and chin, and I usually have about 2 three red pimples at a time. I've used pretty much anything you can find over the counter. BP makes my skin so dry, with raised red dry patches. SA gives my skin tiny bumps all over that go away within about two days of stopping the product.

I figured out I have extremely sensitive skin, and I've been causing a lot of my own problems by switching from irritating product to irritating product. A few weeks ago I decided to just wash my face with dove soap and use nivea creme. Well, it worked really well for about two weeks, no new breakouts, then I had a serious breakout with tones of white heads and pustules. What I found out was: Gentle products are good, but I still have to use ones made for acne prone skin.

I've been on yasmin for Birth Control for about two months, and I haven't really noticed a difference in my acne yet. I had been off birth control for a year before that. I used Orto tricyclin before, and I never really noticed a difference with that either.

I am also really bad with picking, so I am currently trying to stop that too. It seems like the only time I get pustules is when I have picked at a whitehead, so I'm trying to go cold turkey from picking right now.

I was at the Dr's yesterday, and she prescribed Stievamycin gel mild for me to try for a few months. It's tretinoin and erythromycin. The pharmacyst said it was a really good treatment for acne, so I hope it works. I put this on for the first time, and it's a really wierd goopy kind of gel. It spreads on really smoothly, though. I didn't have any burning or anything. When I woke up this morning, I had these tiny wisps of dead skin peeling off, no redness. I'm taking this as a good sign, and I'm going to give this treatment a full try for at least three months. I'm just not looking forward to the purging stage :(.

Anyway, my full regimen is in my signature. I have some starting point pics, but I can't figure out how to post them yet.

Good luck! I'm also on tretinoin. 0.1% retin-a micro, I'm on my 16th week, and still improving. I'm waiting another month, then I'm going to add in a BCP. Probably Diane 35, but I have been considering yasmin as well.

Yasmin is working great for me. After the IB, I've been clear. It takes 2-3 months for the hormones to settle so if it's not helping by then, it might be time to consider another type of BCP. :think:

I suffered quite a bit during the first 3 weeks on Tretinoin. I had the same complains as people on accutane write about here: redness, dry flaky skin, extremely dry lips, etc. It's ben five weeks now and I can't be happier. :dance: It does get worse before it gets better but if it works for you, the results would be worth it!

Thanks for the encouraging words, and feedback :).

So far so good. My skin doesn't feel dry per se, but kind of red and irritated, and a little flakey. I had some raised sore bumps (a rash? from the sun?) on my Right cheek, so I took a break from the Stievamycin last night. It's looking a lot better this morning, so I'm going to continue on tonight.

Well, I put on the third application of Stievamycin last night. When I got up this morning my face was slightly flakey, but not red. I've discoverd that my face was getting irritated during the washing process the next morning, (i guess I was scrubbing too hard). I was very gentle this morning, and I haven't noticed any more irritation during the day. Still no new pimples...

Day 5

Okay, so the reness is okay, but my face really has a lot of flakes. Hmm, I'm debating on whether or not I should add in some gentle exfoliation once in a while. I'm scared though... My skin doesn't really feel Dry, not tight at all, just flakey and kind of raw. Ugh! It's so hard for me to keep going, cuz the flakeyness looks worse than my mild acne did... but I want to get rid of this acne once and for all, so I'm going to suck it up.

Okay, so when I woke up this morning my skin was really flakey, so I decided to try some gentle exfoliation in the shower. I had some left over St. Ives Ultra Gentle Apricot scrub for sensitive skin, and I used that. It got rid of some of the obvious flakes, and made my skin feel a little softer. Didn't make my skin irritated at all... Oh, and I switched my daytime moisturizer to Aveeno ultra-calming SPF 15. It's a little thicker, and that seems to be helping.

My skin is looking much better today. A lot less flakes, almost none! And my skin feels smooth. I have about 7 pimples total on my cheeks that are healing (was that the initial breakout? it's a lot more than I usually have at one time). I'm still applying the stievamycin very thinly. Happy so far.

Into Week Two...

Okay, this is working really well. I am clear of pustules, and just have some small bumps and blackheads. I'm having stuff come to the surface daily ( I mean blackheads and bumps where there weren't any before) but they're clearing really fast. The flakeyness is vastly subsided, and my skin feels smooth. I'm so excited.

Week Three:

Well, I'm still not seeing additional improvements yet (it's only three weeks though, I wasn't really expecting to , just hoping.) I've only had a couple of pustules that went away really fast, but I'm still having a lot of bumps surfacing. My skin feels soft, but I just have a lot of tiny bumps. The flakeyness has pretty much gone away, although my skin looks red after I wash it. I've wanted to completly quit a couple of times, because of the redness and sensitivity, but I have to keep going. I don't want to loose any progress that I've made.