Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Prophet

My Problems with the Regimen

Dan, first of all, thanks for putting up the site and everything. You've done a great thing for lots of people. But I want to add my criticism of the regimen.

First of all, I've been on it for one and a half years or so. It works pretty well, but not fantastic. And I followed it to the letter. Every day, I might have missed 3-4 applications over the one and a half years.

Mostly I'd get a zit here or there, nothing huge or life altering. A few cysts now and again.

But there are too many problems with it that are just inherent to the process itself.

Problem 1: The time

I'm a busy guy. I work at a busy place. Every minute of my day is pretty important to me. And the time that I have to take every day to first wash my face, then let it dry, then apply bp, then let it dry, then apply moisturizer, then make sure it doesn't flake, or leave white spots on my face is always at *least* a half-hour. At morning and at night. And that's assuming that whatever I do in the waiting period doesn't distract me for longer than absolutely necessary to let everything dry.

Problem 2: The cost

This regimen is really quite expensive. The BP all adds up, the moisturizers add up, the washes add up. But more than that, far more than that, is the cost of the clothes/towels/mats or whatever that I have gotten BP on and cost money to replace. I've ruined several shirts, most towels, not to mention my girlfriend's shirts/towels etc. BP is harsh and especially when you like to wear thin t-shirts (which just look a lot better) and you don't like to wear white, it's going to inevitably spot up your clothes.

Problem 3: The ineffectiveness

Now this problem may just be personal to me, but in my mind, this regimen does not solve several problems with my skin. I'm fairly clear of pimples, yes. No big angry red marks, yes. But what about the texture of my face? It feels like it is clogged up or rough all the time. The blackheads on my nose not only haven't disappeared, but I feel they in fact have gotten more numerous. Putting all this stuff on your face just simply cannot be a good thing for it.

Now don't get me wrong. It's pretty effective. And more effective than anything else I've tried. But it's not perfect.

Problem 4: The duration

Essentially, what I've been told is that I have to do this for a very long time. Maybe forever. When you add up problems 1-3 for me, they just don't justify the regimen as a long-term solution.

Conclusion: Try something else.

I'm in the process of trying something or anything else. I stumbled on the Jessfoliation tactic, and I'm about a week in and haven't had any major problems yet. I feel like it's better on my time, better for cost, and seems to be just as effective. For me. So maybe I'm going to get hit hard in the next few weeks, and that will change my mind and I'll have to abandon it as a technique. But I won't come back to the regimen. There's just too many problems with it that I feel can't be resolved without a major overhaul.

i would say that the regimen is a helpfull guide and nothing in life is free man.

dan made this all to help people like us to hopefully get clearer skin u know.

he isnt gaining anything from it an im not sure about how it was meant to sound but ur post sounded a little bit........ ungratefull?

im not being mean or anything but i think it should be apparant that dan shared this to help people an thats it.

the regimen works well for mild to moderate acne i feel.

sure you get spots now and again but tahts life, no1 is clear skinned all the time. (just check actors faces in movies an stuff, u can always see makeup covering up a spot) hehe

the regimen isnt perfect sure, but its a solution for a lot of peoples sadness and it has helped a lot of people and thats the main thing, just check the success storys

We all have to decide for ourselves what is worthwhile and what is not.

For many of us, the Regimen is worth every minute, every dime, and every supposed inconvenience. I'd rather spend a few minutes and spend a few dollars than deal with a broken out face.

Good luck to you Prophet, I hope you do well off the Regimen.

well i ahve beem using this regimen for 3 days and i have had acne since i am 14 and i am now 26..its gotten substantially worse over the last few years//i think the regimen is great and not expensive at all u just have to b ecareful!i am still breaking out but they are clearing up lots faster

I'm a busy guy. I work at a busy place. Every minute of my day is pretty important to me. And the time that I have to take every day to first wash my face, then let it dry, then apply bp, then let it dry, then apply moisturizer, then make sure it doesn't flake, or leave white spots on my face is always at *least* a half-hour. At morning and at night. And that's assuming that whatever I do in the waiting period doesn't distract me for longer than absolutely necessary to let everything dry.

I usually don't do it perfectly. I just put it on and walk on. Especially in the mornings.

This regimen is really quite expensive. The BP all adds up, the moisturizers add up, the washes add up. But more than that, far more than that, is the cost of the clothes/towels/mats or whatever that I have gotten BP on and cost money to replace. I've ruined several shirts, most towels, not to mention my girlfriend's shirts/towels etc. BP is harsh and especially when you like to wear thin t-shirts (which just look a lot better) and you don't like to wear white, it's going to inevitably spot up your clothes.

Expensive? Try adding up the costs of prescription medication. Even in the long run, the strongest prescription does not cure acne and many people willl find they have to pay again to keep their acne under control. If you find it too much for your pocket nontheless, there is no other less expensive way than the regimen to keep acne at bay, unfortunately.

Now this problem may just be personal to me, but in my mind, this regimen does not solve several problems with my skin. I'm fairly clear of pimples, yes. No big angry red marks, yes. But what about the texture of my face? It feels like it is clogged up or rough all the time. The blackheads on my nose not only haven't disappeared, but I feel they in fact have gotten more numerous. Putting all this stuff on your face just simply cannot be a good thing for it.

Now don't get me wrong. It's pretty effective. And more effective than anything else I've tried. But it's not perfect.

BP isn't inteded for clogged pores.

I'm in the process of trying something or anything else. I stumbled on the Jessfoliation tactic, and I'm about a week in and haven't had any major problems yet. I feel like it's better on my time, better for cost, and seems to be just as effective. For me. So maybe I'm going to get hit hard in the next few weeks, and that will change my mind and I'll have to abandon it as a technique. But I won't come back to the regimen. There's just too many problems with it that I feel can't be resolved without a major overhaul.

Everyone has to find their niche, I hope you find yours.

i feel ya man.. i been eating healthy for like 4 months no topicals and im stickin with it cause it really changes the skin i can tell my skin is more durable

i would say that the regimen is a helpfull guide and nothing in life is free man.

he isnt gaining anything from it an im not sure about how it was meant to sound but ur post sounded a little bit........ ungratefull?

Not at all. I'm glad I found this page, I'm glad I tried it, etc. I just think there are some problems inherent to the regimen itself which make it an unattractive option for me. I think it needs some tweaking, I'm just not prepared to be the guinea pig myself :shifty:

Not at all. I'm glad I found this page, I'm glad I tried it, etc. I just think there are some problems inherent to the regimen itself which make it an unattractive option for me. I think it needs some tweaking, I'm just not prepared to be the guinea pig myself :shifty:

my advice is try it because it does work man, id give it a month of doing it day in day out and i guarantee it wil work

Dan, first of all, thanks for putting up the site and everything. You've done a great thing for lots of people. But I want to add my criticism of the regimen.

First of all, I've been on it for one and a half years or so. It works pretty well, but not fantastic. And I followed it to the letter. Every day, I might have missed 3-4 applications over the one and a half years.

Mostly I'd get a zit here or there, nothing huge or life altering. A few cysts now and again.

But there are too many problems with it that are just inherent to the process itself.

Problem 4: The duration

Essentially, what I've been told is that I have to do this for a very long time. Maybe forever. When you add up problems 1-3 for me, they just don't justify the regimen as a long-term solution.

Conclusion: Try something else.

use ur main account, it's better. don't hide. Remember the mods can check ur IP

What do you expect Dan to do, tell everyone currently on the regimen and having success with it to throw in Jessfoliation? What he preaches worked for him when other things (like exfoliation) didn't. The regimen is awesome in the sense that it is a simple, relatively cheap (compared to prescription meds and fancy acne kits), and near foolproof way to clear up your skin for as long as you are willing to keep using it. You can't go wrong with gentle washing, loads of BP, and good moisturizing--but you might have problems with just about anything else. You are, however, completely free to modify the regimen how you desire. Dan's not forcing you to do exactly what he says! I exfoliate with a toothbrush, for example, which he does not recommend. Quite a few people use a glycolic acid toner with the regimen even though it isn't one of his steps. What you have to do is figure out how to deal with the other issues your skin has that the regimen doesn't address, like blackheads--why not exfoliate your nose and continue to use the regimen? They're not mutually exclusive.