Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Willow3

Anyone else used retin-a?

I'm just finished my fourth month, and I still have clogged pores all over the place, especially on my nose. So altogether I first did 5 weeks at 0.01, then five weeks at 0.025, then three months at 0.05, then now 4 months on 0.1. I am really starting to realize how persistent my acne is... it looks like I will have blackheads for life.

I'm just finished my fourth month, and I still have clogged pores all over the place, especially on my nose. So altogether I first did 5 weeks at 0.01, then five weeks at 0.025, then three months at 0.05, then now 4 months on 0.1. I am really starting to realize how persistent my acne is... it looks like I will have blackheads for life.

I'm actually using retin-a now. My derm just prescribed it to me last......umm.... Tuesday and today is Saturday. I'm using Klaron in the morning taking oral meds morning and night and night time is also when I use retin-a. For me, this has been working miracles. I can actually see normal colored skin :))))!

If it's not working for you you should contact your derm. and make another appointment and tell him/ her your skin seems to be getting worse.

Hope I helped,

BoB

I used it for about 2 months and I still had nose blackheads. The best thing I've found to get rid of those is QH Mint Julep Masque. However, they'll still return a day later...

I used it for about 2 months and I still had nose blackheads. The best thing I've found to get rid of those is QH Mint Julep Masque. However, they'll still return a day later...

Hi- Ive used retin-a for years (maybe 5 yrs) didnt do anything much, another waste of money. :(

Ive just stopped using Retin-a. It worked well at first but after a few months it stopped working and in the end my skin started feeling even greasier that before i was using it.

The retin-a has woked to reduce my moderate acne to mild, actually ahs made more of a difference than any med other than Diane 35, i'm just surprised that it has not gotten rid of my blackheads and whiteheads. it si supposed to be the best for that, although it has reduced the number of them a little.

I've been on retin-a micro 0.04% for about 2 months, before that I was on differin 0.10% for 4 months. I still have those nose blackheads, but they're much smaller and not as noticable now, but they're still there. Overall my skin is doing a lot better. I no longer have acne all over my cheeks and chin. I can be clear (as in no active lesions) for about three weeks at a time. I still break out once a month though...

Willow, if your blackheads are extracted, do they come back?

If not, or if they come back slowly, or smaller .... why not go to a derm or an aesthetician and have a bunch of extractions done? Might make a big difference.

Q

Ive just stopped using Retin-a. It worked well at first but after a few months it stopped working and in the end my skin started feeling even greasier that before i was using it.

yea, my skin seemed to get oilier when I was on Retin-A.

It was great for plumping up the skin, but the redness and oil were not worth it.

yea, my skin seemed to get oilier when I was on Retin-A.

It was great for plumping up the skin, but the redness and oil were not worth it.

Tretonin doesn't actually make you oilier. What it does is it prevents the formation of microcomedoes that obstruct the philosebaceous ducts by regulating the ketatinization and desquamation of the skin cells that line the sebaceous follicles. This means your pores arent as easily blocked, so the sebum can flow to the surface of the skin freely. This is why you may seem oilier when using a topical retinoid. It's actually a good thing really....I'd rather the sebum be on the surface of my skin, so I can blot it away, rather than it be stuck in my pores with bacteria, just waiting to become a pustule, papule or a monster cyst.........

It may be a product that you're using. I noticed when I switched to a different vitamin C serum that I got a bunch of small blackheads, even where I didn't get them normally like on my forehead. If I quit using it they go away in a couple of days. Same thing with a night cream I just bought. So, try doing with out one of products one at a time for a week or so and see if it might be the cause.

Willow, if your blackheads are extracted, do they come back?

If not, or if they come back slowly, or smaller .... why not go to a derm or an aesthetician and have a bunch of extractions done? Might make a big difference.

Q

They do come back smaller. I bought one of those home extraction tools, which works well. When I'm working this summer I might have some extractions done, I think that is a good idea, but right now I don't have the money.

Does anyone have a picture of the extraction tool?

Recently, the black head bug has gotten to me, mainly around my nose.

Does anyone have a picture of the extraction tool?

Recently, the black head bug has gotten to me, mainly around my nose.

Do NOT, do NOT buy the drugstore one that looks like a tiny spoon with a tiny hole in the bottom. When you press that against your skin, you will end up with a tiny red circle around your blackhead. Bullseye!

What you want is the Schamberg comedone extractor. Here's a link:

Schamberg loop

A word of caution: this site only sells to people who claim to be professionals. So if you order from them, when they ask for your occupation, just type in "cosmetology student" or "esthetician" or something like that. :ninja:

Q

Yeah, when I was on retin-a micro I had absolutely zero blackheads, but it did barely anything for my cystic crap.