Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If I eat, will I get acne? I think I'll not eat anything.

I've read that fasting can actually help clear your body of toxins and clear your skin, so maybe that's not a bad idea. But you have to eat sometime (or you'll die) so it's best to figure out what the best foods to eat would be...

Well dawg. I can garanteeeeeE that if you eat nothing, that yer face is gunna get something much worse than acne. And it's not going to be pretty. Holes in face are not fun. On the flipside you can try steven boroughs master cleanse if you wanna be all extreme like that. Let us know how the cayenne pepper works out for ya.

You *could* eat nothing.

But eventually your body, desperate for nourishment, will eat itself. First your fat, then your muscles, and then your internal organs.

Ever see someone who's so starved that thier body has resorted to eating it's own HEART? I have.

It's not pretty. And it's bad for the complexion.

Rediculous question, so you will get a rediculous answer... NO! :lol:

I was actually making this post because I laugh at all the stupid topics about food and acne. Will eating bread kill me? I think not, but some people think that food is actually causing thier acne. I understand some people have an allergic to some foods, but let's not jump the gun on this one. Do you really think that food caused acne over the last 40 years? Think how many millions of people had clear skin, yet punished thier bodies. No way that in the last 15 years, food has started to mysteriously cause acne. I'm not knock'n, or wanting to get into a debate again. I just read these topics, and laugh. Maybe laughing will cure my acne.

I don't know what you mean about the 40 years, but I read a book by a doctor in the 1920s, where he determined that a certain diet which is low in carbs and sugar, cured acne in 90% of his patients.

I was actually making this post because I laugh at all the stupid topics about food and acne. Will eating bread kill me? I think not, but some people think that food is actually causing thier acne. I understand some people have an allergic to some foods, but let's not jump the gun on this one. Do you really think that food caused acne over the last 40 years? Think how many millions of people had clear skin, yet punished thier bodies. No way that in the last 15 years, food has started to mysteriously cause acne. I'm not knock'n, or wanting to get into a debate again. I just read these topics, and laugh. Maybe laughing will cure my acne.

Okay, first of all, no topicals have ever worked for me. I could turn your way of thinking around, and ridicule benzoyl peroxide enthusiasts, simply because my experience doesn't match theirs. But I'm not going to, because its just not that simple.

Why is it not possible that people's acne are caused by different hormonal dispositions? (or some of the other popular theories)

Why is it that some people get diabetes and others don't? Why is it on the rise? I mean, obviously these are complex questions dealing heavily with genetics and long-term health. But why has it risen sharply in the past few decades, and why are younger and younger people getting "adult onset" diabetes? One of the theories of acne is hormonal influence via hyperinsulinemia... and is there any doubt that the typical western diet has turned SHARPLY towards the direction of promoting hyperinsulinemia?

I'm not a biology expert, and I'm not prepared to argue on this topic... nor do I want to waste time getting into an argument either. Plus, I'm not trying to support any one theory. But why are you so quick to dismiss diet as a connection in SOME PEOPLE (ie, the people that turned to the diet/holistic forum because nothing else worked...).

Granted, it is very easy for people to delude themselves, especially when they have famous doctors (like Dr Cordain, Dr Mercola, Dr etc etc) trumpeting the theory of diet being a major cause in acne. However, just because some beginners get the details wrong doesn't mean there isn't any merit to the ideas.

That didn't quite explain it.

Care to elaborate?

You seem scared to...

you aren't talking to me, right? (probably a stupid question, because it seems that you're talking to the joker above)

the way breads are made are nasty reading the ingredients. i now dont mind eating 5 dollar mens bread because its yeast free and gives me alot of energy. people eat fastfood and eat one meal for over 5 dollars. why not buy a delicous bread and some peanut butter and eat like 10 meals for like 8 dollars. seriously most natural carbs wont break ya out but most bread isnt natural. that just my opinion on carbs

i read that fasting can actually cause breakouts.

i read that fasting can actually cause breakouts.

They can in some people - as a "detox" symptom. However, when I was breaking out, juice fasting was a sure-fire way to stop the breakouts. The effects would usually last like a week.

when you break out from somethign like fastng it's like, an initial breakout. your skin is purging all the crap thats lodged deep inside it.

added bonus of not eating--- you'll get super thin and everyone will love you! you'll have so many more friends, and everyone will think you're gorgeous! it'll make you a better person. eating is for the weak.

Fasting can definitely clear your skin if you do it properly.

Done improperly, it can make your acne much worse then it already is.

When you detox, starve, or unload your body of toxins, built up matter, etc. You are bringing yout body to an extremely sensitive state. Like a newborn child who hasn't eaten anything. Think of it as a chance to start over. What most people don't understand about a detox is you need to do just that. Start Over.

You can't detox for a week (which, I commend you if you could actually do it that long) then after the week go "Ok cool, I'm rid of toxins, time for Burger King", Imagine feeding a newborn child burger king, wait, we probably do that in America anyways. You get the idea. Like taking a blank canvas and splattering it with black paint. You get extreme effects.

It just as strongly advised for you to ease OUT of a bad diet, as it is for you to ease back INTO eating "normal" foods. This might be why detoxing never had lasting effects on me.

For one, I never had a horrible diet to begin with, so I think I was just unloading all the nutrients inside me.

I did a fruit detox for a week, and by week, I mean I just BARELY got to day 5. Lucky for me, I went on a week long trip after that, so I hardly ate, and when I did, It was smoothies or fruit or salads. So consider it a two week detox. My moderate scaring was hardly visible, and the few pimples I did have were no where to be seen.

So, yes, it did work for me...

...for two weeks.

I came back home, and since unfortunately I am only human. I, that night, sat down to a nice big plate of fettucini with alfredo sauce. Now, this is something that has never broken me out before (as far as I know) But the next morning, suicide seemed not to far off (boohoo me, eh). My face was a mess with pimples on my checks. Why? Why! Why! Pasta never breaks me out!

After some deep thinking, I realized, it's because my stomach had been practically empty for two weeks now, and this spastic and fairly large meal wasn't warmly greeted in my virgin stomach.

That is when I realized, detoxing just isn't for me, and if you lead a fairly healthy diet, I strongly advise NOT to do one. Unless you possess the willpower and time to take the weeks needed to ease off, and months needed to ease back on.

Now, I stick to a low GI diet and unless I do anything stupid with it (which, since I am a teenage boy) happens all the time. I pay the price.

I know these foods/ingredients break me out:

Partially/fully hydrogenated oils. (Most snack foods)

Chewy Colorful Candy (Gummy bears, Sourpatch Kids)

White Bread.

Sparks (Still pending, lol)

Cheap "Wines" (Arbor Mist)

Beer.

Milk Chocolate. This being one of the worst next to candy.

These "junk" foods I can eat till the world collapses, and they won't break me out:

Pizza (restaurant or pizza hut) :D:D

Triscuits.

Popcorn (I get Newmans Own with now hydrogenated oils)

Dark Chocolate.

It took me a long time to understand which ones, but I think I have a fairly good grip now.

So while my skin isnt "cured", I know what I need to do to keep it under-control and zit free.

Now to work on these damn red spots...:D

It just as strongly advised for you to ease OUT of a bad diet, as it is for you to ease back INTO eating "normal" foods. This might be why detoxing never had lasting effects on me.

For one, I never had a horrible diet to begin with, so I think I was just unloading all the nutrients inside me.

I did a fruit detox for a week, and by week, I mean I just BARELY got to day 5. Lucky for me, I went on a week long trip after that, so I hardly ate, and when I did, It was smoothies or fruit or salads. So consider it a two week detox. My moderate scaring was hardly visible, and the few pimples I did have were no where to be seen.

...for two weeks.

I came back home, and since unfortunately I am only human. I, that night, sat down to a nice big plate of fettucini with alfredo sauce. Now, this is something that has never broken me out before (as far as I know) But the next morning, suicide seemed not to far off (boohoo me, eh). My face was a mess with pimples on my checks. Why? Why! Why! Pasta never breaks me out!

Why don't you just keep eating only fruits and salads for the rest of your life?

...for two weeks.

Why don't you just keep eating only fruits and salads for the rest of your life?

Its much easier said then done, especially when you live with your parents.

My fruit supply normally runs out withen 4 days of purchase, and I don't have the willpower to starve until the next grocery trip. I am only human after all.

I do plan to lead a raw diet when I am on my own. But until then I can get by eating a balanced diet of fruits, whole grains, fish, etc.

I finished a 3 day juice fast over New Years this 2005-2006. That means nothing but water and juice (to keep my caloric intake up and because fruits like grape and apple clean are naturally detox your body). I didn't notice an improvement in my acne, but it's good for your digestive system. I'm sure if your acne is related to having a toxic body it would help you out more.