Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
slmonkey2

35yr Old Male Journal

Hey all,

BIO:

35 yr Old male who's experienced severe to moderate/mild acne for 20+ yrs.

Skin Condition:

Extremely oily, blackheads (as in every single pore) heavy around the nose and cheek areas. I get pimples (whiteheads) every now and then, w/ small cyst like lumps that pop up every now and then. No scarring from my severe acne from my youth.

I've also had the hair on my neck removed to prevent ingrown hairs after shaving.

I started Amnesteem on Feb. 17

Here goes my journal............................ :pray:

Week 1

40mg x 1 per day

Ok,

As I said I started Amnesteem on Feb. 17th, so week 1 is almost done. I've only been washing once per day with Aveeno Skin Relief Wash and using very small amounts of Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion on dry areas.

I also take 400 IU of Vitamin E x 2 a day, one in the morning and one at night.

SKIN CONDITION:

I started off the week with many pimples (7-8) so I started to grow my beard to hide them and my initial IB. Over this past week my pimples have dried up or went awayand so far no IB. And I'm already starting to flake on the sides of my face and nose, and its only day 8!!! I gently scrub off the excess skin every morning in the shower to keep me from looking like a leper. :D

So far so good. I'll post another weeks worth of disgusting skin stuff next friday. Take care everyone.

slmonkey2

It looks like I'm about two months ahead of you on my course of Accutane (Clarivis), and other than an initial breakout, it's gone pretty well.

Best wishes to you and feel free to ask if you have any questions. It's nice to see a few "older" folks around - though I think I'm one of the most senior of us all!

P&W

I'm your age and starting accutane today (or tomorrow depending on when the pharmacy can fill my script)...

As far as the initial breakout goes, my derm has suggested the following information to me:

Only 5% of accutane users have a really bad initial break out.

Antibiotics prior to starting seem to help

Older people (that's us) are less likely to both have bad initial break outs and to need additional courses with tane for lasting results.

I think the reason you read so much about the bad IB's is that people are a lot more inclined to write about bad stuff then they are good stuff.

I know a few people on this board who have told me both publicly and privately that their accutane experiences were fantastic.

They started taking the stuff, their pimples went away, and then they were gone.

Sure, they had dry skin and lips (aquaphor is supposed to be THE stuff for lips) but other then that, the stuff just worked the miracle that it is supposed to.

To hear my derm talk about, she really seems to believe that the it just does what it is supposed to do thing is WAY more common then anything else, it's just that no one makes a lot of noise about it when it does what it is supposed to do.

Here is to hoping you and I both have great success.

WEEK 2 - Still taking 40mg x 1 per day.

Holy freaking cow is my face oily!!! I've been consistent with the Aveeno Moisturizer, but I really don't need it because 2 hours after showering my face is like an oil slick. I have to wipe my face off nearly 10 times a day, and its still oozing oil like theres no tomorrow.

Other than the oil, I have zero large buddies, and like 2 or three small guys that are not noticeable. I've been putting 5% SA on the spots using a Q-tip. I know this is a no-no, but it works really well at zapping those spots that attempt to show their ugly faces. I also have a Zeno, one of those devices that zaps zits. and use it several times a week.

Well, thats it for now. I hope this oil drys up soon.

slmonkey2 (aka Tom)

Hello SLMonkey,

I was extremely oily for the first few weeks, and then I dried up very nicely. I was very oily before starting Accutane and didn't think it was possible to be OILIER, but that's what happened to me. It didn't last long, though, and now at the end of week #10 I've been dry for about 7 weeks. I've cleared up nicely and I don't have to blot my face every couple of hours. In fact, when I wake up in the morning, instead of a grease slick, my face is nicely dry. I don't peel much - just a little on the chin.

So, hang in there for the first few weeks, because better days are ahead!

Regarding the use of SA on your breakouts, I've been spot treating with BP all along and about two weeks ago started applying BP to my chin and the front of my face, because I was getting small pimples, about once a day. I think it has really helped. I've only had two tiny whiteheads in the past week. So, I don't always take the derm's advice as absolute truth, but I'm cautious if I deviate from their directions.

P&W

Going into week 3 and I'm noticing many of my blackheads are just falling out. This has never happened before. They are usually embedded deep in the pores. Now, they're just falling out on their own.

Anyone else experience this?

hey slmonkey,

you mentioned that you had the hairs on your neck removed to prevent ingrown hairs from shaving...how did that work out for you?

I have the hardest time shaving my neck everyday. The rest of my face is easy but my neck is impossible.

Hope all is well with your accutane treatment.

hey slmonkey,

you mentioned that you had the hairs on your neck removed to prevent ingrown hairs from shaving...how did that work out for you?

I have the hardest time shaving my neck everyday. The rest of my face is easy but my neck is impossible.

Hope all is well with your accutane treatment.

Hey Randy,

I had it removed at a skin/beauty clinic. They used some sort of pulse laser. I had to go in 6 times to get all the hair and it worked great. The price is kind of a downer at $300 for 6 treatments. My friend got me a discount but it's still expensive.

It hurts like hell during the treatments, kinda like someone snapping a rubberband against your skin during each pulse. You get about 100 pulses per treatment for the neck area.

Also, the laser picks up the color of your hair, so if you have gray or blonde hair it wont zap those. One of the drawbacks for those of us who are getting a little "color" in our beards. :) I don't need to shave, but I do have to manually handle some of the gray's that pop up from time to time.

The best thing is that I haven't had an ingrown hair since my 4th treatment!

Hope that answers your questions.

slmonkey2

WEEK 3

40mg x 1 per day

This week has been the best my skin has looked since I was 14 years old! No spots, red marks, or anything. And my blackheads are falling out every time I wash my face, which is only once a day. My pores have shrunk. I didn't measure them or anything, but my wife has noticed so I'll take her word for it.

The oil has definitely subsided too. I still have to wipe my face about twice a day, but way better than the past two weeks. My body is a little dry so I've been scrubbing it in the shower with one of those squishy mesh things my wife uses and it seems to be working really well. I'm still dry on my arms and hands but nothing a little moisturizer can't fix.

I'm still using the Aveeno to wash and shave and Aveeno Moisturizer when needed on my face.

I have no body aches or any of the symptoms people have talked about. But this might be due to the fact that I exercise like a fiend 5 days a week. Mostly weights for strength training. I'd be curious to know if any of the people experiencing back, muscle or joint pain exercise regularly or are in good shape or not. I'll post the question in the Prescription forum.

Hope everyone is doing good.

slmonkey2 (Tom)

slmonkey,

Sounds like things are going well. I dried out at about the point where you are now, so you may start to experience some dryness soon. I remember wondering if it would ever happen, because I was really looking forward to being dry.

Yesterday, just for fun, I put one of those brown paper towels from a dispenser against my face. I used to do that several times a day while at work, and it would come away with a very wet imprint of my face. Yesterday, there was not a drop of oil on the towel anywhere! I don't have to wash or wipe my face at all during the day and it's still dry when the day is done. I really like that!

Best Wishes!

P&W

WEEK 4

40mg x 1 per day

DOSAGE UPDATE: Went to the Derm yesterday. Gonna bump me up to 40mg x 2 a day starting Friday (tomorrow). This dosage should dry the bejesus out of my face but I'm ready for it.

Now for the week in review:

What a great week!!! I can't believe how good my skin looks. My face is rarely oily. In fact, I don't even have to wipe/wash it off at all during the day anymore. I am starting to get a little dry. A few flakes here and there. But otherwise no major peeling.

My lips are chapped as hell. I scrub them with my toothbrush in the shower first thing in the moring. This seems to help with the peeling process. Gonna switch from Blistex to Aveeno lip balm this week. I'll let you all know how that works out.

Still using the other Aveeno products (wash/moist.). Have to moisturize heavy in the moring, otherwise I get a little flakey by lunch time.

That's it for now. Thanks for stopping by.

slmonkey2 (Tom)

WEEK 5

80mg (40mg tablets morning and night)

This was my first full week on 80mg a day. No new or old pimples on my face! The blackheads I have are disappearing rather quickly. I've been gently exfoliating every other day in the shower using a soft sponge that my wife bought me. This seems to help unplug the ones that are near the surface of the skin.

My face has become less oily, although, it depends upon how much Aveeno moisturizer I use. If I shave, then use alot in the morning my face becomes somewhat oily throughout the day. I have to rinse off once or twice to minimize the shine. But, if I don't use any moisturizer my face is fine for the day. This is hard because by not using any moisturizer my face is noticably dry, especially the corners of my mouth. So I'm trying to find the exact amount to use. This is definitely an ongoing experiment.

Side Effects:

Itch, itch, itch. I itch all over (hair, face, neck, upper arms, and upper back) during the day. I try not to scratch but it is a little unbearable at times.

Rash on upper arms. I'm not sure if my Aveeno moisurizer is causing extra irritation or not, but I have developed little red bumps on my upper arms that start to itch later on in the day. The red bumps themselves are hardly noticeable (my wife can't see them at all). I'll keep on using what I'm using for another week to see what happens.

All in all I'm very happy with the results. The 80mg is definitely drying my whole body out, which was the plan to begin with, so I don't mind a little itching and dryness every now and then.

On to next week.............

slmonkey2