Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darkcity

do-it-yourself blue light treatment

I hope it works for you. I am on blue light therapy for another medical condition. i sit with the light shining on my face for an hour every morning. I have done this since August. Sorry to say I have not seen any improvement in my acne at all.

It's not just the colour of the bulb, it's also the frequency, do these bulbs omit the same frequency etc as the bulbs used in the official lamps?

I'm interested to know more! :)

It's not just the colour of the bulb, it's also the frequency, do these bulbs omit the same frequency etc as the bulbs used in the official lamps?

It's not only the frequency, it's also the intensity.

What power (J/cm^2) is the bulb delivering to your skin? If it's not enough, then it's unlikely to give any visible effect. What wattage were you planning on using? The SCI/Art bulbs are 150W, and weigh a pound(!). I'm also vaguely concerned that the bulb you chose is a halogen. Halogen bulbs emit somewhat significant amounts of UV, and you would be sitting with your face full-on.

Also, what eye protection were you planning on using? Blue light is believed to cause long term eye damage. Closing your eyes would help, but probably wouldn't be sufficient.

It's not only the frequency, it's also the intensity.

What power (J/cm^2) is the bulb delivering to your skin? If it's not enough, then it's unlikely to give any visible effect. What wattage were you planning on using? The SCI/Art bulbs are 150W, and weigh a pound(!). I'm also vaguely concerned that the bulb you chose is a halogen. Halogen bulbs emit somewhat significant amounts of UV, and you would be sitting with your face full-on.

Also, what eye protection were you planning on using? Blue light is believed to cause long term eye damage. Closing your eyes would help, but probably wouldn't be sufficient.

maybe this is part of the reason using tanning beds can sometimes clear up acne [at least in the short run], aside from drying you out they also emit UV light, and UV light is very close to blue in the spectrum. maybe blue light is like tanning but less dangerous cause the wavelenght is slightly longer...anyhow let us know how it goes!

if you're concerned about your eyes, you could get some tanning goggles, they sell them all over. or at the very least, until you can get ahold of some goggles, use sunglasses and close your eyes.

maybe this is part of the reason using tanning beds can sometimes clear up acne [at least in the short run], aside from drying you out they also emit UV light, and UV light is very close to blue in the spectrum. maybe blue light is like tanning but less dangerous cause the wavelenght is slightly longer...

Yes, that's almost exactly right; and it was noticed that acne cleared up better with sunlight than with tanning lamps, and they eventually identified the blue light in sunlight as the reason; although UV works in the short-run too (in the long run acne seems to get worse that way).

shit, i wasn't expecting technical questions (!)

about all i can answer is that they are 50 watts and they have a UV filter over the front of the lamp.

they come in little boxes with little other technical info on them.

looks like i'm quite the labrat.

i would've preferred getting the real deal Sci/ART lamps or dermalux or whatever else is reputable, and i wouldn't have to pay much more, but living in Australia it's a bit hard to get my hands on that stuff (i've had multiple bad experiences shipping things from overseas, for those few retailers who do ship overseas). kaliszincolor (sp?) had a good website but they wouldn't answer my two emails about shipping.

by the way, as for progress, my girlfriend claims that my skin is slightly clearer. but this has nothing to do with the lamps...my acne comes in vicious cycles. just when my confidence is rebuilding, BOOM, fat cyst right on the nose!

by the way, as for progress, my girlfriend claims that my skin is slightly clearer. but this has nothing to do with the lamps...my acne comes in vicious cycles. just when my confidence is rebuilding, BOOM, fat cyst right on the nose!

You might notice a small improvement right away, but it takes ~2 months before you start going 'Yay! It works!', and atleast 3 months before your skin starts to max out on whatever gains you're going to get (~75% clearance, maybe more.)

You have to use it *every* day for 3 months.

My best guess is that you could try it for no more 5 minutes. If your face feels pleasantly dry, then it's probably working; otherwise progressively increase the time and then try it that way for a few days until it feels like that. If it goes red, you're way overdoing it; cut back on the time.

Of course we have no way to know for sure whether your bulbs are close enough to the right colour to work.

Anyway I've ordered a Sci/Art blue light. I'll try to work out whether it really is the right colour with some prisms and stuff. If that's successful, I may order one of yours too and compare.

sorry to anyone who's been following this topic, i'm a bit late with the monthly update. after the first month, not a huge difference. i took the "before" picture on one of my clearest days in a while, but since then i've had minor breakouts on and off. i've had some serious cysts but no widespread breakouts. i reduced the time to ten minutes a day two weeks ago. overall, i can't yet say that there's been any significant reduction in acne, but no increase either. the red "healing" light doesn't seem to work magic either. but i'll stick with it till the three month is over.

also, there were three random nights that i was too drunk to be bothered sitting in front of the lights. sorry i couldn't make the test as reliable as possible. be back next month.