Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nevermind

Accutane versus Rosacea

Finally managed to see a derm a few weeks ago, he prescribed me some roaccutane, seemed like a bit of a pill pusher. Told him my main concern was the big, red, oily lump of flesh that's covered in a thousand pores filled with shit that's sitting in the middle of my face. I usually have one or two pimples on the go, but i reckon most are caused by shaving anyway. He didn't really ask me any questions, just had a look close up, mentioned rosacea and said lets go ahead and try accutane. I said, what's up doc? You wanna go straight to the a-bomb? How bout some negotiating first, small arms at least? Isn't that shit for severe acne, you haven't even asked me what I've already tried mate. Given that his assistant weighed me and worked out the accutane dosage before he even come into the room I already knew this was one efficient bloke, so his response didn't surprise me... "lets give roaccutane a go Adam, I really thinks it's the best option at this point." After that absolutely unquestionable, highly convincing argument I turned into a timid little boy and agreed... I just wanna have a normal shnoz mate, whatever you think is best is fine with me.

So I walked out with a script for roaccutane and tonight, after a few weeks of procrastinating, swallowed my first pill. If I get scars from an innitial breakout I'm gonna stalk that guy and write scary messaged on his bedroom window at night, possibly in red lipstick. Other than the nose my skin is the best it's been in years at the moment, I still don't know if I've made the right decision.. time will tell.

What dosage are you on then? So roaccutane can clear up Rosacea quite well then? Sorry dont know much about it.

Wish ya luck with it. Accutane aint as half as scary as ppl make out btw lol

i was similar to you

my skin wasnt that bad but i was put on roaccutane and it got a lot worse

but now, after 2 weeks, its back to how it was before roaccutane

hopefully it's all uphill from here

20mg to start with, may increase to 40. Some derms prescribe low dose accutane over long periods, upwards of a year. But I don't think there have been any serious studies to prove wether or not that results in less sever side effects.

thanks for the well wishes. martin i'm glad your doing better and if I break out I'll hope to follow your lead. If I dont, watch you back my friend. :whistle:

:D

fuckin tane :pray:

DAY SEVEN

well, seven pills later and I've had my first nosebleed. can't remember the last time that happened. I've had a bit of a breakout on my chin and jawline and my lips are maybe a little dryer than usual. I've been putting BP on my chin, and even worse, yesterday I used one of those nose strips to get rid of some of the shit filling the pores on my nose. no signs of reduced oiliness or redness of the nose, and also too early to tell if my small acne problem is reduced. I think extra exfoliation was what got my face looking so good just before I started on tane, how much exfoliation is ok when your on this stuff?

overall, not much to say after week one.

:pray:

Bumped it up to 40mg today. Lips getting very dry, rash on the underside of my forearms. Besides one drying out pimple on the chine, there aint no active blemishes on my face. Getting a boil on my nose, friggin fourth one in last two years. Just can't help it though, when the pores on the shnoz fill up I gotta do something about it. Nose still red all over. Will try to get in to see the derm asap. Currently still exfoliating, but less than before.

Day 23

well, to give my progress a score out of ten i'd say it's three peaches and 2 rectangles short of a good footy field. meaning, ive got no clue how to rate my progress. skin is dry/peeling and flaky... i slap on buckets of moisuriser at night and wake up with a flaky face :evil: nose seems a little less red and may even be a little less oily during the day. no major outbreak despite many a beer being drunk over the last couple of weeks. I've been very tired for a while now, but dunno if it's the tane or the 4 hours of sleep ive been averaging, possibly a combo of the two. have missed a few tablets along the way. all i'm doing now is taking the tane, using shitloads of moisuriser (the resulting shiny face means never ending crap from my workmates) and every few days i exfoliate with either an electric toothbrush, a face scrub or rubbing hard with my fingers. nose has less plugs but many a blackhead. skin is basically clear, still procrastinating about getting an electric shaver. got my ass kicked on mario kart gp last night, but set a few records on time trial. had too many beers and bundy but drove home like yoshi on speed.

Sounds like you are being pretty hard on your skin physically.. remember that you get really REALLY fragile on this stuff and you risk scarring if you aren't really careful... I would ditch the BP except for the occasional spot treatment and DEFINITELY kick the electric toothbrush! I use an exfoliator once a week and that is pushing it, according to my derm. And definitely no pore strips! Those things suck anyway, and your pores will fill right back up within a day or so.

Just be careful! You're scaring me with all this talk of harshness to your face! :):lol:

hmm... if you smile and laugh when i scare you what would you do if i said something funny? I dont want to see you cry so I'll keep it nice and insipid. shame really. ;)

no more bp or strips for sure*, but I've gotta exfoliate every few days or.... or else. might ditch the toothbrush coz i hear you on the fragile skin business. i went snorkling last weekend and at some point was knocked into some rocks... ive got scabs up both forearms and my back.

*squeezed all the crap out of one side of my nose, four days later the red and raw look has subsided and all i see is skin, no clogged or enlarged pores. if it stays like that i'll flip my position faster than a politician can say "what i actually meant was".

well the corners of my mouth are cracking up, can't do anything about it and it aint funny! worked thirteen hours today, bloody tired. gonna watch Raging Bull now, should be good!

might have scared off TGrl, i was a little intoxicated. thats right i'm gonna blame the booz. works every time.

rash on the arms is worse. forgot to take the tane this morning. was gonna give some old cold sore cream a go for the corners of my mouth but couldn't find any, grrr. need to find a moisturiser that doesn't make me all shiny! bloody tired and my scabs aren't healing. have to spend $300 to keep my car on the road. life is good...

Day... 35?

good news first. my nose has zero ZERO! blackhead/plugs!!!!! wow it looks different. still red, and rediculously large, but a massive improvement and that makes me smile (on the inside, my real smile is too terrible to inflict upon anyone). my nose used to become very oily during the day and particularly when i got stressed physically or mentally... not anymore :D. good to have a shnoz covered in skin and not large blocked pores.

bad news. very flaky around that crease b/w the lower lip and chin. also the corners of my mouth are still no good. slather on the cream but a couple of hours later, or as soon as i eat, the flakes are back and the split in the corner opens up again. lips are under control. both forearms are pretty much covered in rash.

almost through my first box of pills. in two weeks i'll see the derm for the first time since starting treatment.

have spent nearly $150 on my bloody cat over the last fortnight. Is a cat's sight worth that much? he's 14, not long till death comes a knocking anyway. could have got a rippa of a dog for that much :evil:

Day 50'something

Nose still clear, but also still red. :| so I'm sort of ho hum at the moment. my face is clear with just the dry patches to annoy me now. well the shiny face resulting from my moisturiser is also a pain in the ass but I can live wit it. still have the rash on my arms, and now also have one on my neck, although that one is somewhat different. Not sure if they're caused by the tane or something else. Lips dry but manageable. Corners of mouth much better. Visited my derm the other day and he wants me to come back in 2 months. Reckons I should see some reduction is redness over that period. Looking at the photos he took back when I started and comparing them to now, it's night and day.

I recommend anyone with mild acne seriously consider tane. I tried many, many OTC treatments and all the fads on this site to no avail. Yes it's proly too early to call for sure, my results may be temporary, but still, nothing I have tried has ever worked this well for this long. Zero breakouts for a month.

Sorry you have the rash, hope that everything goes well for you. I would pay the money for my cat, I love him! He is only 8 though so quite the junior to your little feline! Have a great day.

yeah, forgot to mention. Monday put into perspective my troubles over the last few years. I relied on my cat more than anyone who knows me knew. On Monday my cat died. Tried to talk tough but tears were shed and still are. I feel more alone now than I ever have. He was the best mate that was always there. I work split shifts and come home during the day, how I hate coming home now. We buried him in the garden, saying final farewells while I silently cursed myself for neglect. I hope to fill the void with female companionship, but can't see it hapenning anytime soon.

Once decided, never delay euthenasia... natural death is not always calm and peaceful!

Bye Mork, miss ya :cry:

IPB Image

Day.... ?

Missed taking the tane for a few days a couple of weeks ago and when I started back up it was like I was starting all over again. The face got dry and flaky in the same spots as when I first began taking the drug. I'm just now getting back to where I was prior to this little slip up, which is pretty much clear and non flaky skin. Nose still red all the time and my entire face flushes red now, where before taking tane it was only my ears that flushed. Expect that to settle down after my course ends. Rash on arms still there.

So, if I'm anything to go by, try not to miss too many doses if your on tane.

In other news, I've had a bad cough for a week and am now taking antibiotics for a throat infection. My right ribs are soo bloody sore it's agony every time I cough, which is all the fucken time.

Accutane Vs Mild Acne ------> Accutane wins with a 2nd round KO

Accutane V Rosacea ------> too early to call

Good to hear it's going ok, hope it helps the rosacea, look on the brightside, it doesn't look like this does it?

IPB Image

or does it..? :P

You kitty was so beautiful! I almost cried myself reading your post as I am looking at my kitty who witht he upmost dedication sits on my lap every day as I log. He is almost 9 now and I know his day will be here and I dread it. We have a special bond and my bf gets jealous because I give Dakota, my cat, so much attention! If you were to read my log, you would see my cat mentioned multiple times, he pukes alot. Good luck to you and glad you are seeing improvements!!!

Have a great day!

Taren

Thanks Taren. Still miss the little rascal, sometimes more than others. He'd sit on my lap while I cruised the net, follow me around outside in the garden and was the only face I could look into without any self conciousness during my worst times with acne. I've been sick at home a bit lately and have really missed havin him around. It's gets better tho. I can have a good smile now when looking at pics of Mork. Hope Dakota sticks around a while more yet.