Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Craj

new to board - concerned

hi. i'm new to the board. i have read in a few places recently that lemon juice is really good to apply to your affected skin, as well as good to drink. do people have any experiences with this? does it help? how long does it take to clear? I have been applying lemon to my face for two days and have noticed mild improvement, but I'm really not too sure...I'm 21 and have mild acne/clogged poors and red marks on either side of my nose that seems to have flared up in the last month or two. Today my dcotor prescribed me differin cream but I am worried because I have read some pretty negative reviews. He told me it should clear up in a "week or two". Does this sound right? I was wondering if using this cream as prescribed, combined with one or twice a day applying lemon juice to my face for 15 minutes, plus drinking lemon juice, using cetaphil facial cleanser and cetaphil moisturizer would be a good way to go? I thought I was over acne being a lifestyle problem (after affecting me since 12) a year ago, but this year it has been gradually getting worse and ruining things. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding this?

Hello,

Welcome to the board! I have had a Differine treatment too (associated with Benzoyle Peroxyde) and it worked quite well and was not too harsh though it took much longer than 2 weeks. A week or two seems to be a bit optimistic but I'm not a doctor and if I remember well the medication has different concentrations. Regarding the lemon juice, why don't you stick to your treament to start with? I would suggest that you speak to your doctor to have his or her opinion to be on the safe side. I suppose you can drink it mixed with water. It's delicious and refreshing and full of vit C but on your skin I doubt it'd be of any benefit. It is very agressive... Good luck!

Craj, try this, it seems to have worked for a lot of people:

Wash your face with a very gentle face wash (cetaphil is good).

Dry it off, and next you are going to mix baking soda with water, not too much water, but make a paste with it. Then gently rub that on your face, that will exfoliate. Open your pores and stuff.

Next you mix vinegar with water, 1 part vinegar, 8 parts water. So if you did a spoonful of vinegar, do 8 spoonfuls of water, in a small cup. Then apply that to your face (it's gonna smell bad, but trust me). If you notice after you rinse it off, your face is completely smooth.

Then you put acne cream on (again, cetaphil is a good idea because it is gentle).

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=35135

There's a link to the person who I originally learned this from, for more details. She has had a lot of success with it and so have a lot of people who have tried it.

Well you know my sister gave me this tip and I thought it was not going to work but it did... mmmm try to put contraceptive pills in your liquid soap or cleanser (in about two hours they will have spread in the product) and wash your face as usual... mmm if it worked on me I'm more than sure that it will work on anyone...

Well you know my sister gave me this tip and I thought it was not going to work but it did... mmmm try to put contraceptive pills in your liquid soap or cleanser (in about two hours they will have spread in the product) and wash your face as usual... mmm if it worked on me I'm more than sure that it will work on anyone...

Birth control is too expensive (at up to a couple dollars a pill) to do that! I seriously bet aspirin would have the same effect, and would be a lot cheaper.

That's a new one. What on earth is the line of reasoning behind it?

Ok, firstly, thanks a lot for the replies. Um...so do you think I should give leave differin alone for now? I haven't liked the reviews I've been reading for it so far. My bad skin is consigned to the T-Zone, where I have blocked pores and some red marks. My skin is pretty dry. I'm really worried differin will set my face off and turn out terrible, something I really don't want as I haven't had acne like that since I was 14 (now 21). I think my face has built up dead skin cells and blocked poors over the past year and now has that look about it...I'm thinking I might try that facial thing with the baking soda and stuff that was mentioned earlier.

hey, me again. i did that stuff with baking soda and then the vinegar. the marks on my face went really red for a while and i was kinda worried, so i took a nap for two hours and just woke up. the redness is gone and i gotta say, my skin looks better than it has for weeks. already. i hope this isn't just my wishful thinking kicking in, but it looks kinda incredible...like i was saying, my skin has just become clogged with dead skin, acne marks and clogged poors over the past six months or so. maybe it just needed some proper exfoliation and care? i have to go to work soon then when i come back i'll do the egg and lemon thing before bed. i'll give another update in the morning but i am excited... (gotta bare in mind i get excited with every new thing i try that i convince myself 'works'...)

Differin will help clear your pores from the inside out; exfoliation will keep them from being blocked on the outside while the Differin purges them clear. Personally, I'd try to figure out some way of using both.

so im about to go to bed after day 2 on this regimen suggested above with the baking soder and stuff. i read the first 30 pages or so of the forum that originated from and it seemed to recieve generally positive feedback, but im wondering since that thread is over a year old, if there are people around on the board who continued with that treatment and what it did? does it really work as well as is being made out once the dust has settled a bit?

oh and thanks for your input queen of the hills. i'm really hoping to keep away from the differin if i can. im worried by the reviews i have read

I've been doing it for about a week now and I've noticed very good improvement for it being that little of time. I say at least give it a week or so. Good luck to you, I hope it works out.

Hey, I'm really worried because nothing much has happened. I keep convincing myself it is improving, but I'm not sure it is. My skin is really weird and I think I need to see a dermatologist to sort it out. I first got bad acne at 13, starting using a BP cream and some pills (don't think Accutane, but not sure) and controlled it. I stopped using those things at like 14 or 15 and have since tended to use Clearasil/Soap or whatever, without too much concern. My skin never broke out in that time, but was never "perfect" either. It didn't really worry me though. Over the past 12 months I have regularly been getting one or two pustules, treating them and then having another one emerge a week or so later. It wasn't severe, but enough to be annoying. These were all tending to leave red marks that seemed to go away in time. Over Christmas I was sunburned pretty badly on a few different occasions and since then my skin has been worrying. I have only had two big pustules in that time (one of which I have now) but clogged pores and a number of red marks/scars have emerged. It doesn't look like pimples as I am used to, but just red irritations. The doctor told me I had clogged pores and prescribed me Differin but after reading all of the negative reviews I was scared to try it and instead tried Delna's regimen, which I have been using for the past week. I really had convinced myself that it was working but am now not so sure. The red marks are still there, though may be lightening. I'm so sick of this. This isn't like the acne I have been used to. Tonight I put Differin on after the egg white mask. A mistake?

I'm so sick of this and I don't know what to do, it is really depressing me...

Oh, I read somewhere that Differin works best for mild-moderate acne (like mine) and is good for reducing red marks. Is this true? Should I keep using Delna's regimen with BP Cream in the day and Differin at night? I don't know much about this stuff. I've been reading this site over the last few days and am just finding myself confused, depressed and scared. Thanks for any replies.

Differin does work against clogged pores. It is not generally considered to be as effective as Retin A, but it is less irritating to your skin.

When you read reviews here, there is something you have to consider. Many of the kids on this board know very little about the medications they are prescribed. Many of them are so anxious to deal with their acne, they don't bother with directions and precautions. Topicals like Differin, which have a powerful active ingredient, need to be used properly: otherwise they will irritate your skin. People who don't use them properly have bad results.

So, first of all: read the directions. You might also try Googling Differin and see what you can find out about it.

Here are a few suggestions for use:

-- Ease into it. Apply it once every other day at first, after cleansing: your skin should be clean and dry. If you see any irritation, stop and let your skin go back to normal before using it again. Gradually increase usage to once a day.

-- Start wearing sunscreen every day. Neutrogena Healthy Skin with SPF 15 is supposed to be pretty good. I use Calmin, which is for extremely sensitive skin. I have to order it from the UK, but it's worth it.

-- Start researching exfoliation methods. The two main side effects of Differin are peeling, flaking skin and an initial breakout as your pores purge themselves. Gentle exfoliation (and I mean GENTLE) can help with both. I use the "synthetic brush exfoliation" method as described in the OTC thread because I don't like using too many active ingredients at once; manual exfoliation is easier to control.

-- If the initial breakout starts getting severe, call your derm and get a prescription for an oral (and perhaps a topical) antibiotic to get you through it. Don't risk scarring. If your acne is mostly clogged pores, the purging shouldn't be too bad, but you never know.

-- You should see good results in 3-4 months. If you aren't satisfied at that point, go back to the derm.

The peeling and purging happen because your skin cells are renewing themselves so much faster; they turn over in 5-6 days rather than 30-35. This means you have dead skin flaking off at the surface and old dead skin cells and dried sebum being forced out of the pores. All of this is a good thing, although it's rather difficult to appreciate it at the time. :)

thanks a lot for your reply. i like using the bakinda soda/ACV method of delna's. it feels good on the skin anyway. is that good as an exfoliation type thing do you think? i'm thinking i will stick with that in the mornings with my 5% BP and just do a cetaphil wash at night and apply the differin. does that sound like it might be ok?

p.s. sorry for all the clueless questions, i thought i was over acne being a problem years ago...it's not something, obviously, i want to be dealing with now...

oh. also, i think i'm going to start taking the B5 in those stupidly large quantities i've been reading about. will that help as well?

i like using the bakinda soda/ACV method of delna's. it feels good on the skin anyway. is that good as an exfoliation type thing do you think? i'm thinking i will stick with that in the mornings with my 5% BP and just do a cetaphil wash at night and apply the differin. does that sound like it might be ok?

oh. also, i think i'm going to start taking the B5 in those stupidly large quantities i've been reading about. will that help as well?

Yes, the baking soda/ACV combo is one way to exfoliate. But please be very very gentle with your skin; it is going to be much more tender and sensitive once you start using the Differin. Don't scrub it. It won't be happy.

Cetaphil sounds good.

I don't really know what to say about the 5% BP. It sounds like it could be a bit too strong ... but as long as your skin isn't getting irritated, I guess it's OK. I'd back off from it if you start getting too red and dry, though! What if you just used it as a spot treatment?

B5 ... I really know nothing. Seems to work for some people, not for others; some get side effects, some don't.

Good luck with all this ... and don't get frustrated, everyone has to experiment a bit to figure out what works for them. It has really helped me to keep a regimen log.

OK thanks a lot. I'll stick with that as a daily method for a while and see what happens...

Cheers

well interesting stuff today...i went back to the doctor who two weeks ago prescribed me differin. today he told me that my skin condition "does not look like acne to me." umm...it did to him two weeks ago though. which confused me then and is confusing me now. so i have an appointment to see a dermatologist in 5 Weeks. What am I going to do until then? I tried asking this doctor and he seemed in a rush to get me out, working for his money not seeming to be on his agenda...he mumbled something about continuing with the differin, but if it isn't acne, why would i bother with that? i'm so totally confused now. my skin feels dry and irritated and my pores all seem red and sore. for tonight i'm gonna stick with cetaphil wash and cetaphil moisturizer and maybe go talk to a pharmacist tomorrow. i guess i'll persist with the Vitamin B5 and Zinc Tablets.

thank god there was a cancellation at the dermatologist today and i got in. turns out i have Seborrheic Dermatitis, a common fungul skin problem. Unfortunately the doctor didn't pick that up weeks. Two different doctors missed it...i explained the symptoms, explained that i definitely didn't think it was acne. sorry to anyone who bothers to read this, it's just an annoyed rant. two weeks and i should be fine :dance:

um...thanks to your replies to my desperate emails and i hope all goes well for everyone with their acne regimens. i used delna's regimen for over a week and while it didn't (obviously) clear the dermatitis, it did make me skin feel good and treated my blackheads properly, so when i am finished with my treatment i will continue to use it once or twice a week. i've learned a lot about skin care and stuff i can do to prevent/treat any acne breakouts i do have in the future (and i do have them). hopefully this treatmen works and i can go back to normal. this thread is a great example of acne misdiagnosis. ciao.