Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdub4

new to board, moderate acne

Hello, I am a 17 year old male(almost 18), and I would say I have moderate acne, although it fluctuates so much i would say at its best its between mild and moderate but then the next day it might be close to severe for a week. I went to the dermatologist 3 years ago, and he put me on duac/differin from which i have only seen minor minor changes and it just doesnt really do anything, and I am an idiot for suffering for so long and I am now about to explode cause I am so tired of worrying about it every single day all day. It affects all aspects of my life, and I dont need to harp on that fact because I am sure almost everyone on this board knows that and a lot of you have it a lot worse than me. However, I have now made a new appointment for next tuesday the 28th of february, and was wondering what kind of things I should expect to hear/get from my doctor. I realize it is probably too early for accutane, and I should try atleast one more thing that the doctor suggests before I ask or request trying accutane. Just want to know what you guys think, I will try to get pics up later tonight.

Retin A is stronger than differin, although more irritating to your skin. It would be most effective combined with the duac or another topical antibiotic plus a short course of oral antibiotics.

well i went to the derm today, he has put me on Keflex which I haven't heard much about in the way of acne treatment but hes a really good derm so I think he knows what hes doing. He said to continue the differin/duac and i go back in 2 1/2 months. If this doesnt help much what do you think he will do next? I haven't talked to him at all about accutane so i do not know his view on that but after oral AB and creams there isnt much else is there?

I hadn't heard of Keflex either so I googled it:

Cephalexin belongs to a class of antibiotics called cephalosporins. They are similar to penicillin in action and side effects. They stop or slow the growth of bacterial cells by preventing bacteria from forming the cell wall that surrounds each cell. The cell wall protects bacteria from the external environment and keeps the contents of the cell together. Without a cell wall bacteria are not able to survive. Bacteria that are susceptible to cephalexin include Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae, E. coli and several others.

Including P.acnes, I assume!

Anyway ... this regimen should clear you up nicely. If it doesn't, there's a chance your derm will want you to try a different oral antibiotic before he prescribes Accutane.

ill keep ya updated on how everything goes, i dont expect to see many results until several weeks or more. Luckily my upper back has gotten where he says its worse than my face, which definitely isnt horrible but i have quite a few cysts on my back and a few one my face so this might aid in getting a stronger medicine later on, compared to if i only had the facial acne. Hopefully I see significant improvements with the oral antibiotic though, i have a little hope which is always good.

im really hoping i will see improvements with the oral antibiotic, but if not do you think my derm would really keep trying other orals?