Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mamascarface

Anyone ever hear someone make rude comment about your scars?

This happenes to me every now and again.

I was in target today and three young guys walked by and one says "man,right there is one reason not to do crack!" Argh! I try not to let stuff like that bother me but it still hurts. I also wonder if maybe people think my scars are actually from doing crack? I know that happens sometimes. The worst part is that I am really prude when it comes to drugs or anything like that,my scars are from acne.

I am sure that today won't be the last shitty comment I get about my face.

I was wondering if I am the only one who has to cope w/this?

I know how you feel. It has been about 8 years ago since I have heard any kind of rude comment. But these are some that I have experienced in the past.....my younger brother once told me that one of his friends told him "your sister is hot...too bad she has all those holes in her face". Another one I heard was once while walking into a room full of people someone made the comment..."hey, its scarface". I am twenty eight now, and these comments were made when I was around 19-20.

This happenes to me every now and again.

I was in target today and three young guys walked by and one says "man,right there is one reason not to do crack!" Argh! I try not to let stuff like that bother me but it still hurts. I also wonder if maybe people think my scars are actually from doing crack? I know that happens sometimes. The worst part is that I am really prude when it comes to drugs or anything like that,my scars are from acne.

I am sure that today won't be the last shitty comment I get about my face.

I was wondering if I am the only one who has to cope w/this?

I've had little kids point to me and ask their moms (loudly), "what's wrong with her face?"

Very embarassing, for me and the mom!

Well that is just terrible all the way around. I am constantly disappointed in the realization that there are a lot of twits roaming the earth. I could say something like, "don't let it get you down", but I know how hurtful those kinds of comments can be.

When someone says something horrid like that to you, just picture the comment in your mind and cross a big red X through it. Refuse to internalize it and let it take root in your mind. I'm in the process of my own cerebral pruning..lol.

Aside from that my mother once called me scarface :angry: and a guy I dated while in high school (pre scar treatment) saw me without makeup once and said, "wow you really do have some acne scars." He was a real charmer. :xxx:

Hang in there, even though it is tough...there are ppl who understand and care. :wub:

I am sad that you know what I am talking about.

It is nearly impossible to forget.

I am 33 and I think I could write a booklet. I actually confronted a woman once. I was in applebees and I went into the restroom. I went into a stall and one woman said to another"did you see her face! I have never seen someone with worse skin!" They went out of the restroom-It was a VERY good thing that they did. I decided to find them if they were still there. I walked up to their table and I told the woman-"You have absoutely NO manners at ALL. "I heard what said about my face and that comment was uncalled for" I stormed out w/my very confused dad and my baby on my hip. Would you believe that the person with that lady had the nerver to follow me out to my truck -get between me and my SUV and tell me that I should not have spoken to her aunt in that tone because she has MS and she did not know what she was saying! What ever! My Dad told me that MS is not an excuse for being rude-people are nuts!

I am sad that you know what I am talking about.

It is nearly impossible to forget.

I am 33 and I think I could write a booklet. I actually confronted a woman once. I was in applebees and I went into the restroom. I went into a stall and one woman said to another"did you see her face! I have never seen someone with worse skin!" They went out of the restroom-It was a VERY good thing that they did. I decided to find them if they were still there. I walked up to their table and I told the woman-"You have absoutely NO manners at ALL. "I heard what said about my face and that comment was uncalled for" I stormed out w/my very confused dad and my baby on my hip. Would you believe that the person with that lady had the nerver to follow me out to my truck -get between me and my SUV and tell me that I should not have spoken to her aunt in that tone because she has MS and she did not know what she was saying! What ever! My Dad told me that MS is not an excuse for being rude-people are nuts!

You're right....that IS crazy!

I'm so sorry you have been subject to that......please know that you are not alone and that you can vent here anytime. There aren't really any words that can help your pain or the embarassment caused by people who are sadistic and cruel.....but we do understand and are here to hear you in your pain....we understand..... :wub:

I recall a thread several months ago which alledged men have it worse when they are covered with acne scars. I've always believed otherwise, and this thread sort of proves my point. Women are VERY harsh to one another. In addition, the expectation of women is for them to have smooth as silk skin. The guy to girl acne scar ratio, and I have no evidence for this--just observations--is probably 4-1. For a women to have acne scars is much more noticeable.

Personally, I've never heard comments to my face relating to acne scars. My friend has MUCH worse acne scars than me and he pulls in women like no ones business.

I'm not intending to damper the confidence of women, I just noticed how the women on this board are reporting their comments. And yes, I realize men probably hear it as well. Not completely ignoring them.

One of the reasons I get away with people not saying anything within my earshot is the fact that I am super shy and nice to people. Otherwise, I do beleive people have made comments about my face when I am not around, mostly because of my awkwardness around people in the first place, putting scars aside. I'm a girl, and scarring just isn't acceptable to the majority I guess.

Ive only had comments on my acne when it was there, and when someone was trying to be cruel, i.e. stupid bitches. I did have an ex say (when I did not have makeup) Wow your pores are big, and why couldnt I do something about it. LIKE HE DID SEE ME WASH MY FACE ALL THE FREAKIN TIME! That's what kills me about my skin too, I wash my skin more than anyone else, especially then. My daughter used to call my acne chicken pox. Atleast she was honest and said I was still pretty, but she hoped she didn't have chicken pox when she grows up. I told her I hope she doesn't either, and I really really hope she doesn't.

One of the most esteem-shattering moments in my life occured a couple years ago when I ran into my first boyfriend after not seeing him for a few years. My acne flared up for a year after we broke up, and left some pretty bad scars. So when he saw me after a few years, he looked at me and exclaimed, "what happened to your face! did you fall in some rose bushes?" Now I'm always afraid to run into people or friends I haven't seen in a long time. Scarring can be so crippling.

One of the most esteem-shattering moments in my life occured a couple years ago when I ran into my first boyfriend after not seeing him for a few years. My acne flared up for a year after we broke up, and left some pretty bad scars. So when he saw me after a few years, he looked at me and exclaimed, "what happened to your face! did you fall in some rose bushes?" Now I'm always afraid to run into people or friends I haven't seen in a long time. Scarring can be so crippling.

OMG this is exactly why avoid meeting up with friends i know from before I had skin problems. :(

Beleive it or not, but I think some ice picks or box cars can even be hot on girls and they never bothered me.

Rolling scars and intensive scaring that destroys skin texture and makes you older are a downer, though.

But I can´t remember to have ever seen a woman with "truly ugly" scaring in reality/person to person.

Bleeching your teeth, well done hair, clothes are alot more important than scars. Imo even skin tone is alot more important than moderate scars.

IPB Image

This is extensive scaring for a woman and it would never bother me.

I think when people mock you because of your scaring - in most cases you could take it as a compliment, because people havent found anything more important.

Well I had heard MANY MANY....

Things from friends could be like... "Your face is like the moon surface", "You should use some sand paper to rub your face", "you have alot of holes on your face".

Had girls on street commenting on my face. Had girls purposely walk beside me to stare at it... And most of the time have people talking to me and yet point or feel their fingers on their face.

I believe I have nice features... if not for the scars I probably be married now... girls would turn me away right before knowing me after seeing my scars.

There are times where I cried on my bed....Trust me if I am weak I probably commit suicide... But all these serve as a stimulus... I treated them as detractors to encourage me to do the best to revise my face and improve them. I prayed everynight for God to change me so as one day I will change and prove to them I too can become confident... As I begin the treatment, slowly I find ways and hope to deal with it step by step. I believe slowly but sure I can improve it in the most a year or two. And thank Goodness for this board for hope, encouragement from other sufferers and the exchange of ideals which is VERY important. Things which I would never had totally understand and tried example TCA Cross, Fraxel and others...

I think I would be a different person if it wern't for my scars or acne and I don't know what it would be, but I am happy now, and I know my fiance loves me for me, without a doubt. I know everyone has a match, and if you want people to judge you for who you are, not just souly on your appearance, you need to do the same when you are looking for someone to love and spend your time with, as far as relationships go. Assholes are assholes though, no matter which way you cut it, some people will find something to hurt you with.

It's KARMA. My brother used to make fun of my acne 24/7. Now that I don't have acne, his face is full blown with the stuff. Too bad I'm such a nice person. I don't judge ppl by the way they look.

person23...Thank god that have the rest of the package going for me. I have a nice figure, good personality, nice hair...blah, blah, blah. I also have dated very nice men, but however, my acne scars get the best of me. The comments that have been made to me in the past haunt me every day. if I could get my scars removed, I would be one happy camper! This picture I attached is me from a distance...not too bad. But, get me in a certain lighting or up close..watch out!!!

person23, I've seen much worse scarring on women than that. It can get pretty intense. Mines are a lot more red and distributed and I'd say a slight deeper than those on the pic, but no matter what the severity unless you are talking microscope, scarring can have a big impact on someones personality, men or women.

This is extensive scaring for a woman and it would never bother me.

Looks good to me. Her cheek looks a lot like Peter Sarsgaard's (actor from Garden State, Jarhead, etc.) and nobody seems to notice his scarring. I didn't even realize until I noticed it in Kinsey the other day when the light was directly behind him. My own bother me from time to time, but they never seem to bother anybody else. I've been pretty popular with the women since I was 12 or so and nothing's changed, and I'm willing to admit that it isn't my personality because I'm not a particularly nice or humble person.

That said, I'd still love to have smoother skin. But it doesn't really matter. I'm so outspoken and have a really strong, probably even imposing personality, and that defines me way more than my looks do. People remember me for what I do and say; not for my face.

When I had my one major outbreak my junior year of highschool, though, I was utterly disfigured for a good three months. My acne was worse than anything I've ever seen, in person or in picture (nothing I've seen here even comes close). Thankfully, it only lasted about two months and I haven't broken out since, and I never really had before, either, or I'd probably be scarred a lot worse than I am. I heard things from time to time then, but I really couldn't blame anybody. They weren't being mean; they were just in awe. I looked like I had the flesh-eating disease.

I think I would be a different person if it wern't for my scars or acne and I don't know what it would be

I have always thought i would be a completely different person if acne and acne scars hadn't destroyed my personality and self steem since my early teens. What kind of person would i be? I will never know.

I being reading from the thread and hence agreed, personally IMO I think the acne scar had definitely shattered most our esteem, humbled us and mould us into someone with good personality, looking at people differently and deeper compared to those who are scarless and too highly exalted. Sometime I think that its God who wanted me to go through these... so as to become a much better person... Nevertheless I had not stop treating my scars and never shall we cease to beautify ourselves... I believe after our treatments, after my TCA crosses and Fraxel... When we are normal again (at least close to it).... we will be the better of Man... Person of beauty and personalities. Such day will come... slowly but surely!

I know kids can be kids but the sad thing is that they are always honest. I was at my ex-boyfriends house over the summer and we were all sitting outside and is son(who is 4) said what are those pokey in things on your face. I could have died becasue his whole family was sitting out there with us. Damn sunlight!!!

Hey Mosebar - I am not sure that the Bill Murray look-alike comment has to do with scars. I didn't realize that Bill had any until it was brought up in this forum. I have been watching his movies for 20 years now.

I was suprised how much responce this post has gotten. It could be said that I would be a different person w/o the scars and who knows what my life would be like if I had have taken the accutane. I am not sure why I did not anyway,Maybe we are all better people for it.

My husband gets really angry when I tell him about the comments-he always tells me that I should confront people but he does not understand that what I want to do is run away and hide,cry and never go out in public again. I am thankful for all of you replying-it made a big difference in my reaction. I did not shed a tear yesterday. My husband Thanks you too!

Maybe someday I will take the big step and try dermabrasion-I am on the verge of doing something about it. Oh,I almost for got that the drug that causes scars is not crack but meth. I don't know why I wanted to add that.