Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuperFly

AGH! **** THIS!

im so sick of this damn regimen! it takes 2 hours of every damn day away from me and costs me so much with all the bp i use! it's not even ****ing helping! i've been doing it flawlessly for 3 ****ing months now and i look worse than ever! it was my bday yesterday and you know what my parents bought me? acne medication. that says to me that other people notice i look like ****. why the hell didn't this regimen work? i put all my faith into it, sunk about $300 for all the products, i followed it to the t. i had very very mild acne at the start, 1, maybe 2 little white heads at a time, adn right now i have 3 papules and 3 whiteheads on my face, making me so ****ing ugly i think "ewwww, ugly" when i look in the mirror. alksdfja9sdp87f09asd87f980asdf7

****ing hell i'm so depressed right now. my mom bought me clean and clear wash with SA, treatment with SA, and moist with SA thinking she could help me. god i love her. she has no clue how many products ive already tried. but it didnt matter cause the ****ing regimen was going to cure me. it's always "once i can get over these zits ill be clear for sure" but then right when im almost clear more pop right up! i don't know what im going to do right now. i have 5 tubes of BP, but i dunno if im going to keep going. ive given up hope of ever looking good or being able to make eye contact or speak to a girl. maybe ill drop all treatment altogether. maybe ill try this SA combo. **** this is the lowest ive ever felt. i post on this forum repeating the little tips dan and the mods give, trying to help the noobies because i knew that this regimen was the one that actually worked, and i've seen results on people with acne 100x worse than mine. it took 3 days for the regimen to completely clear my skin when i started, but now im a hideous mess. jesus i don't know what to do now.

im sorry for this post everyone.

i don't know how to reply really.

i started off nov. 26.

dec. 13, i ran into big trouble, then sorta cleared, then jan 4th, i ran into trouble again. after a few weeks, i cleared up. it's currently feb 22 and i'm currently pretty clear. i too thought that the reg sucked during the two periods, but i guess it just eventually worked for me.

i'm using: neutrogena 2.5% bp, london drugs knockoff cleanser (cetaphil knockoff) and cetaphil moisturizer with spf 15. only 3 products.

but i've also been drinkin lots of water

Ok, let's figure it out. First of all, how severe is your acne? The regimen is for mild to moderate acne. When I had severe acne, especially on my back and body, accutane was my only recourse really and it did a great job in the short term on my face and in the long term on my body.

Second, please read http://www.acne.org/biggestmistakes.html and http://www.acne.org/faq.html#notworking and comment on each thing you read. Almost everyone I have personally coached through the regimen who thinks they're on it actually isn't really. For instance, when you say it takes you 2 hours that concerns me. If you're doing the regimen on this site it shouldn't take that long. Have you watched the videos and stuff? http://www.acne.org/video.html

Ok, I'll let you respond. I totally understand your frustration though. Having acne sucks, but don't worry, you don't have to live with it. There are options out there if and when you've given the regimen a full shot and it doesn't do it for your acne.

i've seen each of those links dozens of times, watched the videos over and over, and i assure you, i was doing the regimen right. as i said when i started 3 months ago, my acne was already what most of you would call non existant, but yet it bothered me a ton because it stood out. i was clear in 3-4 days completely, but then i had a breakout. ever since then i've been fighting a battle against breakout after breakout, and every single time i get clear, within 1 day im onto the next breakout. 2 days ago i had 1 papule on my forehead, and was sure that once that went down i would be clear. yesterday i found 2 more under the skin and out went 3/4 of any hope i had. today i have 2 more and 2 ugly white heads. i can't go to school tomorrow. i have no more strength to keep going through the day like this. im done. broken.

i first wash my hands. then i splash luke warm water on my face to get it wet. i then use cetaphil cleanser and very gently do a quick rub of my face, taking about 8 seconds. i then rinse off the same way you do in the video and gently pat dry with a clean towel. 3 minutes

wait 10 minutes

i wash my hands againi then apply a full thick finger of bp. i use about 2/3 the finger for the area around my mouth and the last 1/3 for my forehead. i use the same rubbing technique you do in the videos, and it takes about 10 minutes to get it all absorbed nicely.

wait 15 minutes

i wash my hands yet again. if it's morning, i mix aha moisturizer with cetaphil and gently massage it into my face. i have to use so much moisturizer to keep the flakiness down, so it takes about 10 minutes for it to fully absorb.

okay, about 50 minutes in the morning and 50 at night. i've been doing it for 3 months. i've been applying stuff to my face for a total of 150 hours, or over 6 straight days. i look worse than ever.

Man, I wish I could watch you do the regimen. A couple of thoughts/suggestions:

- you use the word "rub" which might just be a word you're using, but it makes me think you're being too harsh perhaps? I avoid rubbing and always just let the stuff absorb itself. I more glide it around and I can hardly feel my hands as I go.

- 10 minutes is way long. If you watch the videos I take about 3 or so to apply bp and same with moisturizer. I wonder why it's taking you so long. I worry that 10 minutes is causing a lot of unnecessary irritation. This is very likely a big part of your problem.

- you are talking about needing "so much" moisturizer. Again, that's requiring another 10 minutes, and lots of skin contact. See if you can get some Eucerin Skin Renewal instead. It is so much better that you'll need less and it'll take far less time.

- there is a possibility that your skin started getting more and more severe acne at the same time that you decided to start the regimen. If your acne is deeply hormonal sometimes topical treatment doesn't help a ton. Are you getting any acne on your body these days?

I am totally willing to watch you do the regimen if you can take a video of you doing it and email it over. This scenario frustrates me because I bet we can get it to work but I want to see you doing it. I can tell you for a fact right now though that I would never let one of the people I personally coach take 10 minutes to do each part. That's way too much skin contact.

im so sick of this damn regimen! it takes 2 hours of every damn day away from me and costs me so much with all the bp i use! it's not even ****ing helping! i've been doing it flawlessly for 3 ****ing months now and i look worse than ever! it was my bday yesterday and you know what my parents bought me? acne medication. that says to me that other people notice i look like ****. why the hell didn't this regimen work? i put all my faith into it, sunk about $300 for all the products, i followed it to the t. i had very very mild acne at the start, 1, maybe 2 little white heads at a time, adn right now i have 3 papules and 3 whiteheads on my face, making me so ****ing ugly i think "ewwww, ugly" when i look in the mirror. alksdfja9sdp87f09asd87f980asdf7

Not to question your suffering or anything, but how on earth have you spent $300 for three months worth of regimen products? I like the regimen because it's considerably cheaper than other skin clearing options like Proactiv kits or prescription medications. I spend under $20/month on my face wash, lotion, and BP including shipping.

Are you perhaps using too much BP to the point where it has irritated your skin if you are going through it so quickly? I go through one tube in about four weeks, and that's using a full finger of BP twice a day. The reason why Dan recommends a 2.5% BP is because you need to use a lot for good results, but a higher concentration causes too much irritation. I imagine that overdoing a 2.5% BP would have the same effect as using a higher concentration: lots of irritation and perhaps even more breakouts than there were before. You said that you're using 2/3 of a finger for around your mouth--maybe you should spread it out more? That's my problem area, too, but I still distribute the BP evenly on my face, so I probably only use 1/3 of a finger around my mouth.

Man, I wish I could watch you do the regimen. A couple of thoughts/suggestions:

- you use the word "rub" which might just be a word you're using, but it makes me think you're being too harsh perhaps? I avoid rubbing and always just let the stuff absorb itself. I more glide it around and I can hardly feel my hands as I go.

- 10 minutes is way long. If you watch the videos I take about 3 or so to apply bp and same with moisturizer. I wonder why it's taking you so long. I worry that 10 minutes is causing a lot of unnecessary irritation. This is very likely a big part of your problem.

- you are talking about needing "so much" moisturizer. Again, that's requiring another 10 minutes, and lots of skin contact. See if you can get some Eucerin Skin Renewal instead. It is so much better that you'll need less and it'll take far less time.

- there is a possibility that your skin started getting more and more severe acne at the same time that you decided to start the regimen. If your acne is deeply hormonal sometimes topical treatment doesn't help a ton. Are you getting any acne on your body these days?

I am totally willing to watch you do the regimen if you can take a video of you doing it and email it over. This scenario frustrates me because I bet we can get it to work but I want to see you doing it. I can tell you for a fact right now though that I would never let one of the people I personally coach take 10 minutes to do each part. That's way too much skin contact.

Dan , can I ask how in the world can it only take you 3 mins to rub this in? When I was on your gel, it used to take me up 20 - 35 mins to rub it in fully to the point where I cant glide my fingers across my face anymore (this is rubbing normally too, not as gently as I should due to frustration).

I have watched your videos , but I have poor eyesight, so I was wondering is the BP completely dry on the video when you have finished? can you give a percentage of how dry it is? thanks.

i understand rubbing the bp in, in the morning because you have to face the world. but at night what works for me is i use finger full of bp and put it on generously and do not rub at all. takes all of 30 seconds. wait about 5 minutes and put the moisturizer on. then i spot bp on any active pimples over top of the moisturizer. i have gone from about 20 to 3 active pimples in 4 weeks. the new pimples are also just whiteheads and not big and sore like they used to be and they clear in a day or two.

in the morning i use far less bp and it dries quickly no rubbing.

i also never ever touch my face during the day.

try that.

and good luck, i understand your frustrations. been there. done that. but this... but this CSR is the first thing that has ever worked for me.

there is a possibility that your skin started getting more and more severe acne at the same time that you decided to start the regimen.

That's what I was thinking...maybe a trip to the derm. would help?

Maybe your acne was already on it's way to getting worse and it just coincided with you starting the regimen. I have noticed my acne goes in cycles and steadily gets worse. For example, I got my first round of acne when I was 23 and it steadily grew worse. By the time I was 25, I resorted to Accutane. As Dan said, that worked great for my 'bacne' and for a while for my face. To the point where I just washed my face with Dove soap. Then it started up again and I went through all the medicated washes and topicals once again. I resorted to Accutane a 2nd time (at age 31) even though I feel that stuff is terrible on your body. I wasn't able to stay on Accutane for a full course the 2nd time around due to the side effects. But it cleared my face for a while. And by the way, I've not had my 'bacne' return at all since my first course of Accutane. Now here I am 33 and was researching all my options of what to do and even considered Accutane one more time until I reviewed the side effects. Luckily this past December, I found this website and immediately ordered Dan's gel. I started the last week of December and am pleasantly surprised.

May I also ask how old you are? I would guess if you are a teenager or even in your twenties you are going through your first acne cycle.

Anyone else agree with my thoughts?

Dan:

I only apply the amount of pressure required to get the BP to absorb in a reasonable amount of time, and the quickest is about 10 minutes. Mind you, I have to apply to the area you do as well as my forehead.

I really wish I could get Eucerin Renewal, but that would require me to order it from the US and get it shipped to Canada, which ends up coming to $25+ Canadian. I actually agree that the moisturizer scenerio could be the problem I'm having, because I have to put on a huge glob of Neutrogena and Cetaphil in the morning and rub it in vigorously just to make it through the day without flaking. This takes like 10 minutes on its own, so I admit this could be one issue.

It may be true that I naturally would have had worse acne with or without the regimen, I'm not sure how I can find out. I know my acne started mid 8th grade, and got progressively worse since. I developed bacne in 9th grade. I'm sure this is a bad sign because I'm the only person in my gym class with cysts on his back, so maybe I actually do have serious problems?

I don't think I'll be able to make a video of me doing the regimen, as I'm not really sure how to get the video from a camera to the internet and if I asked for my parents help, I'm sure they would wonder why I was sending a video of myself putting on acne medication to a stranger on the net.

I've been trying this SA regimen for 2 days, and it leaves my skin feeling much nicer than the BP regimen, but it hasn't done anything for the acne. I'm going to make a doctor's appointment tomorrow and then I'm going to try to get prescribed Accutane. I've had enough of this; this is not something that should be able to control your life. I was hanging out with the girl I liked tonight and she came up behind me to cover my eyes with her hands. Her hand brushed against my forehead and she felt the huge swollen papules, and from then on the night was so, so awkward. Any chance there is gone. :cry:

I really respect you, Dan, because you never hesitate to take your guidance to the personal level to help people. Good on you. I also apologize for my embarrassing display at the start of this topic, it's just that that night I think I finally snapped.

I didnt feel like reading the million posts but its as simple as not every product works for everyone otherwise nobody would have acne if there was some universal magic product.... I love dan's regimen and owe him my life.... go on tane

the regimen keeps me clean, but i'm starting to think about the money i spend on it as of a problem.

as we all know, once u r off the regimen, your skin will get worse.

so maybe it's a fair price to pay for a more or less clean skin, but in my case, might be too expensive.

besides, i need to get up earlier in the morning and carry a bag of face products with me every time i don't sleep at home. and god forbids i miss one application!

so it is rather hursh, but what can u do..

:doubt:

Well yeah, vigorously rubbing in moisturizer for 10 minutes sounds like really bad news. I agree. Also, the reason I asked about acne on your body was to gauge the severity of your problem. I know at least for me when I started getting it on my back that's when it started getting severe. Perhaps this is what's going on with you. I'll be curious to hear what your doc recommends.

Lol, that's ironic. I cancelled the doctor's appointment today because I decided I'd give the regimen one last shot. I've completely reformed the way I wash/apply BP/apply moisturizer based mostly on this topic. I'm going to see how little moisturizer I can get by with, by using AHA/Cetaphil at the right times I guess. I'll give it 2 weeks and decide my next step then. I'll post with updates. Thanks for your help Dan, and everyone else.

Well yeah, vigorously rubbing in moisturizer for 10 minutes sounds like really bad news. I agree. Also, the reason I asked about acne on your body was to gauge the severity of your problem. I know at least for me when I started getting it on my back that's when it started getting severe. Perhaps this is what's going on with you. I'll be curious to hear what your doc recommends.

i don't have acne on my body, except a zit here and there (mostly on my legs for some reason).

i'm past two courses of tane, so i spose it still deals with it every time a zit wants to come out.

but my face is a different story.

i didn't have one day of a 100% clear complexion since i was 16.

now 3 months into the regimen, i'm about 80-90% clear, but i still hafta be extremely gentle with my skin and careful about what i eat (yes, it does depend on it for me) and so on.

i wasn't talking to my doc about it since i was off the tane for the second time. i don't think he would see my current condition as a concern, and besides, he would be pissed off that i started the regimen without discussing it with him first.

i know he has no alternative solution for me.

so thank God we have Dan to help us out ;)