Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
northernboi

Accutane and Facial Redness

Well ive been off accutane now for over 4 months now and i still get really red either when its really hot or cold or in embarassing situations....does anyone know when this redness goes away?? its really starting to get annoying.

Thanks

I've had a lot of this 'flushing', and it can get really bad and my acne hasn't even gone yet.

I'd go back to the doctors/derm see what they think, cause if that is the situation with me I'd be very pissed off.

I'm going to bring it up with my derm when I see him/her on Monday, cause its nearly if not as bad as the acne.

For you people who don't experience it, don't comment cause you dont know what its like.

'Northernboi' what dosage were you on? Im only on 40mg, but my flushing is quite bad.

Hence why I'm sat at home today and not in college.

Hey Posh Spice...i was on 80mg for about 5 months....and the facial redness started to occur after my first month....i thought it was only a side effect and would go away after going off accutane, but I still get really red and I cant help it, and ive been off tane for over 4 months...its so frustrating...and I hate it when people on this board say that im being paranoid or that its just me blushing.CAUSE ITS NOT....i look like im actually really badly sun burnt when it happens...and people always comment on my skin colour, and they say you should really use sunscreen next time, stuff like that...its soo annoying...so please for people who have not experienced this side-effect and who know nothing about it, please keep your coments to yourselves....anyway Posh Spice, let me know what your doc says about the redness...I asked my doc and he said it would probably go away in about a year, but i dont know if i was too convinced...so people who actually know about this, please share what you know with the rest of us...thanks

Well... I am not gonna tell you that your blushing is a result of pure embarassment or temperture changes. Because, in reality- it isn't.. even if it wasn't caused by the accutane- it's a result of blood vessels in the face. Some people are more prone to it than others, and some people even have Rosacea which is a disease of the skin affecting blood vessels in the cheeks, nose and sometimes even the eyes.

My only advice I can offer is to try and stop thinking about it, and breathe easier to calm yourself down when you feel it happening. Blushing occurs when blood rushes to your face, but I noticed that If I try to *catch* myself blushing, I gradually made myself almost stop blushing. I don't know how to describe it, but I used to blush constantly...bending over, embarassment, happy, laughing, etc. (And I havent even taken accutane) But, now- I don't blush even half as much, or half as bright. I just basically try to breathe calmly and ignore it... When you knwo your blushing, you tend to get even worse...you can sometimes feel your ears get hot, lol ..Well at least I can!

And your derm is probably right.. You'll notice a gradual fading of this symptom. As your skin repairs itself during the course of the next year- you will flush less, and you probably won't even notice it dropping off.

H Posh Spice, let me know what your doc says about the redness...I asked my doc and he said it would probably go away in about a year, but i dont know if i was too convinced...

Yeah I will do. Dont know whether to play the redness down so I can get bumped up to a highier dosage (still hav acne!) or tell them about it then they will leave me on the same or lower it. Grr I dont know!

Thanks for the info FrankieBGirl...yeah, i definetly think what your saying makes sense...i think during and after accutane, the blood vessls in your face become more sensitve (thats why you are at high risk of getting sun burnt while on tane) and therefore you get really red easily and it seems like your blushing..and there was a post that i read on this website and the girl had the same problem and her derm said it would take up to a year for this flushing to go away because the blood vessels, like Frankie B mentioned, are a lot more sensitive...and its a gradual process but you have to be patient...anyway Posh Spice i cant wait to hear what your doctor has to say about this...keep us posted

I have already have this argument before and I don't really want to have it again. But accutane does not cause blushing. Flushing yes, blushing no.

Anyways, I used to be very shy and blushed quite often. It all started in my last year of high school and continued to get worse. As a result, I tried to avoid situations in which I might be put in an uncomfortable situation. Unfortunately, my coping skills deteriorated and the blushing problem got worse.

Eventually I decided I needed to fix this. What I did was put myself in situations in which I might become embarassed. Then, when I felt myself starting to blush I would try to catch myself. I then began to realize what sort of situations made me blush and was able to convince myself that it was silly. Whenever I felt myself getting nervous I would also run through all of the success in my life, giving me reason to be confidence. I would also force myself to deal with any situation, no matter how embarassing.

Another thing that has really helped me is to just realize that acting embarassed and blushing makes people take you less seriously and people are less likely to befriend you, etc. The more confident you are the more people will listen to you and respect/like you. If you are confident, you will have no reason to be embarassed because people will respect you.

Another thing to remember is that people are not constantly judging you, so don't worry about what others think.

Also, carefully watch other people in all circumstances. You will begin to realize that everyone gets nervous, and most people even blush on occassion - more often than you had previously realized. So others don't notice you blushing/getting nervous as much as you think.

By watching other people you will begin to recognize the signs of nervousness in yourself, and you will be able to follow examples of confident speakers.

This whole post has been pretty much random ramblings. This is how I got over my blushing/self-confidence problem, and the above is largely how I did it, in no particular order other than the order that they came to my head.

As you start to gain some confidence, you will quickly gain more. The great thing about it is that confidence breads confidence. It's like a ladder, and once you get your foot on that first rung you will be at the top in no time.

I have already have this argument before and I don't really want to have it again. But accutane does not cause blushing. Flushing yes, blushing no.

Anyways, I used to be very shy and blushed quite often. It all started in my last year of high school and continued to get worse. As a result, I tried to avoid situations in which I might be put in an uncomfortable situation. Unfortunately, my coping skills deteriorated and the blushing problem got worse.

Eventually I decided I needed to fix this. What I did was put myself in situations in which I might become embarassed. Then, when I felt myself starting to blush I would try to catch myself. I then began to realize what sort of situations made me blush and was able to convince myself that it was silly. Whenever I felt myself getting nervous I would also run through all of the success in my life, giving me reason to be confidence. I would also force myself to deal with any situation, no matter how embarassing.

Another thing that has really helped me is to just realize that acting embarassed and blushing makes people take you less seriously and people are less likely to befriend you, etc. The more confident you are the more people will listen to you and respect/like you. If you are confident, you will have no reason to be embarassed because people will respect you.

Another thing to remember is that people are not constantly judging you, so don't worry about what others think.

Also, carefully watch other people in all circumstances. You will begin to realize that everyone gets nervous, and most people even blush on occassion - more often than you had previously realized. So others don't notice you blushing/getting nervous as much as you think.

By watching other people you will begin to recognize the signs of nervousness in yourself, and you will be able to follow examples of confident speakers.

This whole post has been pretty much random ramblings. This is how I got over my blushing/self-confidence problem, and the above is largely how I did it, in no particular order other than the order that they came to my head.

As you start to gain some confidence, you will quickly gain more. The great thing about it is that confidence breads confidence. It's like a ladder, and once you get your foot on that first rung you will be at the top in no time.

Good post

Anyone find you used to have a lot of redness and it gradually faded away to where your skin tone is normal now after accutane?

My face was constantly flushed on accutane but it started to fade after a couple of weeks. It was almost unnoticeable after a month. I still get somewhat flush if I'm somewhere that's really warm and I get really wind burned when I go snowboarding. Much better than when I was on accutane though.

oh god i got so red for no reason [??] in sociology today. we were having a discussion and then i started thinking about blushing and it happened! terrible! and the more i thought about it the worse it got!

why do i get red every time i go to answer a question? i dont feel nervous, its not like tehres anyone there to impress, the teacher is very friendly and by no means intimidating, andi know what im talking about.

blahhh! stupid red race lol!

Trizznain...im glad to hear your flushing has almost subsided...im sure within a year itll be completely gone!

Sehnsucht 67....are you currently on accutane???

i get the occasional redness and im about 1-2 month off tane. Usually it happens when i drink a lot. Somehow the alchohol turns my face very red after the tane the last 6 months.

just try to do the best you can to avoid irritating your face. i also find if i drink a lot of water throughout the day that helps going into future days (to avoid redness)

What's so bad about blushing? Like some crappy magazine says it's not sexy?

Shut the fuck up.

What's so bad about blushing? Like some crappy magazine says it's not sexy?

Shut the fuck up.

Have you seen a psychiatrist lately? You should.

You don't even know me. So as I said before 'Shut the fuck up'

Oh and stop been a bitch.

yes i'm on accutane but i also think i have anxiety which has been getting worse so i'm gonna try to get something for that and maybe it'll stop.