Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
curious

For those who've had punch floats recently

I was disappointed. Some turned out well, others no change, others came out worse either because of larger hole, discoloration, or overelevated. I am mystified by results because other posters had such good success. Dr tried several small ice picks/scarred pores on nose, which just made larger hole. Becasue I had heard good things about floats and because I traveled from far away, I asked him to be aggressive. In any event, I think I would have been better to skip this step. My scars are shallow for the most part and that may be part of the problem with the floats or maybe the graft came out, or maybe it did not form due to blood clot. Based on my mixed experience I would limit this to deep scars only.

Mine were a disaster. I've NO IDEA what happened as this is supposed to be the easiest and best treatment for icepicks. None are elevated, they are either deeper & bigger in diameter or the same. I had 10. :( A combination of copper peptides and RetinA seem to have helped shrink them a bit, but I'm still worse off than before... :cry::cry::cry:

How long did your steri-strips stay on? I hate that you are having to deal with a worse situation.

When I had punch grafting done, the first set of grafts fell out..fortuently the second set took. I wonder if grafts might work for you at this point.

Have you talked with the Dr. about your situation? Did he offer any advice.

Gosh, I am sorry to hear this! I wish the best for you guys and that you are able to rectify this before or with your dermabrasion (if you are having dermabrasion). I just wanted to try to punch two of my small pits that bother me the most. They are small (1-2mm) bit probably fairly deep. I wonder if excision is best now, or TCA Cross. Argh! - so confusing. At any rate, I too am surprised at your outcomes and sorry you have to deal with this!

How long did your steri-strips stay on? I hate that you are having to deal with a worse situation.

When I had punch grafting done, the first set of grafts fell out..fortuently the second set took. I wonder if grafts might work for you at this point.

Have you talked with the Dr. about your situation? Did he offer any advice.

Thanks. My "tape" (aka steri-strips) was on anywhere from 5-10 days; it doesn't seem to have made any difference. I am NOT going back for more. NO WAY. I really don't know about the grafts & I'm WAY too scared at this point to try it. I haven't spoken to the doctor, but I don't know what he could possibly do but volunteer to re-do them and I'm not amenable to that! Another guy had twice as many punched as I did a week before & his didn't turn out so great either; he went back & is still disappointed. I had already decided to quit while I'm ahead b/c I'm not planning on any major resurfacing in the near future. The other guy is having fraxel pretty soon & that should help him tremendously, I would think.

the surgical on scars treatment actually depends on the age too. maybe, you can try to go for a fraxel treatment to boost your collagen growth after the excision or punch float, it will definitely raise up the depressed scars caused by the surgery since there is left with an indent which is like a rolling scar.

After reading everyone's comments it prompted me to take a look in the mirror and see if I could locate my floats. I had 24 done in 2004 prior to the dermabrasion.

When I use a 10X mag mirror I can find the outline of about half of them. You cannot see them with makeup and they all seemed to have turned out fairly well. There are a couple on my right cheek near my mouth which are not level with the skin, but the ones that were done on the deepest icepicks seemed to have held out fairly well.

I am planning on going back to have 6 done the end of March, I have to say I am now a bit freaked out. Hmmm...what to do....

I have a question, are the punch floats done fore icepick or other types of scars?

Sorry to hear of the mixed results.

I am planning on going back to have 6 done the end of March, I have to say I am now a bit freaked out. Hmmm...what to do....

Oh NO, do NOT be scared! Your results are typical - that's how 99.9% turn out! Since you know how your skin responds & your doctor obviously did a great job, you should have NO WORRIES! If you're still freaked out, and your doctor isn't too far away, why not have one done & then once that heals get the other 5 done?

(p.s. mine were all small and shallow ice picks)

I am never sure how to describe my scars because they are mixed. I would say that the floats were done on ice picks and boxcars. Few of my scars are that deep and few are a perfect circle. I speculated that my first set did not turn out the well (keep in mind that some are just fine) because I bled alot. I forgot to stop Naproxen well before surgery and the extra bleeding may have hampered ability of Dr to see. Or maybe, the extra blood/scabbing interfered with graft formation and or made it easier to pull up graft when I removed steristrip. I also had problems around nose. Here, steristrips had a tendency to move or fall off early - mostly becasue I have oily skin in this area (and I was not washing or shaving face to protect strips) and also because I caught the flu and was blowing my nose a lot on redos. Even those that stayed on over 7 days did not heal well. Dr said the nose does not heal as well and I also wonder whether, at my older age of 54 and having had a lot of sun exposure, that my skin was not as responsive.

In any event, be careful to draw any conclusions from my experience because each situation is different. Also, I have not given up hope on my redos, even though it does not look good at this point, because I believe they will continue to fill in. That said, be careful of floats on/around nose, limit this to wider/deeper scars, do only if you are goign to then resurface skin. There is a risk that it could turn out worse. Why take this risk with thin or shallow scars when they might be fixed well by Fraxel alone?

Most importantly, Dr said he would not do floats unless it was to be followed by resurfacing. IE, "it ain't going to look better without more work" was my interpretation. So, once I get through with my series of Fraxels, I may feel differently about efficacy. I'm not sure how I will draw that conclusion, but it is possilbe. Nothing is black or white in this the sacr fix game. Even though disappointed at this stage, I was happy with Dr.

Billyboy,

who was the doc that did your punch floats?

Butterflies76 and theBride,

I believe both of your punch floats were done by the same doctor, Dr. Y. Is this correct?

Are you thinking about doing them with Dr. Y again, theBride?

Are you thinking about doing them with Dr. Y again, theBride?

Dr. Y did my floats and I am scheduled to go again on 3/28. There is one deepish area on my left cheek that was made more apparent by the dermabrasion. Not in a major sort of way, just uncovered it a bit when the procedure was done. You could see the scar before this last dermabrasion, but now that the skin is so smooth around it, I guess it makes it more apparent, at least to me. I am looking forward to having it punched out for good..lol.

*Misty

Yes, Dr. Y did my FLOATS (I had 10 & they were ALL floats). I don't think MY skin is amenable to this treatment b/c it doesn't make sense that not a single one was successful. I mean, just the law of probability....I've never had anything like that done before & quite obviously never will again. I'm just wondering WHERE the "pulled up" punched skin went? Did it sink back down? I can understand a PUNCH GRAFT falling out or becoming dislodged, but my case is just weird.

No, I haven't had time & was hoping they would correct themselves. I'm thinking that maybe he was TOO careful b/c I told him I wasn't planning on a resurfacing procedure in the near future. The only side effect I'd ever heard of was that the punched skin would be slightly ELEVATED - which is an improvement (to me) over holes, but maybe he was trying too hard for that not to happen since I hadn't a procedure planned to level them out? I WILL ask eventually, but it's weird b/c I don't intend to "fix" them in the same manner. Too freaked out to give it another go. I leave for New Orleans tomorrow for a week & I might pop in so he can see for himself.

Please go and see him if you can. I hope he can explain some of this, so that you can find a solution for your scars. :pray:

So that you don't double count, I am the person that Butterflies refers to as having had a disappointing experience with floats. Also, I am still optimistic that things will turn out well. Also, the holes that remained, due to absence of grafts, filled in by themselves fairly well with time. Dr Y says this is from the skin laying down collegen to repair the punch wound, much like occurs after dermabrasion or Fraxel. So, I would not necessarily draw the same conclusion that Butterlies did that her "punch hole closings" were due to copperpeptide and/or Retin A.

Dr Y performed floats. He is a great guy and very capable. Other threads have questioned whether he minimized the very real pigment risk for darker skin types. This was a major concern for me as I am very tan, even though I am blond/blue eyed. (Most people that meet me say I look like the quintessential CA Surfer Dude) I thought I was a Fitz II, but he felt I was more olive than that (Fitz III-iv). He also noted SEVERaL HYPERPIGMENTED SCRATCHES/CUTS ON HANDS FROM PLAYING WITH our CATS OR HOUSEWORK. He told me that a dermabrasion might be dicy for someone with such active pigmentary changes. That's why I will try the Fraxel route instead.

As to float progression, there is a gradual elevation occuring for most floats. One float that was elevated immediately after strips came off, has continued to rise and it is slightly red/irrititated. This is my worst result because the prior scar was minimal and this scar stand outs. Others that were flush awhile back, seem slightly elevated to the touch. But, they are so small, this elavation is not visible. Others appeared to have stayed put. Also, as noted, in cases where the graft did not take, I noticed that the hole refilled a bit. Dr Y was kind enough to redo 5 floats at no charge. Again, I can't really detect a graft at the redo sites, however, I gradually see the holes filling in. My point in giving this detail is that I really think I need to give it more time. Also, I am going to try the silicone scar sheets. I know they are not supposed to work on indented scars. But, I now have some slighlty elevated floats and perhaps I will get lucky even with the indents, as well as smooting out the excess elevation. Has anyone else ever used these? If this works, I will feel much better about my result and also the punch float risk, in that the overelevation risk can be corrected through the silicone sheets.

Hey bb!! Just didn't want to punch-float "out" you without your permission. LOL :D Hmmm, maybe mine would have filled in on their own without the RetinA/copper peptides. What you said makes a lot of sense; that is why I didn't want to cry wolf and tell Dr. Y that they were a disaster when the jury is still out, so to speak. Also, most people have their resurfacing scheduled anywhere from 2-4 weeks after the punch stuff, so their results might have been the same as ours, but they didn't stress about it b/c they knew it was just stage 1 & stage 2, etc. could fix and/or improve things. I mean, usually he won't even do them unless you have a major resurfacing procedure scheduled. I'll give things a bit more time to heal & try to pop in to see him at the end of next week. There's no doubt in my mind he would do ANYTHING to make me happy; I've NEVER doubted his honesty or capabilities. I rather like him and wouldn't hesitate to have a dermabrasion with him; just not punch stuff b/c my skin doesn't like it!

Hey, I had a bunch of punch floats by Dr. Y and they all turned out really well, except for 1. It has made the scar shallower & less sharp, but it is still there. The scar was really messed up looking in the first place and Dr. Y said he couldn't do it, but he did it anyway after asking him by punching it more than once.

My question is, should I get it punched again before the next dermabrasion or be safe and just leave it alone as he said it wasn't good for a punch float anyway? I'm thinking maybe get the dermabrasion and then do TCA Cross like a year later or so afterward if it still bothers me.

I'm just curious about the punches. How small can the scar be to punch it? Can it be really little and still get a punch float? I know I have looked at Misty's pics a few times and believe those were some really tiny icepick scars. Also how much does each punch cost? I am getting Fraxel treatments in a couple of months and would like to ask the doctor about getting anything fairly deep punched first.

Punch floats are roughly $50-$60 each. I really don't know what to tell you at this point - I WISH I'd had just ONE punched & then waited to see how it would heal (very, very poorly in my case) before deciding on the rest. Misty & A_PRO have had them before & healed beautifully, so their procedure should be a breeze. I now have a deep icepick where before I'd never seen anything (so I guess that answers your question of how tiny a hole can be to punch it - VERY small apparently as I couldn't even see it before!) PLEASE BE CAREFUL!

I'll second Butterflies caution flag. Mine did not turn out that well - some did fine, but most did not. That said, they may end up fine after a series of fraxels. The smallest punch tool is tiny. I may have this wrong, but i think it is .5 mm diameter

Yeah I really think I will get the fraxels treatmetns and then see how happy I am with the results. My scars are all shallow except maybe three that are close to each other on my right cheek. They are all really tiny icepick scars but I wouldnt mind getting those three floated first. I also have a slightly raised scar that I have wanted to get excised. It is also on my right cheek. Since the fraxels will only cost $1800 total for 6 on just my cheeks I think I will do those and then if I'm not happy I could always get the three floated and the slightly raised scar excised. $60 is very cheap also for something like that. I dont know why but i expected it to be more expensive than that.

Thanks guys

For raised scar you should try the OTC silicone scar sheets. I am trying this on my 2 raised floats. Too early to tell, but I think I may be seeing good results on 1 float that is red, irritted and elevated.