Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pjcq

Over-The-Bar Medication -- Beer and Acne

OK, bear with me. I know this is a little ridiculous. :)

Prelude: I was almost completely clear ALL SUMMER. It was amazing. I was abroad, and I finally thought I had outgrown acne. When I came back to the States, I broke out again. Other than some sort of European air being the cure, I couldn't figure out what changed. Nothing has changed -- I use the same medicated soap, the same methods. My lifestyle and diet are the same -- lots of pasta and, most relevant to this thread, I partied like a rockstar in both places: plenty of beer!

Now, I've become a big believer in the whole b5 thing reading this board and other. If it doesn't cure acne, I think it at least does some wonders for your skin and oil production, and that's good enough for me.

And then, today, I'm surfing the web, and it hits me. I drink the same amount on both sides of the Atlantic. But whereas here my weapon of choice is Miller Lite, and, if I'm feeling expensive, some Blue Moon or Sam, I was chugging Guiness with the best of them this summer in Ireland, sucking down thick ales in England, and pretty much chewing German beer.

So the only difference between the summer and the fall was darker beer. Of course! Beer yeast is one of the BEST SOURCES of Vitamin B products!

One liter of beer provides 20% of the generally recognized Adult Minimum Daily Requirement of riboflavin (B2), 25% for pantothenic acid (B3) [this says b3, but he must have meant b5, since that's what PA is] and 36% for pyridoxin (B6).

OK, bear with me. I know this is a little ridiculous. :)

Prelude: I was almost completely clear ALL SUMMER. It was amazing. I was abroad, and I finally thought I had outgrown acne. When I came back to the States, I broke out again. Other than some sort of European air being the cure, I couldn't figure out what changed. Nothing has changed -- I use the same medicated soap, the same methods. My lifestyle and diet are the same -- lots of pasta and, most relevant to this thread, I partied like a rockstar in both places: plenty of beer!

Now, I've become a big believer in the whole b5 thing reading this board and other. If it doesn't cure acne, I think it at least does some wonders for your skin and oil production, and that's good enough for me.

And then, today, I'm surfing the web, and it hits me. I drink the same amount on both sides of the Atlantic. But whereas here my weapon of choice is Miller Lite, and, if I'm feeling expensive, some Blue Moon or Sam, I was chugging Guiness with the best of them this summer in Ireland, sucking down thick ales in England, and pretty much chewing German beer.

So the only difference between the summer and the fall was darker beer. Of course! Beer yeast is one of the BEST SOURCES of Vitamin B products!

One liter of beer provides 20% of the generally recognized Adult Minimum Daily Requirement of riboflavin (B2), 25% for pantothenic acid (B3) [this says b3, but he must have meant b5, since that's what PA is] and 36% for pyridoxin (B6).

http://www.eat-online.net/english/habits/germany_habits.htm

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupplements/...enicAcidcs.html - here's a bit about beer yeast & vitamin B.

On top of that --

Today, studies prove that double- or triple-fermentation beer is good for the health, particularly given the vitamin B present in the yeast.

http://www.unibroue.com/beer101/sante.cfm

Darker, heavier, and more fermented beers == more b-complex vitamins == better skin. Maybe it's only a little amount of b5, but maybe that was just enough to push me over the edge.

Ladies and gentlemen, there you have it. Is it a negligible amount of b5? Maybe. But am I going to start opting for Guiness or a good pale ale when I go out instead of a light beer? You bet I am :dance:

Thoughts? I'm particularly curious to hear from beer experts - can you think of any American beers that brew dark or triple-ferment like this?

note -- if a glass of beer really has 20% of the daily allowance of PA...that means it has 2mg of PA. So to get your 10 grams worth that people recommend, you would have to have about 5000 glasses of beer per day to get enough to megadose, which I probably couldn't do :D But hey, every little bit helps, right? :)

I've never heard of this, but being an avid beer drinker, I'll have to get my dad to buy me more darker russian beers. Some of the best dark beers out there, besides the obvious best, guiness in my opinion, are russian, specifically "baltica" if you can get that, it's good stuff, plus comes in a super dark variet called "9" which is almost as thick as guiness plus is 8.75% alchy compared to some weaker 5.5% american beers.

I KNOW you are on to something!!!! Back a few years ago when I was partying too much; I had terrific skin. I always said the beer helped, but I never thought to research it. Now you have and it confirms my thoughts. However, I am not a big beer drinker anymore; actually I never drink it. Maybe I should start having one in the evening. Except, how much is a liter? Would a long neck work? Is there anything more "natural" or nonalcholic I could do to get the same vitamins.

Thanks so much for the research!!

alcohol drains out your b-vitamins though. sorry to shit on your parade.

From what I've seen online, alcohol mostly destroys b12 and b6 in particular, so hopefully it helps with the other b-species.

Although, check this out.

Blood concentrations of vitamin [b.sub.6] in the men [who drank beer] were 30 percent higher, on average, after 3 weeks of drinking beer, compared to their values after the period of consuming water, Henk F.J. Hendriks, a nutritional physiologist at the TNO Nutrition and Food Research Institute in Zeist, and his colleagues report in the April 29 LANCET. Vitamin [b.sub.6] concentrations rose 15 and 17 percent, respectively, after wine and gin consumption.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...791559#continue

Baby Blue...I'm not sure! A liter is too much beer to drink every night, unless you're pretty intense :) I wouldn't recommend this as an actual regimen or anything. My plan is just to make sure that when I drink, I stay away from light beers and try to get into the fuller, darker beers.

Have you ever tried O'Douls? It's a pretty famous non-alcoholic beer. I went to their website and looked it up, and they do use Brewer's Yeast, so that could work for you if you want to go the beer route!

baby blue to answer your question just buy malts with no alcohol. they are like beer and have the same taste but without the alcohol in it.

Yeah you definitely can, and you can get them in a lot more concentrated and better varieties. Check out the b5 thread at the top of this forum. You can even buy brewer's yeast which can somehow be consumed as a supplement.

I was more just suggesting that, for those who do drink beer, switching to fuller beers might be beneficial.

well i am not an a big drinker but at party two days ago i had some russian vodka and woke up next morning with many pimples gone, and face not being an oil slick. I am guessing thats because alcohol drained my body of all moisture.

Hmmm, do I see a new trend developing?

And people worry about Accutane causing liver damage ...

I'm just joking, don't flame me.

Haha Queen, at least this would be a little more pleasant than Accutane.

In fact, I'm going to start calling Guinness "Guinnesstane" and drinking it by the BUCKET ;)

Haha Queen, at least this would be a little more pleasant than Accutane.

In fact, I'm going to start calling Guinness "Guinnesstane" and drinking it by the BUCKET ;)

haha srsly imagine that drinking beer helps alot of people and we get a forum of alcoholics going.

I'm loving this topic!! I'm taking b5 and its helping, but I do love beer!!! I have been avoiding alcohol because I thought it inhibited the absorption. I think I'll treat myself to a yummy stout every so often, YUM!!! My favorite dark beer is San Miguel Dark...don't know if its dark enough to qualify, but it is delicious, and affordable too @ 4.99 a six pack at Trader Joe's.

YES. Finally, I have an excuse to drink beer. :D

If you're looking for a fairly cheap Stateside dark beer, you should try Yuengling. It's all I drink these days. It's also pretty damn cheap.

non alchoholic beer is a terrific idea! I don't think I would get 'mother of the year' drinking a liter of beer a day.

I also just read that baker's yeast it good to put on your skin; active blemishes. I will get the book I was reading and get more information, but it also involved honey.

i know I fell off the 'wagon', but I was breaking out agian and I just had to have some beer.

Okay, this is how deeply I think about causes of acne. I was thinking that when I was drinking alot of beer it was cleaning my mouth (alcohol kills germs) and when I drooled at night (gross I know) it was cleaner and it wasn't cloggingmy pores. Haa haa. I started drinking mouthwash after brushing, but it didn't help. So, I will have to get me some.

Ohh ohh ohh, let me be the 'guinea pig'!!!!

I totally disagree..... whenever i drink i wake up the next day with 3-4 new pimples and if i dont drunk for a weekend my skin looks so much better

OMG I love Yuengling...that's brewed in PA right? I had it once in Philly and it was AWESOME.

It was originally brewed in PA, but now it's brewed all over the place, as far as I know. I live in FL and we have a brewery literally right down the street. :)

I totally disagree..... whenever i drink i wake up the next day with 3-4 new pimples and if i dont drunk for a weekend my skin looks so much better

I used to have the same problem, but I think it has way more to do with not following your normal skincare routine when you drink. Nowadays, I make sure to follow my normal skincare regimen (even when I'm absolutely falling-down-drunk - yes, I'm that determined), and I haven't had any problems with breakouts related to drinking nights.