Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My derm. prescribed me retin-a yesterday and told me to use a pea-sized application and to divide my face into 4 quadrants using it. I don't feel like this is enough and I tend to go a little overboard, accidentally. Maybe because I've been using Benzoyl Peroxide in large doses, just like everyone else, so I'm basically addicted to using alot?

Does anyone else break this rule a little, if not how has Retin-a worked for you? I'm already seeing my skin getting a lil better :)

-Bob

The classic mistake most people make with Retin A is over-using it at first because they have no idea how powerful the active ingredient is. Then they turn bright red and start peeling like mad ... and a lot of them quit in the first couple weeks. Which is too bad, because Retin A and other retinoids are some of the most effective treatments out there.

Go SLOWLY, per the directions, and let your skin adjust gradually to the tretinoin. As long as you do not get the "sunburned" feeling -- you are just fine. But if your face starts getting red and sore at any point, you need to take a day or two off and let it go back to normal; then resume Retin A use.

Some other advice for staying hydrated and avoiding irritation:

-- Use a very gentle cleanser with no active ingredients, no more than twice a day

-- Do not scrub your face, but do find a way to gently exfoliate it regularly (synthetic brush?). Because the Retin A speeds up skin cell turnover so much, you will soon find that you are shedding a bunch of old, dead skin. This is a good thing -- but you want to gently get it off your face so it won't clog your pores.

-- Inside your skin, the Retin A is working to regenerate skin cells and collagen. All this activity is pushing old dead skin and dried sebum to the surface -- the dreaded purge. This can last a while, but don't give up. Exfoliation will help a lot.

-- Take essential fatty acid (EFA) supplements and drink a lot of water.

-- Wear sunscreen every day.

-- Always apply the Retin A to a clean, dry face. Wait at least 30-45 minutes before using a moisturizer. Simple moisturizers that don't clog pores are best; try emu oil or jojoba oil. These will look greasy, but since you would only use them at night, that shouldn't matter too much.

The classic mistake most people make with Retin A is over-using it at first because they have no idea how powerful the active ingredient is. Then they turn bright red and start peeling like mad ... and a lot of them quit in the first couple weeks. Which is too bad, because Retin A and other retinoids are some of the most effective treatments out there.

Go SLOWLY, per the directions, and let your skin adjust gradually to the tretinoin. As long as you do not get the "sunburned" feeling -- you are just fine. But if your face starts getting red and sore at any point, you need to take a day or two off and let it go back to normal; then resume Retin A use.

Some other advice for staying hydrated and avoiding irritation:

-- Use a very gentle cleanser with no active ingredients, no more than twice a day

-- Do not scrub your face, but do find a way to gently exfoliate it regularly (synthetic brush?). Because the Retin A speeds up skin cell turnover so much, you will soon find that you are shedding a bunch of old, dead skin. This is a good thing -- but you want to gently get it off your face so it won't clog your pores.

-- Inside your skin, the Retin A is working to regenerate skin cells and collagen. All this activity is pushing old dead skin and dried sebum to the surface -- the dreaded purge. This can last a while, but don't give up. Exfoliation will help a lot.

-- Take essential fatty acid (EFA) supplements and drink a lot of water.

-- Wear sunscreen every day.

-- Always apply the Retin A to a clean, dry face. Wait at least 30-45 minutes before using a moisturizer. Simple moisturizers that don't clog pores are best; try emu oil or jojoba oil. These will look greasy, but since you would only use them at night, that shouldn't matter too much.

Thanks Queen! This information is extremely helpful. Too bad I already put alot on for tonight lol hopefully I'm not red in the morning...

-BoB

If you really feel like you put a lot on tonight, just don't use it tomorrow night -- you should be OK. It's hard to be patient when you're starting a new regimen, but with retinoids you really have to go slowly.

I've been LOADING up on Retin-A (I mean, really globbing the stuff on) and have seen zero adverse affects.

I think I killed my skin long ago. R.I.P.

I've been LOADING up on Retin-A (I mean, really globbing the stuff on) and have seen zero adverse affects.

Yeah, some people can do that. But not many.

I think I killed my skin long ago. R.I.P.

AHHH!! you just gave me bad visuals...lol. i could never do that, my skin is far too sensitive. i think i would just want to stick my face in a bowl of cold pudding. mmm.

yes i totally mis-used retina when i first got it, wow what a mistake. but how can you cover your entire face with a pea sized ammount? its pretty hard.