Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristam

My Regimen (or lack thereof)

Hi all,

I'm starting my new "anti-regimen;" in other words, Jan Carlo's regimen of (simply) water. Laugh all you want, but I'm going to give it a shot, since all other products have left my face ravaged (admittedly, I had very little acne while on the Clear Skin Regimen, but it left behind red marks galore and aged my face horribly :wall: ).

Surely there's a reason why my oldest bro and I, out of many siblings, are the ONLY ones who get more than the mildest forms of acne and we're the only ones rubbing on product after product.

Month 1 plan:

My mornings will consist of splashing on hot water to wash my face and then putting on cetaphil's gentle moisturizer.

My nights will consist of splashing hot water on my face and then spot treating acne using apple cider vinegar and a q-tip.

Months 2-6 plan:

Same as above, but I'll eliminate the spot treatment of apple cider vinegar

Months 7+ plan:

Continue with the previous plan, but I'll hopefully be clear enough to start focusing on my red marks that bp left. :cry:

Jan's purported "anti-cure" as a form of eliminating acne has pretty much been scorned by most people (if they were polite I assume they simply ignored it). But you can't laugh at something until you try it, so I'm going to give this a shot. It is a big investment of time, so if it doesn't work, shame on me. If it does work, I'll be happy with perfectly clear skin. Either way, my acne is at the worst point that it's ever been (despite using most cures under the sun, including popular ones such as jessfoliation), and if it can't get much worse, what have I got to lose?

Update: Since yesterday, I've washed only with hot water day and night (haven't bought the ACV yet). While my whiteheads and red acnes remained the same, it just occured to me that I hadn't given my blackheads a thought. I looked in the mirror and lo and behold, the blackheads on the sides of my nose were almost non-existent. These blackheads have persisted for years, and even were there when I was on Dan's Clear Skin Regimen. Jessfoliation helped cut down the number of them, but nothing as good as this. Since it's only been a day and a half of not throwing on topicals, it's hard to attribute this to my new regimen of hot water, but...

Before I had acne, I never did a thing to my face, and also just used water. Now I'm so afraid to let go of all the products I use. I'm interested to see how your face does with your new anti-regimen. Please keep us posted.

Update: Since yesterday, I've washed only with hot water day and night (haven't bought the ACV yet). While my whiteheads and red acnes remained the same, it just occured to me that I hadn't given my blackheads a thought. I looked in the mirror and lo and behold, the blackheads on the sides of my nose were almost non-existent. These blackheads have persisted for years, and even were there when I was on Dan's Clear Skin Regimen. Jessfoliation helped cut down the number of them, but nothing as good as this. Since it's only been a day and a half of not throwing on topicals, it's hard to attribute this to my new regimen of hot water, but...

Thanks for checking up Jan. My blackheads, as stated, are becoming less of an issue. I have had a few breakouts since starting this regimen, but I expected that. However, red marks are still a real big issue. I CAN'T STAND red marks. But I know that red marks were an issue for you Jan; I can only hope that these red marks will vanish ASAP - it's been about three weeks and they're still there. But I'm going to try to stick to this regimen. There are, however, other things I've been considering:

1. I've cut most dairy from my diet, except for butter.

2. I've tried to eat pretty healthy. I also read in the diet forums that it's best to eat fruit at the start of your meal, so I open up every meal with a "golden delicious" brand apple. I've avoided most vegetables all my life, and now I'm trying to eat spinach leaves and cucumber slices and peas.

3. I've been considering taking garlic tabs and zinc supplements, but I'm broke right now (seriously, I don't have a single dollar bill in my wallet).

4. I'd like to get both a water purifier and a shower water filter (for the purpose of eliminating the chlorine and other chemicals in tap water). For the shower filter, however, I'll have to wait till next college semester, when I'm in my own apartment, as opposed to the dorms.

5. I'd like to get an air purifier, but these are really expensive.

6. Once I'm situated in my own apartment and have a water filter, I plan to be drinking green tea regularly (although I hear white tea is even better).

7. I'm exercising pretty regularly (just going to our rec center and playing soccer; since it isn't serious I never play that hard, but always enough to break a good sweat)

8. I try to drink a glass of water an hour or two before and after each meal, after reading such recommendations in the diet forum.

9. I use baking soda brand laundry detergent. I have no idea if that has any effect, but I just think "hey - baking soda - good."

EDIT: Jan, I don't use moisturizer at all. I did use cetaphil moisturizer for a few days, but it made my face all shiny and seemingly too slick. I don't think my face is really all that dry that I need moisturizer...Anyways, remember when I said I had accumulated "dead" flakes of skin around the sides of my nose? I get rid of those by lightly scrubbing with a dry cloth - I know this goes against all rules of acne-fighting, since it will make me prone to irritation. I do have a few new acnes on my nose, but I'm not sure if that was simply part of a larger breakout or if it was because of the scrubbing.

I'm praying my red marks don't scar. On a couple of places on my cheeks, there are little indentations (like an open and red pore) where red marks are around, and I'm real worried that these are permanent scars. As far as red marks go, how are yours going jan? Is there anything special you do for your acne/red marks besides try to maintain a healthy diet? Anything at all? I know you mentioned something about chinese creams for your face....