Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blonde-x-with-x-brains

problem with picking!! help needed!

Okay im 14 so i go to school, and as you do you get tired and bored (in some lessons) and usually lean on your hand as a 'head rest'. I do this a lot unfortunately and that encorouges me to pick because i can then feel bumpy skin and tend to poke then pick which results badly and makes me skin worse and red! (my horrific acne im on roaccutane for)

Also when at home even if im not bored, without even having the slightest idea about it, my hand is on my face touching and feeling away and picking yet even more. I do not know why, i try keep my hands as busy as possible, yet i always find my hands on my face and back.

Feel like if i keep picking it'll only get worse cuz i spread them whenver i pick which leads to a problems cuz i need will power that i do not have or cant find.

Please please help, any suggestions wanted! Infacts even if theyre crap i still need al the help i can yet, cuz at the moment im a bright red tomato and even that's not enough to stop me. And i get really frustrated every time i pick...

Please write in! x

Guest Gentle~Rain

Picking is a hard habit to break. The best advise I can give you from your description is to stay in the moment. Be aware of what you are doing with your hands. It's easy to be bored, la la la, then all the sudden...pick pick pick. Keep your hands busy or try lacing the fingers together ( like praying) and put your hands down in your lap. When you feel like picking just squeeze your hands together tightly.

Oh my fucken god! ! ! ! !

I dont pick my face, BUT I like to pick those sebum crap out of my pores with a tweezer.I get this gratifying sensation everytime I pull a yellowish, rice shaped, piece of crap out of my large pores, and squish it between my nails, as all the oil leaks onto my fingers.

This is getting so hot.

I think im going to masturbate now.

Livi, have you seen this website?

Stop self-injurious skin picking

It is LONG. I'm sorry. But I found it very helpful to read a little every day and think about what I was actually doing to my face. I'm not totally over this bad habit, but I (and my face) have gotten a lot better.

Also ... cut your nails. Short. Really short.

Good luck, this is a tough one for girls especially. I hope you find a lot of good support here.

Q

Oh my fucken god! ! ! ! !

I dont pick my face, BUT I like to pick those sebum crap out of my pores with a tweezer.I get this gratifying sensation everytime I pull a yellowish, rice shaped, piece of crap out of my large pores, and squish it between my nails, as all the oil leaks onto my fingers.

This is getting so hot.

I think im going to masturbate now.

uhm... UGH!!!

Yeah I pick alot too, just can't stop! I have some great mates, and my boyfriend and mum, who when they see me picking yell at me 2 stop! which helps, coz otherwise they'd kill me.

Try buying some worry beads, you can wear them all the time (and they look nice) and then when your hands aren't busy oding anythikng, hold the beads in your hand. You'll be fiddling with them instead of picking. It works for me - when I remember to wear them! :angel:

There should be a 12 step program for overcoming this.

"Hello my name is Lindsay, and I'm a picker.

(Hello Lindsay!)"

Livi, have you seen this website?

Stop self-injurious skin picking

It is LONG. I'm sorry. But I found it very helpful to read a little every day and think about what I was actually doing to my face. I'm not totally over this bad habit, but I (and my face) have gotten a lot better.

Also ... cut your nails. Short. Really short.

Good luck, this is a tough one for girls especially. I hope you find a lot of good support here.

Q

thankyou everyone for your help! is there any other tips because - even though the ones you have given me are great and have slightly helped - im stil a lost cause and need more tips to over sum it. Im awful ,and keep getting mad with myself straight after picking! Its really mind boggling! im stuck in a circle and cant get out....

please help! xxxxxxxx

i pick my skin alot too. I'm always picking at my face. Something about seeing tha crap come out makes you feel like its gonna help even though it only makes it worse. I try and wear a necklace or some piece of jewelry so that i keep my hands away from my face. When i'm bored, if i think about putting my hands on my face i immediately start playing with my necklace or go and do something to to keep my hands away and stop thinking about it. Also stay away from mirrors..seeing in the mirror always makes me want to stop and pop anything i can.

I have the solution you need. Simple process.

1:) Go to the acne.org gallery

2:) search for scarred4eva

3:) print those pictures

4:) fold the pics and keep them in your pocket

5:) everytime you feel the urge to pick at a bump, whip out my pics and remmember that my redness and scars were greatly affected as of the result of my "picking" problem... Just don't do it, everytime you're gonna do it just remmember it might not seem like a big deal now, but if you keep doing it alot then it will prolong redness and scarring down the road. If you really have a bad bump which needs to be popped then go to an aesthetician and have them do it safely, they usually charge like 5 bucks or something. JUST SAY NO TO POPPING AND PICKING.

I totally know what you mean! I pick all the time and hate it when I do so, I even tell myself while Im picking that I shouldnt be, but I keep doing so anyways! Just today I started wearing a rubber band on my wrist and everytime I want to pick, I snap it! It sends chills through my body and reminds me to not do it. also keeping your hands busy with something...a worry stone in your pocket, whatever. and I like the idea above of keeping your nails short so it makes it difficult to pick, i think i may go cut my nails right now...