Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BdayGrrl

Differin --What's your opinion?

Hi all.

I went to a new derm recently (after I'd been doing the bp regimen for about a week and already seeing improvement) who prescribed an oral antibiotic and Differin. Now... I am taking the pills, (still doing the bp regimen and still improving) but am terrified of trying the Differin after all the bad reviews I've read of it. BUT! My main problem is w/ clogged pores and blackheads and I hear/read that a retinol is really the only way to go to get rid of those suckas. Has anyone used this effectively?

Lil' history on me:

I'm 34 and prior to a few months ago had been completely clear for 8 (!) years. Before that I had used everything under the sun and finally was prescribed Accutane. Horrible side effects, but I was clear for 8 years after the one course. (sigh)

I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!

Hi all.

I went to a new derm recently (after I'd been doing the bp regimen for about a week and already seeing improvement) who prescribed an oral antibiotic and Differin. Now... I am taking the pills, (still doing the bp regimen and still improving) but am terrified of trying the Differin after all the bad reviews I've read of it. BUT! My main problem is w/ clogged pores and blackheads and I hear/read that a retinol is really the only way to go to get rid of those suckas. Has anyone used this effectively?

Lil' history on me:

I'm 34 and prior to a few months ago had been completely clear for 8 (!) years. Before that I had used everything under the sun and finally was prescribed Accutane. Horrible side effects, but I was clear for 8 years after the one course. (sigh)

Thanks!

I used it in combination with a topical antibiotic (duac gel) for 4 months. I had moderate to severe acne, and it brought it down to mild to moderate acne. I won't take oral antibiotics, so I probably could have gotten clearer if I had, but after 16 weeks I was still breaking out so I switched to retin-a micro (still on duac). I've been on that for 3 months and I still have persistant mild acne...so I guess it's a life sentence for me....

Thanks for responding.

I really hope it starts to work for you. Have you ever tried the topical Klaron? I used to use it and absolutely loved it! (Why my derm didn't prescribe it for me this time I have no idea. :confused: )

Thanks for responding.

I really hope it starts to work for you. Have you ever tried the topical Klaron? I used to use it and absolutely loved it! (Why my derm didn't prescribe it for me this time I have no idea. :confused: )

I can't. I'm severly allergic to sulfonamides. And cyclins, and cephalosporins, etc....this is why antibiotics are a problem for me...

Sometimes I just wish my derm would just say "have you ever though about accutane??"

i had been on retin-a for about a year or so when i went to the derm and told him that it was making my skin red and a little irritated. he then gave me differin to try, b/c he said he was very similar to the retin-a, but less generally less irritating. of course, it broke me out much worse. i asked my new derm why this happened, and he said that although they are similar in effect, they rend to have different responses in people. have you thought about going on accutane once more? 8 yrs of clear skin would be worth it, imo. i would love to, but am a little scared!

I am not a fan ofDifferen. I had mild breakouts, but wanted them gone; so I got on Differen and it made me worse and I kept it up and no results. The only result I had was negative; I have yet to completely regain control of my skin. It has been since the Differen. However, I understand it COULD be a coincidence, but it seems awful interesting that the timing was so around my Differen use.

On a good note, my sister had wonderful results with Differen. Now that she has quit using it; her face is terrible, though. So, once you start, stick with it if it works.

Good luck!

PS I am 28 years old and my sister is 32 years old; so maybe it is an age thing too.

Thanks you guys! I really appreciate the input.

I'm very nervous to try it, but figure if I don't and the blackheads don't go away that the derm won't want to put me on anything else until I DO try it. Ugh! Wish me luck! :pray:

Also.. I just turned 34 so maybe my old age will help in this????? Doubtful, but I can dream, right?

Hi all.

Lil' history on me:

Thanks!

I've always had mild/moderete acne. I used differin twice. Once about three years ago, it improved my acne about 60%. I used it for about a year, and stopped cuz it got expensive. I started using it again about 6 months ago, it improved my acne by about 10-20% (I was only on it for about two months tho). I'm now on accutane, I want to nip this problem in the bud. I was happy with differin though. It took care of all the clogged pores and whiteheads I had, and no IB. It didn't do much for the occasional cyst or garden variety pimple, but it helped with the clogged pores and whiteheads/blackheads. Good Luck!!

I was given Differin from my dermatologist about 7 years go and it did absolutely nothing to clear up my acne! Thankfully I was given samples of this stuff, instead of having to shell out more money for another "useless" acne product!