Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pam32570

Pam's (adult acne, BLECH!!!) log... Back to Green Cream for now...

Edit 4/21/07... Just in case anyone new starts reading this, I have gone through so much crap throughout this log! I settled into a very simple, and fairly inexpensive routine which you can refer to on the last page or two of my log. Bottom line... retinoids work for me! I have been on them for almost a year, and have had consistent success keeping my hormomal adult acne under control. The number one piece of advice I would give is have patience! (and number two, don't keep switching products! )

Ok, I've given in and started a log. I was hoping to get a quick fix, and it didn't happen, so....I'm settling in to a longer term plan.

My Story: My skin has always been horrible. I always dreamed of having clear, smooth, non-oily, radiant skin. I suffered through high school with crappy skin. I had a dermatologist at the time who refused to prescribe me accutane because of my sex - female. By college, my acne was out of control and extremely painful. I went through some serious breakouts that would have been prevented if dermatologist #1 had given me the drug. I now have permanent scars. Thankfully I found a dermatologist that agreed to give me the accutane, and I was cured until my thirties.

It seemed like I woke up one day and all of a sudden I was breaking out bad. What happened? Its all sort of a blur. For years I didn't wash my face at night, didn't change the pillowcase often, wore any old makeup, ate what I wanted, and only suffered the occasional zit or two at period time. All of a sudden I was getting them throughout the month, and I was getting some big deep ones.

Without doing any research, I tried Proactiv. Instant disaster. I got huge zits in places I hadn't in 15 years. My skin felt raw and burning. Along with being acne prone, I also have extremely sensitive skin that is dry and oily. I have huge pores and premature aging. Yuck. So I ditched the Proactiv and started researching.

For now I have settled on a B5 regimen and I'm slowly incorporating Green Cream (a retinol cream). I wish I had posted from day one, but I can summarize what I've done so far.

Feb 10 - 1st day of B5. I started out with 3 grams for two days, 4 grams for two days, 5 grams for two days, then 6 grams. I spread the dosage out to four times a day. I also take 2 B-complex 100's, Fish oil, Vitamin C, and a multivitamin.

I have had side effects if anyone is interested. I started out with headaches, a little fatigue, dry mouth, nausea. These affects weren't all day and have diminished. My oil has reduced so much I have dry skin now after 10 days. My nose is dry inside, my scalp is dry and flaky.

Since day one, I got my first regular sized pimple today. The others have been very tiny and on the surface. This new one is still not as deep as the ones I was getting. I'm undecided how to continue with my dosage of the B5. I'm thinking of decreasing it as I'm able to increase the Green Cream.

Aside from that, I've tried to minimize product usage as much as possible. I've switched to mineral makeup for the most part, but I'm not overly thrilled with it. I use Cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer, and I'm experimenting with emu oil and jojoba oil. I want to go natural and mild, but I'm not thrilled with any of the products I'm using. I don't have better alternatives for now, so I'm hanging in there.

Overall, after all that, my skin isn't doing that great. I have fewer pimples, but the quality of my skin is shit! I know this takes time, but I don't have patience! I'm thinking about posting some pictures, but they are scary :shock:

*edit* started a gallery with a link in my signature. I hope to have improvements and in turn maybe it can help someone with similar skin!

I'm going to try a daily dose of 5 grams of B5 for now. Last night for the first time I washed with the Cetaphil cleanser with NO water. I spread it on my face, and kept wiping with cotton pads. I spread on some more, and wiped it all off. This method is actually an option in the instructions on the bottle. Next I moisturized with the Cetaphil moisturizer, and today my dryness is so much better! Tonight will be my second application of Green Cream (I'm taking it very slowly!!!) It has been 6 days since my first application.

You should be able to ease off the B5 as you ease into the Green Cream ... the GC will eventually take care of the oily skin, especially once you get up to daily usage.

Good luck, hope it all goes well for you!

Q

Yay for logs! Especially adult acne logs, since that's what I have. I don't comment on them often, but it's great to read and see what might work for me if it's working for others!

Welcome to the board, Pam!

Hi, looking forward to reading your progress with the GC. I am like you and never feel satisfied with products I am using so I go out and buy more and more. I am hopeing GC will be the answer. No more buying lastest and greatest and waiting for a miracle. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks so much you guys!! I feel so supported!! Queen, thanks for the links. I had been reading your log, and that's when I thought, 'hey, maybe I should start one!' I just know I'm a good candidate for the green cream. I think it could help anyone if they could just be patient. Its so hard to take it slow! But I know my skin, and its sensitive. I will be so excited once I can start using it every day!!

Last night I decided to start working in jessfoliation. I gave up on it at first because I thought it was too harsh. But I realized that the small zits, and big monster zit I've gotten since on B5 may be due to not enough exfoliation. Also, I had used green cream and didn't exfoliate at all after.

I initially used the "extra soft" oral -b brush head, then like an idiot used a brand new regular brush head. Big mistake. My skin got too irritated and produced even more oil as a result. So I ditched jessfoliation. I tried the soft brush head again last night and this morning my skin is fine!! Not too oily or irritated. Its just right. I also spot treated my monster zit with Neosporin and it really shrunk that sucker! Its on its way to healing today.

I have decided to use the manual brush form of exfoliation rather than scrubs or creams because I feel its more natural. I'm trying to drastically reduce the number of ingredients put on my face. It seems like each product has a long list of unnecessary ingredients.

After researching and reading all the input on this board, this is my new philosophy on how to approach treating my skin:

(I wrote this in a B5 thread, so just copied and pasted the same thing and put it here, rather than typing it all over again.)

This is how I'm approaching my treatment... B5 controls the oil from the inside. I'm using a retinol cream (Green Cream OTC) to also work on the skin from the inside out. It keeps the pores purged (among many other beneficial improvements!) Then for the surface, you need to exfoliate to make sure the flakes don't clog those purging pores. I'm using Jessfoliation for that. As for the bacteria - I'm hoping that addressing these other three issues (Oil, clearing pores, ridding surface debris) will make treating for bacteria needless. After all, the people with normal skin touch their faces, and must have plenty of bacteria on there. Plus, it seems to me that killing facial bacteria could uspet the balance of your skin, because some bacteria is good. If you're not taking care of the oil and clogged pores, using BP is like just treating a symptom, and it can work, but it doesn't get to the root of the problem. I can see how it can get people clear, but its not a permanent solution. Of course this is just a theory but in my gut its going to work for me. It makes sense. So I've gotten off BP for the most part.

Pam, I totally agree with you about BP. It dehydrates the skin so much ... I can't even imagine putting it on my skin now that I'm in my 40s. Anyway, now that you're using Green Cream, you probably won't need BP for anything more than the occasional spot-killer treatment ... and you've got Neo for that anyway ...

Q

Today is day 16 on B5. So far I have just gotten the one monster zit that is pictured in my Gallery, and when I get a chance I'll post a pic of it healed. It healed faster than any zit that big that I've had. Don't know why, but my gut says it was the neosporin. Also, I applied my second application of Green Cream directly on it the other night. Also did Jessfoliation. But it seemed the most dramatically shrunk after putting on the neosporin w/ pain relief.

Current mistakes/side effects: I decided to jessfoliate two nights in a row, which I won't do again for awhile. No damage done, but I could tell it was too much on my skin and made it a little oilier. Even though I used the extra soft oral-b brush head, two nights in a row was too much.

I have had an extremely dry itchy flaky scalp which can only be attributed to the B5. I tried jojoba oil one night on the scalp, and emu oil on another. Cant tell yet which one i like the best yet. I also got a natural scalp treatment shampoo which seems to have helped. That's all for now!

I have had an extremely dry itchy flaky scalp which can only be attributed to the B5. I tried jojoba oil one night on the scalp, and emu oil on another. Cant tell yet which one i like the best yet. I also got a natural scalp treatment shampoo which seems to have helped. That's all for now!

My scalp often itches too (and I'm not even doing the B5 thang). How did you go about applying the oils to the scalp, and did it help?

thanks!

Q

My scalp often itches too (and I'm not even doing the B5 thang). How did you go about applying the oils to the scalp, and did it help?

thanks!

Q

I just got done putting oil on my scalp again. It seems so dry like it has completely stopped producing oil! I need to get this under control because my roots need a touch up bad, and I know my scalp can't handle the chemicals in this condition.

I just part my hair with my fingers a section at a time and apply a few drops of oil from the bottle directly to the roots. I do this at bedtime because it makes your hair greasy! It helps for maybe a day. I don't know if its having any healing effects. Its frustrating!!

Day 17 on B5. Still on 5 grams. No new zits, but I hate declaring that because I'm sure one is going to crop up as soon as I type the words. (by the way, I have coffee every morning, half decaf, and the occasional beer, and the b5 is still working) My skin is looking tired and old, and uneven in every way. I'm prepared for the green cream to make it look worse before it gets better, because it needs to shed those top layers of skin.

Finally, the day I can apply my third application of green cream is here!! I can't wait for tonight! (Talk about starting SLOOOOOOWWWWW). I went 6 days inbetween, then 5, and next I'll go four, etc.

My scalp is still trashed! I'm going to look for the natural conditioner to go with my shampoo I bought. I'm going to try and skip hairspray for a day or two. I wonder if "natural" hairspray" or hair gel, or some sort of fixative, exists? I'm going to check the Vitamin Shoppe today for these products. Oh, also aloe.

I'll post back soon... :D

Day 18 on B5. No new pimples this morning!! I LOVE the way my skin looks and feels the morning after Green Cream. I can't wait until I work up to daily use. My dry scalp is a little better for now.

For a recap - the past few years my skin was mostly clear with 2-4 pimples in mustache area or chin per month, hormone related. ( plus...Oily skin, big pores, uneven tone, sun damage, occasional eczema).

Out of the blue I had more oil and 6-7 active pimples all at once, two were cyst like, very deep! It seemed like I was getting a new spot every day, so that's when I joined here. Anyway, I'm glad to be back to my mostly clear skin for now! I'm actually glad this happened, because now I've discovered other ways to improve my skin, and I can work on those issues as well!

Glad to hear your staying so clear!

I read somewhere you can add emu oil to your shampoo, probably conditioner too for that matter. To help with dry hair and scalp.

Day 20 on B5. Hanging in there with no new pimples. One microscopic whitehead on mustache area, and I'm ovulating anyway, so I'm not panicking over that. I only did 4 grams of the B5 yesterday, my stomach felt crappy last night so I skipped the night dose.

I've been reading tons on the Skin Biology website - click here to check it out. The web design is a bit cheesy, but there's so much good information!! I'm loving how this guy, Dr. Pickart, is into the science behind skin care, not just marketing, or a quick fix. Every ingredient is put into, or not put into a product for a specific benefit based on research. The products are simple and have few ingredients. The emphasis is on using the skin's natural healing processes, rather than covering up and treating outer symptoms of poor skin.

My skin has so many problems, as well as acne, that I'm going to eventually include the principles of skin care on this site into my regimen. I say eventually because I have various products I need to use up, and I can't spend more $ just yet. I'll be both researcher and guinea pig for anyone else also interested in the products.

One new thing I learned from this site is the truth about moisturizing your skin, and what the average drugstore or cosmetic company moisturizer is really doing to your skin! This page is great:

Info on Moisturizing

There's too much info to summarize, but basically, moisturizers (by major cosmetic companies) seem to be designed to give an instant result. Your skin immediately feels and looks better, but the reality of the long term effects are something totally different. It ends up weakening the skin's protective barrier, and can actually inhibit natural skin repair. That's all for now, til next time...

Day 21 on B5. There's a good size bump in my Eyebrow, of all places. At least I won't have to worry about a red mark left behind! No other new pimples! Did the green cream last night. Don't feel any difference this morning. My eyes are looking crappy, and I didn't get enough sleep (those copper peptides are calling me...)

Last night I ordered the gentle cleanser from Skin Biology (off the Diana Yvonne website). She has lots of samples too!! (I gave in on spending more $ already!) I also ordered a sample of the Skin Biology Protect and Restore day cover to use as a sunscreen. It is a non-chemical sunblock, is supposed to help restore the protective 'acid mantle' of the skin, and I think it has copper peptides too.

Here's info on the cleanser: Gentle Clean

*edit* this cleanser ended up being too drying for me. I would highly recommend this for those with non-sensitive skin that feel Cetaphil does nothing.

Here's info on Protect and Restore, as well as good info on sunscreens: Protect and Restore day cover

I like how there are very few ingredients, and the purpose of every ingredient is explained on this page.

*edit* Protect and Restore is excellent for dry skin, but turns out its too comedogenic for those with acne prone skin...the search continues...

Also, after reading all that stuff on moisturizers, I decided to go totally natural and ditch even the cetaphil gentle moisturizer. I'm hoping to finally stop my skin's cycle of ongoing irritation, redness, dry/oily, eczema, etc. etc.!! and hopefully promote my skin's own healing properties! So I switched to Aloe (100% pure,organic) and emu oil. I've been squirting the aloe into my palm, rubbing hands together, then apply all over face in a thin layer. Then I spot treat the dry/sensitive areas with a few drops of emu oil. The aloe seems to help the emu oil absorb, and helps dilute the 'oiliness' of it. Initially, a few days ago, I tried to make a mixture of the aloe and emu oil, and it was horrible!! The two just don't mix! The oil seems to only want to stick to the sides of the bottle. But its amazing how well they work together when applied one after the other.

Pam- good tip on the aloe. I have thought about using before. I should help with red marks too.

Hmmmm, I think I have a sample of the Protect & Restore Day Cover floating around my drawer somewhere. I'll give it a try and we can compare notes. :)

Hmmmm, I think I have a sample of the Protect & Restore Day Cover floating around my drawer somewhere. I'll give it a try and we can compare notes. :)

Sounds good! So glad I got just the sample first...you never know how its going to work w/ makeup, etc. Wait, you don't wear makeup, do you?? How do you do it?

Bobbi - yeah, I'm loving the aloe!! I keep it in the fridge too, and its so refreshing. Doesn't smell the greatest, though, but that's what we get for going natural, I guess :rolleyes:

Update - I finally got some peeling from the green cream, Yay!! Its minor, meaning I have to look close up in the mirror to see it, but I know its working!! I think after this weekend I'm going to move up to every other night.

I'm very, very weak....I ordered some mineral makeup samples. (Shopping online is TOO easy!!) They're Pure Luxe, and I was so thrilled that the samples are only 1.00. I previously ordered mineral makeup from Larenim, and the samples were 4.00 each!! I didn't even like the foundation colors after spending 25 bucks. All I can say so far is the Pure Luxe website is great!! The photos of the color samples are clear and vibrant. They give the ingredients listing for every product. They even have all natural lip gloss. The prices are awesome (even the brushes), and the shipping is cheap!! (Can you tell I get excited when I have a happy shopping experience?) I'm hoping the products live up to my expectations.

That's all for now...tonight its jessfoliation and my moisture combo of aloe and emu oil.

Another morning w/ no new pimples. This is becoming too good to be true, and its got to be the B5. I won't be totally convinced until I go through an entire menstrual cycle. I used to get a few zits while ovulating, and I'm escaping that so far except for the eybrow one, strange.

Eyebrow zits hurt!! :mad:

That' great the B5 is working so well for you. I tried it a while back but never really saw any results. So :clap: for you!

Applied Green Cream tonight. I'm starting every other day now on level three. On the off days it'll be jessfoliation at night.

I tried two new products from Skin Biology today that arrived in the mail. I'm not going to make an immediate decision yet as to whether I like them. I'll post a review in a few days or longer.

I do have to mention that I was pleased with how well the Protect and Restore day cover absorbed into the skin, and worked just fine under mineral makeup.

One small new spot next to my nose, not a typical trouble area. Maybe purging?

Nothing else to report, til next time...