Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FenderBender

Is vitamin b5 supplementation dangerous?

It's not going to kill you, but if you care about your health, IMO, you shouldn't do it.

Anyway, I honestly think it made my acne worse in the long run (although I had an initial reduction in oil and breakouts).

well....yeah i definatley care about my health lol. I just suffer alot of the symptoms of vitamin b5 defiency i think, and am interested to see how it'll work.

Lots of people have had results on 5 grams, 2 grams, or even 1 gram, as opposed to the 10 grams in the study. On my bottle of 500 mg capsules, it says to take one per day. One gram is simply doubling that, I can't see it being too harmful. It wouldn't hurt to try a small dose.

I don't think it is dangerous, but if there is any doubt, leave it out. There has been no long-term study on the effects of B5 (in the course of years as opposed to a few months).

But even I wouldn't recommend 10g/day. 6g/day max IMO.

Taking huge megadoses of ANY vitamin is a great Journey Into the Unknown. There's no telling what's liable to happen to you. I wouldn't do it, myself.

BTW, there's no such thing as "B5". The vitamin is called pantothenic acid. The term "B5" is just something made-up up by lay people. Doctors and scientists don't use that.

Bryan

This is my first post. B5 saved my face (though I have heavy scars and pore damage). I've been megadosing on B5 since October 2003 (It's March 2006 now). Everyday I take about 15 grams of B5 and it works like a charm. I've had acne since I was 14 now 30 and I'm talking about real serious acne, the kind that didn't go away after a few years. If it wasn't for B5 I would be breaking out majorly till 50 years plus.

I finally figured out that I was born with two problems that caused my severe acne. My body has a terrible time metabolizing oil and my face sheds dead skin like no one I've even known. Put those 2 together and you have the perfect breeding ground for Mr. P. Acne.

The B5 did exactly what the research has indicated, mainly controlling that oil. I know for me it works. Before B5 my oil was uncontrollable. I could literally feel oil wanting to come out of my pores within 15 minutes of eating a meal. I've only had one negative side effect with the B5 regimen. Weight gain. B5 has controlled my acne so well that I feel like I have a carte blanche to eat anything that I desire, so I've gained a lot weight.

For me B5 alone gave me 80-90% improvement and I also use regular old Oxy 10 to treat the topical. I'm thinking of trying the Clear Skin Regimen instead of just Oxy 10. For me B5 didn't give me 100% clarity is because of the severity of my case and the fact that I eat all kinds of junk. Just to give you an example. Recently I ate half of an XLarge Pizza and drank 3/4 of a 2 Litre Coke at one sitting. Without the B5 my skin would have been oozing in oil after a meal like that, but now, it's like it's not even a problem. All I can say is B5 is amazing. The easiest regimen I've ever used that works.

Unlike others I don't take the pill form, I take the powder form. 1 heaping teaspoon 3x a day. B5 powder taste horrible, that's why many would rather take pills, so here's a tip...take a swill of water and then pour that heaping teaspoon of B5 and let it float on top of the water (B5 is floating on water so it's not resting on your tongue, no contact = no bitter taste) Now take your second gulp of water to wash the whole thing down. Easy. 3xs a day. The B5 I buy is NOW brand 100% Pantothenic Acid Powder 8oz. I buy it from www.vitaglo.com. I buy it 5 bottles at a time and it cost less than $60 free shipping no tax. 5 bottles last about 3-4 months.

I have much more to say about my experience with acne, how it affected my life, things I've learn, things I'm learning. How I thought about suicide every day for 3 years in high school. How acne has totally warped my mind and my social life and my self worth. How it's still hindering my life today. I could write a book, but I won't bore you guys. Thanks for reading. Take care.

It's not going to kill you, but if you care about your health, IMO, you shouldn't do it.

Anyway, I honestly think it made my acne worse in the long run (although I had an initial reduction in oil and breakouts).

agreed. I have done it and it is TOO RADICAL. It is not a healthy way of curing skin, it is trying to overload the body to force it to shut off oil production.

No good.

Start taking a healthy approach to skin care

I don't even really know what a healthy approach is really. Like, i've tried EVERYTHING for my skin....and i still have acne on my face, uper back, chest, and even my forearms. One thing that has helped is taking omega 3,6, and 9 tablets, and that helps make my face less oily thus reducing my acne. I don't even know where to go from here, i'm so frustrated...

I did the b5 thing months ago.

my dosage was sometimes up to 14g!

10g didn't work for me.....saw a small change with 14g but it's damn not worth the money!

I don't had side effects even with 14g but just like I said: B5 didn't wok for me.