Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys great board first of all and I'm happy to be a part of it.

Ok on to my little issue. I'm male, 25 and I suddenly started breaking out on my forehead right by my hairline about 2 weeks ago. So at first I did the normal thinking to get to the root of the problem. Diet, sleep patterns, hygiene routine. I was baffled. I work out regularly, I'm a health nut, I eat a very clean diet except for the occasional splurge and the only bad thing I do is I go out and party 2x a week. Even so, I'd never broke out on my forehead, especially right by my hairline.

I'm from Southern California and the weather here has been quiet weird lately. Hot as hell one day, then windy and cold (by California standards) the next day. I've noticed that my skin is overly dry lately on my forehead and around my jawline.

So some internet research and digging had led me to believe my shampoo/conditioner was the problem. I have a shaved head, so there is really no reason for me to shampoo daily and my cousin who works for a popular haircare line use to always tell us its not necessary to shampoo your hair everyday anyways. So I stopped shampooing my hair for the past 3 days (kinda gross) and I haven't got one new pimple on my forehead/hairline and all the existing ones have flatten to the point where there's only the post blemish "mark" left. So here's my question. What's the best shampoo/conditioner to use? I've read all about panethol, sodium lauryl sulphate and sodium laureth sulphate. However the interesting thing was I've been using the same shampoo/conditioner for the past 3-4 months without any forehead breakouts. It was just sudden. So the only other explaination I can think of is excessive shampooing. I was shampooing daily, sometimes twice because I'd go to the gym at night.

Here's my skin care routine:

Morning: Wash face with St.Ives Apricot Scrub, apply Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer

Night: Wash face with Pro-activ and apply thin layer of 2.5% benzoyl peroxide.

I take plenty of vitamins (health nut remember..:D) (Ester C, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Vitamin E, B-5 and a good Multi-vitamin) and I drink at least half a gallon of water every day. I also sit in the steam room 2-4x a week after I work out and have found that to be very beneficial for my skin. I also take Flax-seed Oil and drink Green Tea a few times a week.

So I found a lot of people recommending Johnson's Baby Shampoo and others recommending Dandruff Shampoo. I wouldn't say I have dandruff but because of this dry windy weather my scalp does itch a little.

Anyways here are my questions:

-I'm 95% sure my forehead breakout was due to over-shampooing/conditioning. I'm going to get a new shampoo but which one? I'm leaning towards the Johnson's.

-In your experiences how much does weather effect your skin? I did have bad skin when I around 19-20 and took one low dosage course of Accutane which cleared it right up and I've only had the occassional pimple ever since then.

-How often do you moisturize?? I usually only moisturize once a day but I'm thinking of doing twice since the weather's been so weird.

If you guys have any other tips I'd really appreciate it. Even though the breakout was mild, I started to freak out thinking that I'd have to re-live my teen years in my 20's.

Thanks for input

Sunny

Hi Sunny,

Sorry about your problem. I use the shampoo/cleanser and conditioner from Magick Botanicals. It was designed for people with chemical sensitivities, but has really helped to clear up my hairline.

Shampoo ingredients: Purified Water, Cocomydopropylbetaine, Alpha Olefin Sulfonate, Cocomide MEA, Panthenol, Germaben, Fragrance Free.

Conditioner ingredients: Purified Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetrimide BP, Germaben, Fragrance Free.

If you can't order online I found the Tresemme products had very little fragrance.

I moisturize twice a day (each time after I wash my face).

Hairline breakout makes me think it would be the shampoo, if that's the case, there's no use worrying about everything else. Just switch shampoos and that will likely take care of the problem. I'm sorry I can't recommend a shampoo, I've never had to switch mine. Just maybe look and see if there's any fragrances. I would think a Johnson's shampoo would be gentle enough.

Weather...I think I have more trouble with my face in the summer than in the winter, but the changes aren't really that drastic for me.

I don't moisturize at all. But I have oily skin and I'm not using any acne treatments, so I don't need to.

Hairline breakout makes me think it would be the shampoo, if that's the case, there's no use worrying about everything else. Just switch shampoos and that will likely take care of the problem. I'm sorry I can't recommend a shampoo, I've never had to switch mine. Just maybe look and see if there's any fragrances. I would think a Johnson's shampoo would be gentle enough.

Weather...I think I have more trouble with my face in the summer than in the winter, but the changes aren't really that drastic for me.

I don't moisturize at all. But I have oily skin and I'm not using any acne treatments, so I don't need to.

Thanks for the advice so far. Its nothing bad at all, it just that I never ever ever get a pimple on my forehead, I mean I could rub my face in bacteria and still not get one...(ok probably not but you get the idea). That's why it was a such a shock to me when I suddenly started breaking out.

The reason I also mentioned weather in my analysis is the sudden skin dryness I'm expierencing. My skin is suddenly very dry!! So I'll just switch it out to the Johnson's Baby Shampoo and see what happens.

Any more tips would be great.

Sunny

If you have a shaved head why do you shampoo anyway? My Boyfriend used to always shave his head and he'd just wash it with whatever soap he washed his body with.