Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
braveheart

Anyone completely clear?

i was just wondering if anyone had discovered a regimen, a hormone, a peel, a pill and anything that has them so damn happy they have to shout it to the world. it's probably been said alreay a million times, but i will say it anyway... i've done everything! the oxy-10, clearasil, clean and clear, neutragena, zapzyt, cetaphil, basic, murad, proactiv, acne-free, retin-a, tetracycline, nature's cure, dermablend, dan's plan, three dermatologists later you name it, i've tried it, outside of accuane. which i refuse to take because of the side effect. not ready to jack up my system for child bearing, but got damn near close to heading to the derm to request it. just too risky...

anyway, now that i got the rant out of the way... is there anyone out there that have maintained a regimen, internal and external, that has kept you as clear as you prayed for or close to it for a long period of time? please shed some light on us. we'd appreciate it. i'm a grown-up suffering from an adolescent face! let me know!!!

*raises hand*

Accutane totally cleared me up, but it didn't last. So now I"m using Dan's regimen and it keeps me clear.

yeah, i've talked to a few women who used accutane and said that it cleared them up COMPLETELY... for a while and then they broke out all over again. but it's not really an option for me. i'm not interested in the side effects. the women i talked to said they got depressed, lost hair that kind of thing. and the whole liver thing scares me. plus i don't have insurance, and paying $500 a month out of pocket ain't my idea of fun. thanks so much for the input.

yea, I did experience depression while on it, but no other side effects.

At least now my skin is much more manageable than before Accutane.

I see you mentioned trying Dan's regimen, how long were you on it?

Hi Braveheart,

Don't know what your situation is exactly and everyone's different but I'm 30 now (groan) - was on Dianette for 9 years for moderate acne and it worked pretty well - I used to have about 3-5 small spots at any one time so bearable. I came off it six months ago and my skin exploded so bad my dermatologist wanted to put me on accutane - tried everything topical and anti-biotics to no avail - then i came on this board and found out about Spironolactone (huge thread somewhere if youre interested). I have been on 150 mg for about 6 weeks and have cleared up so fast - from about 20 active spots, to less than 4 tiny ones and no cysts at all since starting it. I have high hopes things may get even better and its certainly been faster than Dianette...Might be worth checking out? :rolleyes:

i was just wondering if anyone had discovered a regimen, a hormone, a peel, a pill and anything that has them so damn happy they have to shout it to the world.

Actually, yes. Here's mine. (I think I may have just posted the same info to another thread you were on!)

Green Cream

There are Green Cream threads in the OTC and Red Marks forums right now, plus I've been keeping a regimen log since I started with it (see link in my signature). Lots of good info there, and you are more than welcome to PM me if you have questions.

Q

hey brandy,

i tried dan's regimen for about 2 and a half weeks. i normally have really oily skin, so i thought it would be a good match to dry out the skin. two days in my face felt like the back of a leather belt. you know, the side that you wear against your jeans? it was horrible. but to keep the faith, i continued.

after the 2 and a half weeks, when i smiled, i looked like a 70 year old woman, and i'm 24! the cracks in my face around my cheeks and mouth were amazing. it got to the point where i was slathering on more moisturizer than BP. it took about two weeks after that to gain the elasticity back. i really wish it had worked. but i felt if i kept it up any longer, people were gonna think i was dug up from a grave.

mae30, i haven't read the posts on spironolactone, but i did do a google serach on it. it looks kinda iffy for me, but that's of course without adequate research. i'm assuming you have read reports of it causing tumors in laboratory studies with animals and is typically used for patients with high blood pressure and other uses include women with hormonal facial hair. not much info about it for acne. but if it works, cool beans.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginf...er/a682627.html

i've been doing some research on b5 supplements. LOTS of posts here on the board as well as medical studies and other documentaion. any adults here try that?

I am, I'm using 5% quinoderm, pretty much following the regimen but with Quinoderm in place of dan's gel, as I find it less irritating.

Though it's only 2 weeks, so time will tell...

Hi Braveheart,

Don't know what your situation is exactly and everyone's different but I'm 30 now (groan) - was on Dianette for 9 years for moderate acne and it worked pretty well - I used to have about 3-5 small spots at any one time so bearable. I came off it six months ago and my skin exploded so bad my dermatologist wanted to put me on accutane - tried everything topical and anti-biotics to no avail - then i came on this board and found out about Spironolactone (huge thread somewhere if youre interested). I have been on 150 mg for about 6 weeks and have cleared up so fast - from about 20 active spots, to less than 4 tiny ones and no cysts at all since starting it. I have high hopes things may get even better and its certainly been faster than Dianette...Might be worth checking out? :rolleyes:

Hey Mae30,

How did your doctor react when you explained what you wanted this drug for, was he/she happy to prescribe it to you? And, have you suffered with any of the side effects that are mentioned?

hi, ive got mild acne and am completely clear right now. previously tried MANY things, including dans regimen which gave me horrible wrinkles.. jessfoliatin made me break out worse than i ever have... just finished getting over that...

right now i am washing with cetaphil bar soap for sensitive skin, then using neutrogena healthy skin lotion which has glycolic acid in it (get the no spf kind for sensitive skin). after it dries, a few mins, i use pro activ bp lotion, plenty of it. i am clearer than i've been in a really long time. very excited about it too. im 25. i also occasionally use the neutrogena clear pore treatment in place of bp lotion. about once a week, i will exfoliate with the toothbrush or body brush as jessfoliation suggests, but i do it ONLY on active pimple to make it heal faster which works. (i suggest doing it very carefuly if you want to try your whole face. the electric toothbrush was way too much for my face. worst break out ever with that.) right now i've got NO active pimples. also, i am using neutrogena build a tan FOR FACE (dont use body on the face, ive done that) a few times a week and that makes me tan. my face looks great!!

I have mild acne that flare up the week before my period if I'm not on the right combination of medication (yasmin & tazorac) and supplements (mulivitamins & zinc). I'm basically clear now. Haven't had a pimple in over 3 weeks and I feel none coming eventhough it's that time of the month.

My problem is, I want to get pregnant by summer. :ninja:

Hey Mae30,

How did your doctor react when you explained what you wanted this drug for, was he/she happy to prescribe it to you? And, have you suffered with any of the side effects that are mentioned?

I'm just coming off accutane a few weeks ago and am pretty much 100% clear; however, as we've seen with others on this board, it's not a sure-thing that I'll stay this clear long-term. I'm on Tazorac and Yasmin now for maintenance.

I think you gotta bite the bullet and try accutane. Im 22 and just finished a 6 month accutane course and my skin is PERFECT. I had an opportunity to go on accutane when i was 18 when my acne started and i said no to it - this is one of the biggest regrets i have becuase i missed out on alot due to my insecurity that i developed due to having bad acne. Oh yeah scars too.

I am 100% clear after many years of acne. :dance:

Jessner’sPeels

Seabuckthorn Oil for night treatment

Jess exfoliation, night and morning

UVA/UVB brush powder

Trying some things for scars now.

I am also off the yasmin for 3 months now.

If you don't count blackheads and whitheads, then Diane 35 with applying SA tree times aday has got me completely clear. But then i went on this whole, 'I don't want to take oral medications' thing. So now I am on retin-a micro....still waiting to be clear again.

My problem is, I want to get pregnant by summer. :ninja:

I can be completely clear for about three weeks at a time (aside from some fading redmarks and slight scarring). I'm currently using retin-a micro 0.04% and duac gel. I'm also on tri-nessa (generic orthotricyclen). I break out exactly half way through the week of the dark blue pills (highest progestin level). I have a feeling this is a result of the placebo week (no anti-androgenic progestin). My breakout occurs about 3 weeks after my placebo week, which makes sense since acne lesions take a few weeks to develop....If I could just skip that damn placebo week and go straight to a new pack....I'd probably be fine....but you can't take tri-phasic BCP's continoiusly. I've tried. I spot all month long and get a little moody and kinda loopy from the shifts in hormone levels.....

Maybe I'll switch to a monophasic pill.....

Or I could just try to get my stupid derm to agree to let me do a course of accutane.....since when I do have my scheduled monthly break out, I usually get a few small pustules but I also occasionally get monstrous cysts that scar.... :(

I'm actually off to the derm later today to get a monster injected.....My face is totally clear (just started a new pack of pills), but I have a lingering cyst on my cheek that won't go away for 6-8 weeks unless I have it injected.....this motherf*cker better not scar....

it's good to hear that a lot of you are 100% clear. makes me wonder why you visit the board. is it to inspire the rest of us, which would be GREAT, or because even though you're clear, because you've had acne for so long you're still so connected. which is also kinda nice.

i am on a new regimen since i started this topic. you can see it in the signature. thanks go to Queen of the Hills for speaking up about green cream. i've only been on it about a week, level 3, alternating every other night with mama lotion. both of these products made my skin peel a bit the first couple days. but i think my skin was so tough after the battle with bp my skin welcomed the smoothness of the other topicals and only peeled for a couple days instead of a few weeks like the bottles warn!

status: i did get the initial "purging" from the GC. but it wasn't anything like other prescription crap that make you breakout horribly. i very rarely get blackheads or small pimples. they are usually all whiteheads and large under-the-skin bumps that are red and hurt. so i knew when i got like 4 blackheads, it had to be the GC. i'll take the small ones over the whiteheads any day! but all of them are gone now. my skin does feel quite a bit smooother, and i only got one under-the-skin bump two days ago. but today i can feel and see that it is shrinking down before it even reaches the surface to become a whitehead like the rest of them. it seems the mama lotion is doing its job as well at keeping the bump from making a dark spot on my face. good deal. only a week in, we have to give it more time. let's see how it goes the week before that time of the month which is about three weeks from now...

accutane still scares the east be-jesus out of me. i want to be clear, crystal clear SOOO badly. but i dunno if i want to start jacking up my system to the extent of the side efftect on this drug. more power to you all who can do it. but it's funny, only ONE derm office in the whole city of cincinnati will prescribe it. no one else will touch the stuff. it that's not scary, i dunno what is. plus since i graduated college in december i don't have insurance to pay for it, even if i wanted it. ah well. i'll keep you posted on the results of the new regime.

Hi there,

I am 24 (going on 25) and I've had to deal with acne since I was a teenager, but it got worse when I was around 23 and so it's only recently that I figured out a regimen that's been effective to manage my acne.

So here it is and I alternate between the two day system:

Day 1:

Morning: wash with warm water (sometimes use cetaphil), let dry for about a minute, use neosporin if there's any kind of bump that's red/inflamed, use ScarZone on red marks or scars that I want to protect (ScarZone is mainly a high level of sunscreen), wait a minute, apply cetaphil spf 15 daily moisterizer ALL over face.

When get home from work: wash off makeup, apply Neutrogena Healthy Skin lotion (the one w/o sunscreen).

Evening: Use soft bristle toothbrush to GENTLY/LIGHTLY exfoliate with cetaphil cleanser, wash off, wait 1 minute, moisterize with Neutrogena healthy skin lotion.

Day 2:

Do same morning and after work routine as Day 1.

Evening: do everything the same, except when you get to the moisterizer part, moisterize with cetaphil (non-sunscreen) moisterizer (not too much), wait a minute, apply BenzaClin (5%) thinly on face.

So I alternate every day with this system.

EVERY DAY: Drink green tea.

EVERY OTHER DAY: Take a complete multivitamin (I take centrum), and drink cranberry juice.

MAKE-UP: I wear very little because I think I look better with less, but of course I could use some coverage. I go for tinted moisterizers or press powders - the key for me is just a thin application, don't layer it on.

OCCASIONALLY: Sometimes I use the baking soda and apple cider vinegar exfoliation, but it does take up some time for me, so it's about once a week only.

Lastly, I am also taking birth control pills (but it wasn't meant for acne; however it has worked quite well) - Ortho Tricyclen. No negative reactions to it at all.

So now, :dance: , my face is smooth, clear, not inflamed, soft, and I look more vibrant (not dull from acne-plagued skin).

Good luck to everyone, it really does take time to figure out the right regimen. But what I truly believe in is be gentle and simple with your skin.

I break out exactly half way through the week of the dark blue pills (highest progestin level). I have a feeling this is a result of the placebo week (no anti-androgenic progestin). My breakout occurs about 3 weeks after my placebo week, which makes sense since acne lesions take a few weeks to develop....If I could just skip that damn placebo week and go straight to a new pack....I'd probably be fine....but you can't take tri-phasic BCP's continoiusly.

That sounds similar to what I had going on when I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen and RAM before 'tane. Only, I'd end up breaking out towards the middle of the lighter blue week and the acne would last/sometimes worsen up to the week of my period, where I'd get a little clearer. However, the acne I'd get on the sides of my chin would take about two weeks to go away and they'd leave red marks. So, it was a continuous cycle. I'm on Yasmin now, but I've only been on it for a few weeks, so I don't know how much of an effect it's going to have for me long-term. Plus, I just came off 'tane, so I'm clear.

You might want to consider a monophasic, but I'd try to get the 'tane. IF you're scarring, you need it. So far, it's been the best thing I could have done for my face. I'm just hoping the results last.

Hi, I'm new to this board and just joined today. I too suffer from adult acne (44 yrs. old) I have been using a form of Dan's regimen for the past 4 weeks and have experienced good success. Prior to this, I had a ton of bumps on my cheeks and whiteheads on my forehead. Since being on my new regimen, the bumps are going away, leaving clear smooth skin. I have experienced mild outbreaks (1-2 bumps on each cheek and several new pimples on my chin) but I can see that the bp is cleaning and clearing the skin. I use baby soap, exfoliate with washcloth, bp and then Olay moisterizer for sensitive skin. I have had to be patient, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am learning that patience is the key. I have read where others start to see improvement within a week, having clear skin within a couple of weeks. This has not been the case with me. I had a lot of clogged pores and as the skin goes through its cycle of renewing and sloughing off, the bp is working to clean the skin and keep it clear. Don't give up. It will work.

it's good to hear that a lot of you are 100% clear. makes me wonder why you visit the board. is it to inspire the rest of us, which would be GREAT, or because even though you're clear, because you've had acne for so long you're still so connected. which is also kinda nice.

accutane still scares the east be-jesus out of me. i want to be clear, crystal clear SOOO badly. but i dunno if i want to start jacking up my system to the extent of the side efftect on this drug. more power to you all who can do it.

I stick around because I'm used to it. Plus, it was nice to get support from those who were going through the same thing. And, I want to keep people updated on my experiences, post-'tane. These are all the main reasons why I've kept coming here.

Accutane can be scary, and it is a harsh drug, but once you've tried everything else and are still not clear it's really the only thing that can give you some kind of absolute clarity where your skin is concerned. In my experience, it was just a matter of your body adjusting to the medication. The dry skin, lips, and nostrils were annoying but bearable. A lot of the scariness is hype. Certainly, there are the unfortunate few who get the really bad side effects, but they are few in number.

Hope your green cream ritual works out for you. I was thinking about trying the MaMa Lotion. Do you like it? Is it evening out your skin tone?

i am on a new regimen since i started this topic. you can see it in the signature. thanks go to Queen of the Hills for speaking up about green cream. i've only been on it about a week, level 3, alternating every other night with mama lotion. both of these products made my skin peel a bit the first couple days. but i think my skin was so tough after the battle with bp my skin welcomed the smoothness of the other topicals and only peeled for a couple days instead of a few weeks like the bottles warn!

Braveheart, that's great! I'd love to hear your opinion of the Linda Sy products, too. I am using her VitaOil but that's it for the moment.

I would say I'm 99% clear. For the first time, I've avoided my usual pre-menstrual breakout; if I don't get chin pimples when my period actually does start, I'll know I've dodged the bullet for this month and am really truly clear at last.

Anyway, I'm such a Green Cream fan, I've become something of a retinol evangelist and that's why I'm around the board so much. Also I find my maternal instinct kicking in; there are all these poor kids on here with prescription treatments and NO idea what they are doing. I'd like to smack all their doctors a good one.

Q

it's good to hear that a lot of you are 100% clear. makes me wonder why you visit the board.

I hate to drop the bomb :ninja:

But once you are clear it’s not over. You now have to deal with maintenance, red marks and scars.

it's good to hear that a lot of you are 100% clear. makes me wonder why you visit the board.

I hate to drop the bomb :ninja:

But once you are clear it’s not over. You now have to deal with maintenance, red marks and scars.

Yeah, that's true, too. Even though I'm done with 'tane, it's not written in stone that I'll never have acne again. I'm on Tazorac and Yasmin for maintenance, and I want to be able to share with those who are on 'tane or considering it if I've had long-term success. So many who are on these boards complain about the fact that people who end up having long-term clearing don't stay on to update. Hopefully, I'll be one who does experience the long-term benefits!!