Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I see on this board that a lot of people with oily skin have had great experiences and success with Vitamin B5. Are those that are taking it and seeing results still using a moisturizer?

I use Differin and Glycolic Acid at night, switching between the two each night, and they do dry out my skin a little so I have to use a moisturizer. I am using Cetaphil's Moisturizer as well as their face wash in the shower... would I be able to cut back on all the medications if the B5 works beause I think the root of my acne is from my oily skin.

I did one cycle of Accutane in college for 5 months and that helped get rid of the deep, cystic acne I used to get but now I still get breakouts on a smaller scale.

hey man i really hope you get this if you already didnt find a solution for your oily skin. i have the same problem to man. ive heard of a product called ketsugo. its a lotion you spray on your face and what it does is it treats your sebus glands so your production of oil normalizes. its good for people with oily skin. ive been on it for a few days now it takes about 3 weeks or more depending on how oily your skin is. ill try to keep you updated if i see you replied to this message. try to do some research and learn about it and by then ill let you know how its working for me. its seems really promising and its not expensive at all.

Thanks for the reply. Have you tried the Vitamin B? Would you recommend one over the other? I like the idea of taking pills because I'm so sick of putting so much crap on my face! What have you heard about the Ketsugo? Any good results? Thanks for the help!

I tried ketsugo a long time ago and i didnt like it at all, i really hate putting stuff on my face even if it is a spray. I have been on B5 3 days now and i have noticed the oil on my face decrease. I normally have really oily skin but its becoming more less. Ill keep yo posted about how i get on with it. :)

HI! I'm new here...just wanted to jump in! I have been using B5 for about 3 months. I have noticed less oil...but I live in TX and it's so hot right now, that I'm still too oily. :) I think it will be much better when the weather cooperates!

I bought it at Wal-Mart. I know you can get it at WholeFoods or any healthfood store. I believe vitacost.com has some too.

Have a great day!

Ang

I want to find whoever has the highest amount of mg per pill so I'm not poppin' 100 pills a day. I tried the Acne Miracle website but they said they're not taking any new customers!

Ive been taking a B Complex vitamin, doesnt have B5...unless its known under some other name, like some vitamins are...

Don't get your hopes up about B5. Regardless of what some people say, there ARE side effects, some of which are very unpleasant. Is B5 an acne "cure"? I would say, "no". If B5 is so great, where are all of the further studies? Are we just supposed to go with some Chinese researcher's paper? Call me cynical, but it wouldn't surprise me if that paper is BS. Look at the market for B5 powders and capsules that one research paper has created.

P.S. - Please correct me if I am wrong about there only being one research paper.

B5 is tricky. I've used it twice. First time I was taking 10g with no B-complex for 2 months. Acne stopped, but I still got tons of blackheads, then I stopped and broke out with cysts so I tried going back on this time taking a B complex. Never stopped breaking out for a month with these little tiny whiteheads that I never had before. Between the two times I took B5 it was about 2 weeks. So, I dunno, I thought it was the cure, but I got knocked off my high horse a long time ago. And the B5 didn't do anything in terms on reducing oil. If it did it was barely noticable.

I need to post a correction... I wrote that B5 had been working for me. OOPS! Just looked at the bottle today. I'm taking B6! Sorry!

Ang

hey JAE how's the ketsugo working? i'm thinking about ordering it but it doesn't seem like many people have tried it. is it sticky? and is there alcohol in it?

what's the difference between B5 and B6? which one is niacinamide and which one is pantothenic acid?

If you do take it, I'd highly recommend taking JUST the B5. I am just killing time till mine comes in the mail.

I only take B5 and its working great so far, only physical change so far is that i dont get the massive cysts and my oil level has dropped so much o/ :D oh and its only been 6 days.

Hey guys! I think the people currently on B5 should listen very closely. I started taking B5 Calcium Pantothenic Acid a couple of months ago (20g a day) and I noticed an immediate clear up of my acne, 95% clear now. A couple of weeks ago though I started getting really bad side effects, the runs, dizziness, insomnia etc ...

So i decided to go and get more info on them at my pharmacist. She rang somewhere, and about 5 minuted later she told me that I had to stop taking them immediately because it was causing me long term damage and apparently the calcium was effecting my eyes. I was pretty shocked to hear this and I believed her at the time but i'm not so sure anymore.

I've checked loads of vitamin info sites and I can't find any of this stuff there so i'd thought I'd bring it here. Does anyone know about this? :-k

b5 is not all it's hyped up to be.

i took it for a logn time, like 4 months actually

after awhile i got side effects, insomnia being one of them

then the effects of the b5 just suddenly stopped. pimples came back.. lots and LOTS of people experience this.

I swear i get none of these dreaded side effects at all! Especially not insomnia! I've been taking it for months, it just doesn't bother me at all. But, I have gotten a zit every so often...

i just ordered 300g of b5 from acnemiracle....im going to give them a second chance..they better not screw up my order again...

anyway..i bought a bunch of supplements to take with it..

CVS Fish Oil Concentrate 1000mg

NAture Made Vitamin E 200 I.U.

Nature Made B Complex with Vitamin C (the only Vitamin B listed in its ingredients is B6...is this enough? or should i buy one with more like B75?)

CVS NAtural Vitamin A 10,000 IU USP

and finally a CVS Multivitamin

now...all of these direct me to take one daily with a meal...except the fish oil says to take 3 a day...do i really need to take the fish oil 3 times day?

and is it good to take them all at once? or should i spread them out? and should i take some with b5? cause i heard you should take b5 by itself....

and are all these supplements necessary?

finally...does taking the multivitamin make sense? because many of the vitamins that i take separately such as A and E are included in the multivitamin..so should i take them again anyway by themselves?

thanks for any help

Hey man, do you know that B5 can cause serious long-term kidney damage ?!? And taking large amounts daily slowly kills your kidney !! 8-[ I just found this out at the doctors. She told me that if I had to take it keep it to small dosages or check out a cosmetic store and ask the experts in there.

From what I understand, there have been no long-term studies of doses of B5 over 2g/day. I'm curious what the doctor was basing that on? Pantethine is also something one could try at lower doses (<1g).

I'm gonna take a stab here and say it depends what kind of B5 you are taking. If you are taking D-Calcium pananthonate then maybe. But I believe that the Acne miracle B5 is "PURE" B5 as they say. So I don't think it has any calcium or what have you (most pills of B5 that you buy in the store have a little calcium added to it because of the acidity of B5 the combo works quite well.) I am not sure, I will e-mail them. Either way, you are going to go on accutane or go on B5. Choose your poisin. I took 10g of B5 for 2 months and didn't get any side effect. In fact I felt better than ever (my althelte foot became less and less.). Also, note, I took B5 before I took acne miracle b5 and yes these were B5 pills with calcium. Though I added up and taking 10g of B5 gave me 100% calcium. But combined with my healthy diet, it was definitely too much and I did get headaches etc. Not sure about the kidney thing. Yes, maybe in the first 2-3 months when you are taking 10g or what have you. But once you slow it down a bit and regulate it, you should be fine. Better than accutane. At least you got two kidneys :D .

Also I was just thinking and would like to add this thought. So you are taking huge amounts of B5. First off B5 is non toxic. It isn't stored in your bodies. It's also water soluble. So it's basically water when in the body. I am having trouble seeing the difference excreeting B5 and drinking tons of water which will make you pee a lot.

Also for those who took b5 and it stopped working later, you have to lower the dosage SLOWLY. Maintenance dosage is different for everyone and you should slowly lower it by week, as it takes time to see the B5 effects.

So it's basically water when in the body.

Not that I want to get into this played out debate, but this quote made me chuckle.

B5 is NOT basically water in the body just because it's water soluble. All that means is that the kidneys will work to excrete all the extra B5 that is consumed, since it is not stored in fat like Vitamin A and such.

BUT, your kidneys still have to actually go through the action of removing all the B5, so you are definitely keeping them busy.

I tried the B5 last year for about 5 months. It seemed to work great in the beginning for a few weeks, then it was an up/down rollercoaster. In the long run I figured out that I just had a naturally clear period at the start, and my acne has always been worse at certain intervals.

Kev