Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lol... I have looked around this site, and nobody seems to acknowledge the use of antibiotics to get clear... It's either topicals for mild acne, or roaccutane for almost anything... I've got to wait about 5 more weeks for my letter to come telling me when I get to see a derm (which personally I think it's friggin stupid...)and wondering whether I should just go straight on roaccutane, or do something different? I know for the majority of people the drug has given them beautifully clear skin, but meh... It seems like such a last resort but people seem to just go straight on it lol.

meh.

Its worth remembering that for most of the people who use this site their acne is a big thing in their life and generally have lots of problems with it, hence the seemingly high proportion of people who take accutane. The ones who use topicals or one course of antibiotics generally don't use this site!

englishmuppet

At the risk of being sued by Roche or whoever it is that manufacture this nasty drug, I would like to offer my humble advice on Roaccutane. Principally: DO NOT TAKE IT.

Come on, do some research. There's bloody action groups out there trying to prevent its manufacture! It has killed many and will kill more. I was really, really lucky on it - I did no-where near enough research and, clearly, was young and stupid. Yes, I hated my acne (god, how I hated it) but, had I been sufficiently armed with fact then I just wouldn't have gone there. Since taking it I have been an outpatient at 5 different hospitals for inexplicable problems ranging from a frankly terrifying neurological disorder to strange skin complaints - to name but a few. I had been well and healthy all my life until I started on the drug, but have since developed anxiety about my health that simply wasn't there before.

And, like everyone else I know, it cleared me up for two blissful years and then suddenly everything went wrong again. This regimen is safe, fool-proof and does not engender any known health risks. I sincerely hope that you will try this for some time before you agree to start a course of roaccutane.

I'm sorry for the trouble that you've suffered from RHW, but millions of people (maybe even 10's of millions) have used roaccutane over the last 25 years and it really is only a very small percentage of people who have had problems. I myself haven't been on roaccutane, I would like to have gone on it, but my liver enzymes kept me out. There are many people on here who will sing the praises of roaccutane as they have had no problems with it. I do however acknowledge that some people such as RHW have ended up with chronic problems after taking it.

I'm considering going on it, despite the fact that there are side effects. There are side effects with any drugs that you take, and being on antibiotics I'm actually a little fed up of the side effects of them- stomach pain is not fun. Accutane only has a slight possibility of severe permanent damage; pretty much like any other drug and if I bum myself down by researching the possibilities then obviously I'm going to be against it. But if I took the drug then I would pretty much be certain to have clear skin; sometimes I've seen on the site even better than what you started with rofl.

Accutane only has a slight possibility of severe permanent damage; pretty much like any other drug and if I bum myself down by researching the possibilities then obviously I'm going to be against it.

Really?

I give up. Enjoy roaccutane, Englishmuppet, and be sure not to "bum yourself down with research." Research - what a waste of time eh. Who'd want to bum themselves down with research?

And, obviously, Roaccutane is 'just like any drug.'

Actually, I'll stop there. I can't even be bothered.

Accutane only has a slight possibility of severe permanent damage; pretty much like any other drug and if I bum myself down by researching the possibilities then obviously I'm going to be against it.

Really?

I give up. Enjoy roaccutane, Englishmuppet, and be sure not to "bum yourself down with research." Research - what a waste of time eh. Who'd want to bum themselves down with research?

My point was almost any drug will have on the warnings bit of the paper: RISK OF LIVER FAILURE, HAIR LOSS, HEART FAILURE... Hell, all drugs will have some sort of risk.

And considering for the so many people who have been really pleased with the drug on here, I should consider myself lucky if I get to take it rofl.

Really?

My point was almost any drug will have on the warnings bit of the paper: RISK OF LIVER FAILURE, HAIR LOSS, HEART FAILURE... Hell, all drugs will have some sort of risk.

And considering for the so many people who have been really pleased with the drug on here, I should consider myself lucky if I get to take it rofl.

just though id give you my thoughts on Roaccutane. Ive been on it twice, yeah my spots came back a couple of years after taking it but its the only treatment thats ever really worked. I did get some side effects (really dry/chapped lips, bad knees and burnt in the sun) but i think it was worth it. Id like to go on it again.

I dont remember ever feeling depressed because of the drug, the only thing that ever got me down was the state of my skin!!

I think Roaccutane is worth a try, if it doesnt suit you stop taking it.

I joined this site as a last resort because the only thing left for me was roaccutane. I think that a lot of people on the boards don't take the drug seriously enough. Thousands have got clear from it, and I have to say I get tempted to go on it, just to clear up my now moderate acne. However all I have to do is look at the risks and I get put off. I also get scared because I don't think enough research has gone into th long- term effects of the drug. By this I mean, what happens 20- 30 years after taking the drug?

If you want this drug- by all means go on it. Just research it a bit first eh?

i think accutane is hte only thing that can help acne. im going to the doctor tomorrow to ask him if he can put me on the drug. you just have to be confidednt that you wont be depressed etc. im a very strong person so im very confident aobut this drug

I have got a prescription for it... though not sure whether I want to go on it. I'm not sure if my acne is bad enough for the drug; But I've been given Isotrexin gel which is like supposed to be the gel form of it.. bah.

If your even questioning going on it, then maybe you should think are you just going to take it for the sake of it.

But if you are unhappy and feel like you've tried eveything, go for it.

I have got a prescription for it... though not sure whether I want to go on it. I'm not sure if my acne is bad enough for the drug; But I've been given Isotrexin gel which is like supposed to be the gel form of it.. bah.

Ah the gel aint that great- I tried that and it really burned my face. Maybe my skin is just too sensitive for it though.

Ah the gel aint that great- I tried that and it really burned my face. Maybe my skin is just too sensitive for it though.

No, I stopped using the gel as it actually made my spots erupt and it was a bit bloody too... So touch wood I don't get any deep scars. I stopped using it and now my spots have gone down lol, but they flared up because of that stupid gel makes me angry... lol.

Have a month to decide whether to go on roaccutane... Well till the 17th of april... Guess it will let me see if time itself will just heal my spots... and if it doesn't then the last resort it readily available. (with probably aboiut an hours waiting time in the hospital.)

You doubters are really fond of trying to persude people NOT to live a life of clear skin and happy nature. Hey EnglishMuppet and anyone else who'd like to...I'm on Roaccutane right now, I've had moderate-sever acne for a while now so I decided to go on it a few weeks ago. I highly recommend checking out my Log, BlackTaxi2d's, TennesseeGrl's and AmberLynns Logs among many others. They're also on accutane and its not as "severe" (the side effects and drug itself) as some of this people make it out to be. Even Dan himself said he was glad to go on accutane when he was young as it did clear up his acne enough for him to use the regimen, his regimen.

It's your life, so you decide what you want to do with it. Personally...I was fed up with acne and I want it gone before it really starts to screw around and get worse and keep me from living life to my fullest. Those side effects those guys explained are running it out of proportion...usually people only get a headache for week 1 then just dry skin and chapped lips. Im on it now, have been for 10 days and the only side effect I've really complained about is the chapped lips and dry skin-->but dry skin is ten times better than an oil slicked face :)

Im not trying to advertise it or anything like that. But seriously, its actually a pretty safe drug. You can come off it at any time you like and IT IS the worlds best moniter drug because you and your doc/derm KNOW if there's anything wrong with it. So far, from all the things Ive read, and DONE, accutane is a good drug.

I guarantee you'll be happy you took it by the end of those 5-6 months that you've been on it if u go on it.

;)

It all depends how much you want clear skin, if your sick of your acne and nothing else will clear it go on accutane. Don't listen to these has beens that make up stuff to persuade people not to take it...because their a part of some "anti-accutane" hate group.

I acknowledge it does have some odd side effects and in that rare group of 1% of people, it may/or may not have cause them to think suicidal thoughts.

Before you make your decision check out some of the accutane logs I recommended though. They're good reads whether or not you go on accutane is entirely up to you. I'm merely re-accounting my experience about it and on it.

Cheer! :D

antibiotics served only one purpose for me. and that is giving me enough proof for needing accutane.

accutane is an amazing drug and has helped millions. there is a small minority who have 'suffered'. a tiny tiny tiny minority. find me a drug that is 100% good for everyone.

accutane is potentially the greatest thing i have had in my life, bar my girlfriend. strong claim, yes. but believe me, it's true for me and many others.

If u want to go on roaccutane. In my oppinion its the proper 'cure' for acne. Also i think that all the negative press is B/S and blown out of proportion.....ne1 i know who has taken it has been fine and i bet anythin that i will be two, i reckon most of these 'depressions' etc r just coincidence.....seeing as acne can be depressing anyway and u can have an initial breakout etc. Neway ive rambled on....its ur choice but roaccutane is a brilliant invention, i dont care what the minority say coz ill be ignorant and not listen to their stupid hypocondriac remarks.

much luck, dave

I took Roaccutane in the past and it worked wonders. Thankfully, my skin isn't as bad now.

Yes there has been reports about it's side-effects just like you have side effects with any drug or treatment. There's no point in anyone saying that it's all coincidence or whatever because some people will have made their minds up before they get all the facts.

I'm considering going on it, despite the fact that there are side effects. There are side effects with any drugs that you take, and being on antibiotics I'm actually a little fed up of the side effects of them- stomach pain is not fun. Accutane only has a slight possibility of severe permanent damage; pretty much like any other drug and if I bum myself down by researching the possibilities then obviously I'm going to be against it. But if I took the drug then I would pretty much be certain to have clear skin; sometimes I've seen on the site even better than what you started with rofl.

In the States, this medicine is highly regulated so I have no idea how other countries distribute it.

The important thing to understand, no matter where you live, is that it's dangerous to self diagnose and self medicate without proper supervision and monitoring. It's not like taking a vitamin, it's a strong medication used in last resort cases when all other treatments have been exhausted. It's much more involved than just buying it and taking it, even if you can do it in your country without doctor supervision, so see the doctor first.

You may or may not even be a candidate but if you are, there are other factors to consider than the presence of acne itself:

The type and severity of acne

The history of your acne and past treatments/reactions

Blood levels

general health

There are a lot of guidelines and you should definitely follow a doctor's advice.

What's more, most doctors don't just throw you on the high dose right from the beginning but work the dosage up.

It can be an excellent treatment for acne and while there are rare cases of extreme medical problems, the majority of patients suffer only minor side effects.

Good luck.

BTW, you guys do realize that Accutane and Roaccutane is exactly the same thing, yeah? As is a few other generic brands using different names -- it's still the same exact medication.

In the States, this medicine is highly regulated so I have no idea how other countries distribute it.

The important thing to understand, no matter where you live, is that it's dangerous to self diagnose and self medicate without proper supervision and monitoring. It's not like taking a vitamin, it's a strong medication used in last resort cases when all other treatments have been exhausted. It's much more involved than just buying it and taking it, even if you can do it in your country without doctor supervision, so see the doctor first.

You may or may not even be a candidate but if you are, there are other factors to consider than the presence of acne itself:

Blood levels

general health

There are a lot of guidelines and you should definitely follow a doctor's advice.

What's more, most doctors don't just throw you on the high dose right from the beginning but work the dosage up.

It can be an excellent treatment for acne and while there are rare cases of extreme medical problems, the majority of patients suffer only minor side effects.

Good luck.

BTW, you guys do realize that Accutane and Roaccutane is exactly the same thing, yeah? As is a few other generic brands using different names -- it's still the same exact medication.

I think theoretically the drug is supposed to be highly regulated. They do take into account your blood levels and general health I suppose, but I guess it's just because my general health has been fine, but the derm seemed to think OHWELLS, IF THE DOCTOR THOUGHT YOU NEEDED IT, YOU NEED IT. Which is silly, as the derm is supposed to decide whether the drug is needed...

But I've decided to go on it, am gonna make my own blog type thing now :)

Blood levels

general health

Good luck.

I think theoretically the drug is supposed to be highly regulated. They do take into account your blood levels and general health I suppose, but I guess it's just because my general health has been fine, but the derm seemed to think OHWELLS, IF THE DOCTOR THOUGHT YOU NEEDED IT, YOU NEED IT. Which is silly, as the derm is supposed to decide whether the drug is needed...

But I've decided to go on it, am gonna make my own blog type thing now :)

Well.....if your doc is allowing you to determine your own dosage, for godsake do some research (i really worry about this) and consider these standard forms of treatment:

1) Start off a on a low dose for the first month (20mg or 40mg daily).

2) Have blood test monthly (I can't remember everything but they do a full lipid panel, I think, cholesteral check, and pregnancy test if you are female)

3)Increase your dose the second month but do not go on maxium dose until third month.

4)Maximum dose should be about a mg/kg ratio. So if you are 40kg, you should only take 80mg a day -- if and only if your blood test is cleared and you can tolerate it. If you're not sure, 60mg is more than enough to be effective.

5)Maximum dose is usually only done 2-3 months with the last month tapered down to a lower dose.

6)Eat a healthy, well balanced diet and watch your fat and cholesteral intake.

7)NO ALCOHOL whatsoever!!

8)Don't smoke

9)Drink lots of water

10)Read ALL the other guidelines and follow them religiously.

Good luck!

People are blowing this Accutane side effect thing way outta proportion. If you wanna go on it, fine. If you don't then fair enough. Nearly every medication has side effects.

I took Roaccutane and had no problems at all, except dry lips and a 'Roaccutane glow'. It certainly knocked my acne on the head. After a while some mild acne came back which I try to control with the Regimen.

I would follow the doctor's instructions but it certainly works.

jim

How do you actually get Roaccutane in the UK??

Ive been on minocycline for 3 years with very little affect.

Thank you

How do you actually get Roaccutane in the UK??

Ive been on minocycline for 3 years with very little affect.

Thank you

You have to be prescribed it by a dermalogist who believes you to be a suitable canditate (it is usually on prescribed for moderate- severe cases). If you go to your doctor he should be able to refer you to a good dermatolgist. However, it can be quite a lengthy process as some derms like you to have tried many antibiotics and creams first and use roaccutane as a last resort, and I think you also need to pass tests on your liver and stuff to check your body can cope with it :)