Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In the long run I know that tanning is very bad for skin... but here is what I have expirenced... I have very bad acne on my back. and acne on my face a little...

When I go tanning, in the tanning beds and even in the sun, my acne clears up! I actually havent been tanning in a few years, but I am thinking of going back again....

I'm not someone who goes in the bed for an hour (I dont think thats possible, but u get what I mean). I have very light skin and so when I go, I usually go in it for 5 or 6 minutes... even my mother (who is a nurse) has said the same thing...

Has anyone else had this?

yes. my skin is amazing when i tan. i love tanning. it does everything from boost my mood to make me look thinner. but lots of people on this board think it's nowhere near the extreme risk it poses, and apparently there are side effects that you will never know about until you are 40 and riddled with cancer and look like you're 80. but that cancer could have come ffrom your accutane, nail polish fumes, splenda , or drinking non organic milk as a teenager so who knows. the aginc could have come from not sleeping enough, benzoyl peroxide, taking drugs, or anything else.

basically do what you want to do and determine for yourself if its beneficial or harmful, because everyone has different opinions.

Hmmm, I think that above post was talking about me. :D

I'm 41 and not riddled with cancer, but I do have sundamaged skin ... and it started looking that way (dry, lined, taut) quite a while ago, in my late 20s even. So sun damage doesn't take all that long to catch up to you. I've been able to improve my skin pretty dramatically by exfoliating and using a powerful retinol cream, but I do wish I'd just started using those products way back in my 20s INSTEAD of turning my skin into leather for however many years.

I have also been reading some scary stuff about how UV exposure increases your risk of scarring.

Hmmm, I think that above post was talking about me. :D

I'm 41 and not riddled with cancer, but I do have sundamaged skin ... and it started looking that way (dry, lined, taut) quite a while ago, in my late 20s even. So sun damage doesn't take all that long to catch up to you. I've been able to improve my skin pretty dramatically by exfoliating and using a powerful retinol cream, but I do wish I'd just started using those products way back in my 20s INSTEAD of turning my skin into leather for however many years.

I have also been reading some scary stuff about how UV exposure increases your risk of scarring.

no no i didn't mean to personally attack you or anything lol, i'm just saying that sometimes this board isn't open to people giving their opinions or saying their experiences with things if they go against conventional wisdom. obviously i realize tanning is bad for you, can cause all sorts of cancers and premature aging - tanning in itself is a form of scarring. on paper it's a bad idea. but i'm saying that some people can withstand a tan without getting too many adverse effects. people whos skin blisters or routinely burns should stay out of the sun as much as possible - they'll get all of the negatives and none of the positives of tanning. personally i feel so much better when i have a bit of a tan, i feel much more attractive. my skin doesn't burn, and is still very moist and elastic [granted i'm 19]. i exfoliate and moisturize, and otherwise take excellent care of myself. i dont smoke and i have a very healthy diet. i feel like this board is awesome when people are open to everyone sharing their experiences, whether they are the same or different, or healthy or unhealthy experiences. but that doesnt always happen because some people tell me i'm stupid or foolish because i tan once in a while - that doesn't feel good. it's fine to say you disagree but dont make it into a personal attack.

Oh, I wasn't really taking it personally ... that was a joke.

Anyway, I hear what you are saying, but my warning still holds ... I tan very, very easily as well, and rarely burn. But I still managed to damage my skin. So I will just say this: when you tan, do it thru an SPF of at least 15 on your face ... and wear a hat. Because you only get one face.

yea no kidding about that only one face business... sometimes i wish we could turn back time with certain body parts!

i have a lot of earrings and let a couple scar. it's annoying. i hate getting them lanced. it;s just barbaric. why couldnt i just have used alcohol for a month longer!! :boohoo: