Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alistra

Very Sensitive Eyes - please help!

Hello,

I was posting here a while back, but my skin has been mostly under control and it has been a while. I could not remember my log-in info, so anyway I guess I am a newbie again. Hello!

I have very sensitive acne prone skin. I never really had any problems with make-up until recently. I was using Bare Minerals foundation, blush, mineral veil and eye shadows. I usually used Philosophy lash darkener instead of mascara. About a year ago, my eye lids started getting very inflamed, red and itchy whenever I wore any eye make-up. I stopped wearing anything except the face make-up (still BE foundation, blush and mineral veil as it was not bothering my skin or causing acne). I went to my regular Dr, and she was not at all helpful. She said it might be excema, and that the treatment was worse than the symptoms in my case. I asked her if I could wear make-up again, and she just shrugged. No help there! I guess she didn't think this was a "real" problem. :(

I recently tired again with Corey Cosmetics (small online company that makes mica-free shadows for sensitive eyes) mineral eye shadows and Gabriel Cosmetics mascara. Also tried Aubrey Organics Silken Earth make-up. Eyes got red, swollen and itchy :( I guess the world won't end if I don't find anything, but I do like the "polished" look of a bit of make-up. Any suggestions??? If possible I am looking for something natural, not animal tested and non irritating to acne-prone skin. Thanks so much!!!

I really like origin's mascara. it makes lashes look nice and 'polished' without spiderlash! it's made from nice ingredients like flowers lol. i havent really looked into it but it works for me, but i dont have this sensitive problem. you'll probably just have to try stuff till one works. also, natural products arent always the best choice for very sensitive skin, some of the minerals and unrefined ingredients can actually be irritating.

edit: putting vaseline on your lashes gives them that shiny, dark, defined look...would that irritate your eyes?

Thanks for the reply! You are probably right that it really boils down to trial and error, I just want to know what is working for others (especially on this board, since people who have not/don't suffer from acne won't understand that is a very important issue for me). Also, good point about the "natural" stuff being more irritating sometimes.

Guest Gentle~Rain

I would question a lot of things before I ditch the eye makeup. First what colors do you wear? Different pigments may cause allergies. Especially some natural stuff....I once had a bad reaction to a product that used natural beet juice to color it. I would also break it down into steps. The Philosophy lash darkener .... are you still using the same tube? It could be contaminated. Ditch it and start with a new one. Don't use it or anything until your eyes are clear. Once they seem normal, then just start with that one product. Does it bother you?Do the same with your eye shadow. Unfortunetly if you had an infection, you may have contaminated all your eye makeup and are just spreading it back to your eyes each time you apply any. This one is a long shot and rare...but do you have animal allergies and do you use a natural hair brush for application? It could be bothering you. Start fresh, start new and keep it clean. One last thought, Do you wear contacts? If so you could actually be having a reaction to the chemicals you clean those with....many people are sensitive to those and when you are wearing your lenses, it can really irritate your eyes.

I would question a lot of things before I ditch the eye makeup. First what colors do you wear? Different pigments may cause allergies. Especially some natural stuff....I once had a bad reaction to a product that used natural beet juice to color it. I would also break it down into steps. The Philosophy lash darkener .... are you still using the same tube? It could be contaminated. Ditch it and start with a new one. Don't use it or anything until your eyes are clear. Once they seem normal, then just start with that one product. Does it bother you?Do the same with your eye shadow. Unfortunetly if you had an infection, you may have contaminated all your eye makeup and are just spreading it back to your eyes each time you apply any. This one is a long shot and rare...but do you have animal allergies and do you use a natural hair brush for application? It could be bothering you. Start fresh, start new and keep it clean. One last thought, Do you wear contacts? If so you could actually be having a reaction to the chemicals you clean those with....many people are sensitive to those and when you are wearing your lenses, it can really irritate your eyes.

Good info....especially about the infection thing....people would be suprised how easily underpreserved cosmetics can grow bugs. The Bare Minerals eyeshadows are very underpreserved. Which is great for the very few consumers who are sensitive to preservatives, but unpreserved and underpreserved eye products are great breeding grounds for bugs....The may be fine when they leave the plant, but you inoculate with the bugs from your skin them every time you apply them...

I like the Bare Minerals Glimmers, but I've had one of mine forever, and I've used it wet before (they say you can use them wet or dry...I used to mix it with a little water in the cap). I got a little irritated once after using it, so I sent it to the micro department and asked the guys if I had a bug situation....

If was full of all sorts of gross stuff: staphylococci, pseudomonas, yeasts and fungi galore, and some good old enterobactreiaceae....all the level were way out of spec.....

I bought a new one and I keep it in the freezer, and never use it wet......I keep my BE foundations there too, and I make sure to always wash my brushes with antibacterial soap....

Thanks Gentle Rain! I have already ditched the lash darkner (and get a new tube of whatever I am using every 3 months or so). I usually wear neutral pink, brown and tan shades. I have pale skin and blue eyes. I am aiming for the "natural look." No contacts or glasses. Sometimes I feel like my skin hates me :(

I threw out all of the old shadows, etc. I am not sure what type of brushes I use. I think they are synthetic, but I will check on that. I am allergic to my cats, so who knows?? I am also careful to wash them to prevent break-outs. Hmmm, I will try the add one thing at a time. I am sure it would be helpful to pinpoint whatever is causing the problem! :) This has been frustrating me, and I would love to find a solution :wall: It kind of feels like when I first started really breaking out (early to mid 20s - I had beautiful skin before that).

Thanks!

Thanks for the insight Labgirl - eeek! That sounds really scary! I am a bit of a germ phobe, but I think it is easy to forget how unsanitary our make-up and skincare stuff can be. :shock: That freezer idea is interesting. I have never heard anyone mention this before.

Thanks!

i'm a germophobe too so i dont like hearing these things, but i guess it's better to know so you can try to minimize the bugs instead of walking around ignorant and providing a nice environment for these germs!

i always replace my mascara at least every six months, or whenever i have the money, lol, because apparenyly it;s a breeding ground for germs and can get really dangerous