Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is my first actual post on this thing, however, I've been reading through topics and advice for a while now. I've had moderate acne since I was around 14 years old. I'm now 20 years old and it hasn't gone away like everyone said it would with age. My acne isn't extreme but I am never completely clear. Every once in a while I'll break out pretty badly, but for the most part, I just have mild daily acne and red marks that will not go away. Lately these all seem to be getting worse. I've basically tried every single cleanser available for purchase in stores and nothing has worked. I even went on birth control solely because I've heard it clears you up... once again, it didn't work. A lot of you have seemed to have tried Accutane and although I was seriously thinking about it, it's really just something I do not feel comfortable doing, mainly because of the side effects, but mostly because I'm extremely uptight when it comes to medication. I'm very extreme when it comes to my health and what I put into my body and I never take any medication unless I *absolutely* have to.

I recently went to a clinical aesthetician who recommended I try 'photodynamic therapy' along with a topical medication called 'aminolevulinic acid' for my acne. She told me that she feels (like in most acne cases) my pores are enlarged and are producing too much oil, therefore, causing excess bacteria. She assured me that this treatment will shrink my pores and clear up my acne. I have since researched and studied up on this procedure and have found that it has mainly been used to treat 'actinic keratosis' which is an early potential sign of skin cancer. Recent studies have shown that after a series of sessions of photodynamic therapy, there was an immense improvent in repairing acne, rosacea and sun damage. There are also no negative side effects which is a main difference when compared to other acne treatments. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of or even tried photodynamic therapy. It's considerably expensive and I'm just so sick of wasting my hard-earned money on acne 'cures' that never work. I suggest reading the two articles I've included in this post for further information ~

*Article One*

*Article Two*

Thanks so much guys! <333

what kind of acne do u have?

is it still active

I don't have severe acne but sometimes I do get really bad breakouts. I have daily acne that's mainly on the sides of my cheeks and chin. I think the clinical aesthetician referred to them as pustules (sp?). I'm also constantly really shiny and wearing makeup just makes it worse. I have a lot of red marks from previous breakouts and I figured the photodynamic therapy will help with that as well seeing as how it repairs sun damage and age spots.

what kind of acne do u have?

is it still active

I don't have severe acne but sometimes I do get really bad breakouts. I have daily acne that's mainly on the sides of my cheeks and chin. I think the clinical aesthetician referred to them as pustules (sp?). I'm also constantly really shiny and wearing makeup just makes it worse. I have a lot of red marks from previous breakouts and I figured the photodynamic therapy will help with that as well seeing as how it repairs sun damage and age spots.

will taht make ur acne to comeback

Hey starcrossed,

Actually I just had this procedure done 2 weeks ago. I had Levulan with Blu-u light. Levulan on for 15 mins and then the Blu-U light for 8 mins.

Basically, my skin got moderately red just like a sunburn, peaking about 48 hrs after. It then faded away in about a week. A little bit of skin peeling.

I had had acne since i was 13.... i am 35 now and it never went away. I've been on Accutane twice ... which really helped, especially the first time. But it came back eventually but never as bad as it was.

I have to say I'm very impressed with the PDT treatment.... i was having daily breakouts just before the procedure and I haven't had any since. I still have some spots leftever from before the procedure which are healing nicely. So far so good! I'm going back next Friday for round two.

However, I have heard of people on this site that didnt' have any luck with it..... go figure.

I have to say though .... if I could do anything over, I would have done Accutane a lot earlier when I was a teen, before it got too bad resulting in scars. Mine aren't that bad, but I could give anything to go back and do Accutane earlier...... so, not trying to influence you but if I were in your shoes, I'd do accutane before you get scars because it is a universally proven solution. I'd do another course in a minute if it weren't for the fact that you can't have any scar treatments done for some time after taking Accutane and i want to have things done.

Cheers, and g'luck.

Paul

Thanks so much for your relpy Paul, I have to ask you though, do you think that if the PDT were available back then you would have just done that instead of going on Accutane? Did you suffer from any adverse side effects from the accutane? I realize that I should probably at least try it before I jump to any conclusions, I'm just nervous because I've heard a lot of horror stories. There aren't any negative side effects from the PDT though which is why I'm seriously considering just going that route instead. How much did the therapy cost you. I think for me it would be around $40 each time. Thanks again.

Thanks so much for your relpy Paul, I have to ask you though, do you think that if the PDT were available back then you would have just done that instead of going on Accutane? Did you suffer from any adverse side effects from the accutane? I realize that I should probably at least try it before I jump to any conclusions, I'm just nervous because I've heard a lot of horror stories. There aren't any negative side effects from the PDT though which is why I'm seriously considering just going that route instead. How much did the therapy cost you. I think for me it would be around $40 each time. Thanks again.

Hi Starcrossed.....

Well, knowing what i know now, I think yes I'd go straight to the Accutane EARLY and agressively. There are a lot of horror stories but i personally think they are overblown. Accutane has been around for decades and hence there has been a lot of time to create a negative image. I think the really bad side effects are very rare and the odds are in your favor. You're going to be DRY DRY DRY, and it is uncomfortable, but well worth it. I had very dry lips, nose and skin the first time around. It was fairly bad. Second time around it was a snap .... just moderately dry lips and that was it.

As for PDT, it is NOT without side effects, don't kid yourself. I've heard bad stories about it too. I also hear that 1 in 10 have an "exuberant" reaction where they turn bright red and swell up. I also hear it doesn't work that well for some people. I have a believe in PDT ..... but I don't think it works for a lot of people... but i know Accutane works for almost everyone. If I were in your boots today, I'd go stright to Accutane and do a long course to really flush it out and get it over with so you can get on with your life scar free. Don't screw around with cystic acne..... use the biggest, baddest weapon available. I wish did.

My PDT cost me $300 (Canadian).... $40 doesn't sound right, that might be just the light alone... cause the Levulan prescription was at least $150 by itself. I will probably get 3 treatments altogether.

I go for my second one a week from today ...... and its been 2 weeks since my last and no active acne.

cheers,

Paul