Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aelurus

I finished an Accutane course and my acne hasn't cleared!

I've been on Oratane for 8 months now, 40mg a day. Initially my acne did clear up somewhat, I was very happy with the results. Then one month into my course I had to stop temporarily for a month because of army training(conscription is practised here in Singapore) and then my condition backslid. When I went back on the course my condition never returned to the level before I stopped. Sure, it improved to a certain extent-it was definitely better than before I went on Tane-but then it stopped there and now I still get these horrible cysts that refuse to go away. I feel so discouraged. The derm said he'll put me off Tane for a couple of months and then go for another course. I'm hoping it'll work out then. How commonly does Accutane fail?

Your course was interrupted, so it's not really surprising if it fails. You may continue to improve during the two month break - my first course i did not clear until a couple months after the course and then remained clear for a long time. But you may need that second one. Taking a second course greatly improves your chances of remission, so don't freak out just yet.

I wasn't completely clear when I finished, and have yet to see if I'll get any better. Hopefully, you'll be able to figure something out soon.

Good luck!

So the main reason the course failed is because it was interrupted midway? Dang the medical officer. I hope I improve further, but the problem is those cysts take forever to subside, if at all. Otherwise it's fine. But it's still painful and unsightly.